Big Decision: Which Asian country is ideal for foreign retirees?

webfact

On 2/15/2022 at 12:30 PM, 473geo said:

Lets see

Private education - my kids will learn to read and write, do calculations, then my money will be spent on training for a suitable trade/profession which will allow them to live comfortably in Thailand.

Health insurance, kids are Thai, they will be fine.

Decent safe place to live, with me and my wife, where there is room if they wish to build their own home.

Travel the world for inspiration, over rated in my opinion, they have all required in Thailand for a decent life.

Agreed. Except Culture/ Sport / History / Innovation / Freedom all a very pale shadow of the West. Not why I’m here with Thai lady & kid though. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Woke to Sounds of Horking said:

Can't agree.  So subjective isn't it.  Lived there 4 yrs, traveled in country frequently.  Prefer Saigon to Hanoi but most of all prefer Danang. Rarely met a local douchebag or anyone holding grudges from war time - though I did meet a couple codgers who DEFINITELY did not like Americans. Then again, met some Hanoians who didn't like Saigonese and vice versa and / or their gov't. Also met a few Vietnamese who really, really disliked China.

100% approved of your post!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pinot said:

I've lived in LOS for 12 years. When the Military took over they immediately made things better in Phuket by taking back the beaches from the corrupt orbotors and made everything better. Since then, I've been a big supporter of Prayuth. The Thai government had descended into anarchy under that corrupt idiot Yingluck. Life has only improved under the military for me. I can't think of one tiny bit of negative impact. How has it deteriorated? That's laughable. Who wants to go back to the anarchy we had under Yingluck? Thailand has never handled democracy well. I'll take it the way it is now. Vietnam? Tsk. The place you have to put your motorbike in your house every night so it won't get stolen. Don't even get me started about Vietnam cops. Very little to recommend about Vietnam. 

I've been going back every spring to the Algarve for a couple of months. Summertime is good time to head back to LOS when the Brits descend on the place. 

You're absolutely right , Thai cops are so much better than Viet cops..????

yes Viet Nam has very little to offer, how dare they be included on the list! 

Its always amazes me how many posters on this site who have decided to retired in Thailand get quickly irk or "triggered" whenever the subject of retirement comes up between LOS nd Viet Nam. ????

Edited by BayArea

36 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, the same for me here in Siem Reap!! I have excluded "beach" because sun/sea/sand are of no interest to me whatsoever. During my 20 years in Thailand, I lived among the lakes, mountains, forests and rural countryside of the North - personal choice. 

Get it ….. would exclude “ rural countryside” which has similar little or no interest to me ! ????????

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, WinterGael said:

They are talking of upping required medical to 3 million baht and or having incredible assets for self insuring.  On top of that, they are also thinking of upping the retirement funds from approximately 23,000$US to 45,000$US.  As I said, being marriage has cheaper costs, but if that goes south, I will likely leave as already retirement requirements here are not cheap.

Tens of thousands have already left, and tens of thousands are in the midst of planning their exits. The only thing that makes sense, is that they simply do not want us here. I will continue to fight them. They are toxic, they are ignorant, and they are extremely xenophobic. They (the goon squad) are lost. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Thai politics -Govt -culture do not concern me. Safe - Warm -Cheap - Open- Friendly- Lifestyle - Beach.

Those are my criteria. Most of other those “recommended” dung holes don’t get past no. 1 criteria SAFE.Siem Reap has a large child sex industry like the whole country plus all that other grim activity you mentioned.

You think Thailand is safe? ???????????? I've talked to too many people who would argue otherwise.  Thais are as likely to pull a gun you as an American. Some crazy <deleted> goes on around here, but I just mind my own business, keep a very cool demeanour and manage to stay out of trouble.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

I've got a few chums moved to Cambodia.  They love it.  Less hassle, getting a job no big deal, even in retirement.  One left because he was fed up with the women in Thailand (and not talking bar girls).  It took him a few months, but he met a woman there who he says puts Thai women to shame.  And Cambodia is growing and developing at a fair clip, so lots of opportunities...

Sounds ok Siem Reap i might go

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WinterGael said:

Islam in Malaysia no more fanatical the Christianity in US.  Outside of the few nur cases, Muslims can be some of the most welcoming people I know.

Seconded. Muslim and non-Muslim Malaysians can be nice and welcoming people. So far I've only visited Western Malaysia, and yes, the cities can be kinda boring. Would like to visit Eastern Malaysia and its nature.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

When the Military took over they immediately made things better in Phuket by taking back the beaches from the corrupt orbotors and made everything better. 

[/quote]

Yes, I remember that.  The beachside restaurants were no longer allowed to place their tables and chairs on the beach for a romantic evening meal.  The sun lounger guys were banned and I had to sit on a towel on the hot sand.

Made things better?  You are entitled to your own opinion, but the actions of the military at my local beach (Nai Yang) ensured that I and many other foreigners never visited it again...

They demolished the illegal restaurants and clubs that had extended onto Surin and every other beach. Leveled them! Incredible! Took the end to end chairs off the beaches and put them into designated areas. Enforced the laws. Returned the beaches to the people of Thailand and the world. Sorry you never come back. It's much better now. 

We'll go on without you and many other foreigners, somehow. My biggest fear is you all come back. 

Just my opinion.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Sounds ok Siem Reap i might go

I think of Cambodia as the wild west. The infrastructure is a big step down from Thailand. Cops are ridiculously corrupt. Siam Reap has few upscale restaurants, lots of poverty, and the place is pretty dirty. It is cheap.  

On 2/14/2022 at 4:07 PM, Dustdevil said:

You got that right. If you want a lunch without a ton of sugar in it, you have to either make it yourself from western-imported goods or else dine at a five-star hotel.

I never ever eat at restaurants or street vendors, as I want to eat healthy, I cook all my own food which is mainly keto, even keto bread. Even 5 star restaurant food is potentially lethal, very often containing too much salt, sugar, carbs, msg, corn flour, wheat flour, trans fats, etc. etc.
Philippine food is fine as long as you buy fresh in the market and then do your own cooking, for those who say they cant cook, i feel very sorry for you as you are probably slowly killing yourself wherever you live.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:35 PM, BayArea said:

Its always amazes me how many posters on this site who have decided to retired in Thailand get quickly irk or "triggered" whenever the subject of retirement comes up between LOS nd Viet Nam. ????

No need as there's no route to retirement in Vietnam.

• Like 1

For me the ideal would be to keep a base in my home country (UK ) say a smallish flat in a decent area and spend 6 months ( the colder ones) in a warmer country or countries. 

A big question would be where can I find cheap rental property in a pleasant area  ? This saves worrying about property maintenance which is a big issue in places which have frequent typhoons, earthquakes  and floods.

Any suggestions in Asia?   

Then you can also  move about every so often if you get fed up!! 

On 2/14/2022 at 10:21 PM, rudi49jr said:

I like Thailand a lot and I will keep visiting in the winter for three months, but most of my retirement will be spent in the south of France. I am a EU citizen, so no hassle with visas or whatever. I speak French, I like the country, love the wine, the weather is lovely most of the time, there’s plenty to see and do. And the Mediterranean Sea is close by, in case I want to spend a couple of hours at a beautiful beach. My Thai wife loves it there as well. 

I'm not retired yet but very much like the Côte d'Azur as well. Kept an apartment in Nice for some time plus have a number of friends that live/work nearby in Sophia Antipolis. I've been thinking that Juan-les-Pins might be a nice place to spend 3 to 6 months out of the year.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, have you visited Siem Reap lately or are your comments based on a pre-Covid-19 visit? There has been a major 2 year infrastructure improvement project throughout the city which is now more or less complete. New concrete and asphalt roads with pavements/sidewalks, pedestrian crossings with traffic lights, special "green" cycle tracks, new street lighting, many refurbished bars/restaurants (some new), riverside walks and much more. Many of the old roadside stalls and shacks have been removed or demolished. Many businesses now have new shop fronts. Pub Street is now smart with no more "alcohol carts" and their ghetto blasting music.

I could see a big improvement in 2017 when I visited Siam Reap with my sisters.  My partner and I had visited a number of years earlier.  We were very impressed in 2017 with the progress that had been made--especially with the roads.  And, I think there was a new government center with a lot of the government agencies in one location--something Pattaya should consider.  I imagine it has improved even more since 2017.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hammerite said:

For me the ideal would be to keep a base in my home country (UK ) say a smallish flat in a decent area and spend 6 months ( the colder ones) in a warmer country or countries. 

A big question would be where can I find cheap rental property in a pleasant area  ? This saves worrying about property maintenance which is a big issue in places which have frequent typhoons, earthquakes  and floods.

Any suggestions in Asia?   

Then you can also  move about every so often if you get fed up!! 

Pattaya checks a lot of boxes.  Good climate year-round.  Low crime.  Excellent shopping and health care facilities.  Wide variety of restaurants.  Large, diverse expat community.  Recreation with golf courses, biking trails by Lake Mabprachan, scuba, etc.   Huge selection of housing for rent at very good prices--everything from large pool villas to oceanfront highrise condos.   Two airports less than 2 hours away--as is Bangkok.  Still some street flooding with heavy rains--being worked on--but I've been here 11 years and so far no earthquakes or typhoons

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grin said:

I'm not retired yet but very much like the Côte d'Azur as well. Kept an apartment in Nice for some time plus have a number of friends that live/work nearby in Sophia Antipolis. I've been thinking that Juan-les-Pins might be a nice place to spend 3 to 6 months out of the year.

Nothing wrong with the Côte d’Azur, on the contrary, but when I said ‘the south of France’ I meant the area around Perpignan, on the Spanish border. Fell in love with it on my first visit in 1983 and have been going back ever since. 

5 hours ago, grin said:

I've been thinking that Juan-les-Pins might be a nice place to spend 3 to 6 months out of the year.

I spent a little time in Juan-les-Pins back in the early 80s, when I went with a couple of mates to see the Monaco Grand Prix, and found it quite enchanting with some small streets harbouring many shops, and some nice restaurants (and some of the "beautiful people") – – and I could well spend 3 to 6 months a year there any time!!

• Like 1