Big Decision: Which Asian country is ideal for foreign retirees?

webfact

19 minutes ago, Smoothsailing1 said:

Vietnam removed all Covid restrictions. At least they are in touch with reality in that regard. It is worth considering when more pandemics are on the way and there will be a 2024 pandemic treaty.

It is worth widening your search to South America.

Do it all again in retrospective, and this is quite a new point of view for me based on the last almost 3 years experiences with COVID and war in Europe.

Portugal with short travel back home to Norway, to Spain, the Riviera, the Alps and to South America (Brazil)

In Portugal I get all the advantages as an Schengen member, so not really a big brainer. I would not have settled in Thailand today or Phillippines. Vietnam and Cambodia have never been an option for me, but Malaysia have been on my maybe list, but not anymore.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

Just thinking of hassle free travel inside Europe on my motorbike. No worries at all living in a low cost country in Europe. 

A cheap decent table wine 3 euro, A decent quality  bottle of wine 10 euro, at 20 euro and up we start talking good quality. In thailand, what do we get for 20 euro.

Cheese, sousages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WinterGael said:

After the Vietnam War, most of Southeast Asia was pretty much closed to the west. That's not the case anymore. Laos, Vietnam, Cbodua, Myanmar all looked back at Thailand.  The problem is, Thailand's riding the wave of yesterday, while everyone else is looking towards tomorrow and want to put Thailand in their rear view mirror, which they are doing.  

Well apart from Vietnam has recently made in impossible for Westerners to retire there , due to not giving long term visas 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 12:12 AM, Highend Expat said:

Only truly exceptional expats can cope with Japanese culture. It's the total opposite of virtually everything else in Asia. The social contract is exhausting. Even East Asians find it nearly impossible to assimilate. Japan is not a comfortable place to live, especially for old Farangs.. 

Absolutely.  It's a great country to visit but oh my goodness to retire there?  No freaking way.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to retire there and would love to hear of the story of those that did.  

Japan turns into a sentence after a while and yes, the social contracts are extremely exhausting to put it mildly.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hummin said:

In thailand, what do we get for 20 euro.

Oh maybe a dozen beers while one eyes up a potential companion...... there are probably regulations against that in Euroland!

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Oh maybe a dozen beers while one eyes up a potential companion...... there are probably regulations against that in Euroland!

If thats is the most important factor, dont even think about it. Your hard earned pension will be gone in one weekend. 

Edited by Hummin

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

If thats is the most important factor, dont even think about it. Your hard earned pension will be gone in one weekend. 

My pension is just the pin money I give the Mrs!