Big Decision: Which Asian country is ideal for foreign retirees?

webfact

4 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Sorry for not agreeing. Yes, food is great in Mexico, but it's also a matter of taste and I found it a bit on the repetitive side, I like it but on balance I prefer Asian food. As for women, I definitely do not find Mexican women that good looking, the ratio of overweight women (and men) is very high in Mexico, certainly more than in a number of Asian countries. Now, I love Mexico, it's one of the nicest countries to visit and maybe to stay, for sure.

Mexican food can seemed similar and repetitive no doubt., but it is delicious comfort food at its finest.  I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't want to force or debate on attractiveness.  I will say one last thing on Thai women,  they're not getting smaller from what I've seen these days. ????

• Like 1

I personally don't think Thailand should be placed at No2,, since the Military none elected Government took control in 2014 Thailand has deteriorated for ex-pats, and made it un- friendly 

and more of a Dictatorship with its citizens, I personally believe Vietnam should be placed top. 

15 hours ago, Capella said:

Agreed Philippine food is probably the worst in the region. Most of it is vile. It's why you see hardly any Philippine restaurants anywhere else. 

Yet all the JOLLY BEE fast food joints are always full, with long lines waiting to order/pick=up.  That explains all the Pinoys' Jolly Bee Bellies"

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2022 at 7:54 PM, Guderian said:

I've been mulling this over lately as the pandemic draws to a close. Do I want to stay in Thailand forever more or would it be better to move elsewhere? I'm happy in Thailand and have been living here for almost 18 years now, but the lack of an official retirement programme worries me more and more as I get older. Specifically, I'm concerned that they might suddenly come up with, for example, full medical insurance requirements in order to extend a Non-Imm O visa for a year, as has happened with the OA visas. If you have any kind of a complicated medical history, even if you're 100% fit today, the insurance policy exclusions often mean that it's not possible to get full cover and, indeed, it can be unclear what exactly is covered by it until you need to make a claim against the policy and it's denied. And then, once you get into your late 70's or 80's, the annual premium can become similar to buying a small car every year, simply impractical. It's not only medical insurance, of course, they could change the rules in a number of other ways that might make life much more expensive and less pleasant here. At least in Malaysia they have a formal retirement programme, though the financial requirements might be too much for a lot of people, so you have certain legal rights which you do not have in Thailand, and never will have as far as I can see. All most of us have here is the right to beg for a new extension every year, which is usually granted without any issues, but my concern is that this may not always remain the case. As you get older, good quality hospitals and medical care are a must, which basically reduces the candidates to just Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. Forget the island state, it's not a good choice for most, and to my mind it leaves Thailand and Malaysia looking similar on most fronts that matter, but Malaysia offers greater security in your retirement (if you can afford it) with its formal programme for retirees.

Malaysia also offers an arrogant Muslim mindset and ill-mannered Chinese Malaysians.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

For geopolitical purposes, the entire Arab world + Israel is referred to as the Middle East, regardless of what the atlas says.

That's misleading. Middle Eastern not Arab.Turkey is in Europe and Asia. Middle East is a GEOPOLITICAL term. Purely geographically, Israel is in ASIA without any doubt.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

Who wrote this no-research, no-reality "article"? There are a whole list of non-gems that should be mentioned for various of the listed countries... Not wanting to be negative, but solid information before you decide to move to a country is what it takes, not a page filler.

I've seen a lot of these shallow world-retirement rankings published in the States. Mostly all they figure into it is the cost of living. Hey--let's go retire in Islamabad, the cheapest major city in the world.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, and one of the reasons why I left bureaucratic Thailand after 20 years to settle happily "next door" (2 years to date).  One does not deal with an Immigration Office for starters, only an official local agent who checks your application form, collects your passport and 300 US$ (or thereabouts) for an annual retirement visa and sends to Phnom Penh Immigration Office for processing. No proof of income, no large sum of money in the bank, in fact no bank account at all and no insurance requirements. Once in possession of your annual retirement visa that is it until renewing it 12 months later. NO 90-day reports, no TM30's etc. What you must check is that you are registered on FPCS (Foreigners Present in Cambodia System) which is the duty of your hotel, landlord, house owner etc. and NOT YOU. So easy and totally hassle free!

Sounds great--no need for a local bank account as long as you can access cash with your home country's ATM card. Keep a home-country address in order to continue online banking. And the women are, of course, amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe it is simply more accurate to say a muslim woman cannot marry a non muslim man. A man is restricted to muslim, Jew or Christian women....Saudi women can only marry Saudis I believe.

Not sure how strict that is worldwide, but it is 'traditional'...

NO--a non-Muslim of either gender marrying a Muslim must normally convert to Islam both by government law and family honor. I know this from 19 years in the Middle East and two years in Malaysia.

19 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

I've seen a lot of these shallow world-retirement rankings published in the States. Mostly all they figure into it is the cost of living. Hey--let's go retire in Islamabad, the cheapest major city in the world.

That's a bit of an exageration. However Nicaragua is usually included as the lowest cost option but that's questionable considering their anti American dictator and crime in Managua. Of course you don't have to live in Managua but expats are obligated to visit there for immigration and health care matters. Other than that Nicaragua has a lot of plusses 

Edited by Jingthing

18 hours ago, Capella said:

Agreed Philippine food is probably the worst in the region. Most of it is vile. It's why you see hardly any Philippine restaurants anywhere else. 

It's probably the reason so many young women have flabby bellies there despite the fact that they don't get much to eat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, PhineusFreek said:

Have you even been there? I doubt it

Oh, I have. Several times. Had a gf there. Apparently you missed the sidewalks that are unwalkable and the 50+ motorbikes at every street corner, and the fact that it takes a car 45 minutes to travel about 10 or 12 km from the center market area). Also been to Hanoi; I remember it being much easier to walk around there; in fact I'm sure of that.

10 hours ago, ChC1 said:

None of the countries should be in normal retirees' mind unless you are ready to form a family locally. For single retirees there are much better place to live, Florida, Spain or Malta. For family retirees, the world is your oyster, while many would favour closer to grandchildren.

Thailand is a special case, we can debate for years but everyone here love Thailand for special reasons, that including the shameful word and more ordinarily, family ties. Any ordinary western retirees (***definition: does not have family ties to Asia and not prepared to have relationship with locals and does not like Asian culture and/or food, and not adventurous enough to move to a different culture***) who wants to retire in Asia needs their heads examined. 

So, other Asian countries can not simply copy Thailand's offering. And many people who would accept Thailand's offering are unlikely to choose other countries. It is really not a choice for many people. It is either Thailand or closer to home.

For me, the choice is either USA or Australia. I can not live without Costco, good coffee shops and English speaking environment (so to make like minded friends easily and to communicate in equal terms). Thailand is a good place to relax for fortnight, but it gets boring and repetitious easily. I value safety, simplicity, privacy, communication and avoid stupidity. 

For anyone who have never lived in Asia before, or do not have or intend to have family ties, and have little tolerance for stupidity, stay out. 

Mexico has big box stores similar to Costco, Amazon Mexico, gringo bubbles like Lake Chapala and San Miguel Allende, and good coffee.

Colombia has big box stores similar to Costco, a local Amazon clone, gringo bubble Poblado Medellin, and the best coffee.

Edited by Jingthing

10 hours ago, ChC1 said:

None of the countries should be in normal retirees' mind unless you are ready to form a family locally. For single retirees there are much better place to live, Florida, Spain or Malta. For family retirees, the world is your oyster, while many would favour closer to grandchildren.

Thailand is a special case, we can debate for years but everyone here love Thailand for special reasons, that including the shameful word and more ordinarily, family ties. Any ordinary western retirees (***definition: does not have family ties to Asia and not prepared to have relationship with locals and does not like Asian culture and/or food, and not adventurous enough to move to a different culture***) who wants to retire in Asia needs their heads examined. 

So, other Asian countries can not simply copy Thailand's offering. And many people who would accept Thailand's offering are unlikely to choose other countries. It is really not a choice for many people. It is either Thailand or closer to home.

For me, the choice is either USA or Australia. I can not live without Costco, good coffee shops and English speaking environment (so to make like minded friends easily and to communicate in equal terms). Thailand is a good place to relax for fortnight, but it gets boring and repetitious easily. I value safety, simplicity, privacy, communication and avoid stupidity. 

For anyone who have never lived in Asia before, or do not have or intend to have family ties, and have little tolerance for stupidity, stay out. 

And nice things in the U.S. that even Europe doesn't have, like 24-hour supermarkets with far greater choices of goods and cheaper prices.

22 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

Who wrote this no-research, no-reality "article"? There are a whole list of non-gems that should be mentioned for various of the listed countries... Not wanting to be negative, but solid information before you decide to move to a country is what it takes, not a page filler.

Obviously its folly to move to a country without doing your own boots on the ground exploration.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChC1 said:

Thailand is a good place to relax for fortnight, but it gets boring and repetitious easily. I value safety, simplicity, privacy, communication and avoid stupidity. For anyone who have never lived in Asia before, or do not have or intend to have family ties, and have little tolerance for stupidity, stay out. 

Never a truer word spoken (or typed)   love it      My ex soi street dog has more smartness/alertness /savvy about him than (not most) but any Thai

Edited by fredscats

11 hours ago, ChC1 said:

Thailand is the last place I would have kids among many other places in Asia, so not sure what you mean "unless you are ready to form a family locally"

Of course if I had enough wealth to secure my family with all their needs, private school, health insurance, a decent safe place to live, and enough to travel the world for inspiration, yes, but no, then other places would be more right for the family. Asia is the last place I would start a family!