Thais praised for finding Russian tourist's necklace: "That's why our tourism is so magical," says top cop

webfact

16 hours ago, Saanim said:

Really? In LOS? I have never seen a smiling Immigration Officer, neither him offering a help.

However, if it was the case (smiling ordered by Thaksin?), do you think that the generals ordered them not to smile and not to offer a help?

Really! In LOS! One  Immigration Officer I used to deal with had a jar full of lollipops which she used to offer as soon as you sat down!

I am not implying that it was "ordered by Thaksin", but LOS used to be a far happier place than it is now, and the example that I quoted is just one instance as to how attitudes towards "farangs" seems to have changed over the years, and other examples seem to be in the supermarkets where many smiling faces have disappeared to be replaced by scowls, and "kob khun krab/kob khun ka" ignored, requests for directions or availability of stock mostly answered by "Sorry, no have" when you know fine well they do, but they have just moved the stock around so you don't know where anything is any more! (a  marketing ploy apparently - while you are wandering round looking for what you want, you might see something else you "need")

I could quote many other examples, but when high ranking Government Ministers make disparaging remarks about farangs, and blaming them for Covid just shows how high the level of anti farang sentiment goes, so you don't need "the generals ordering them not to smile and not to offer a help?" And this deterioration in attitude began long before Covid, so that can not be used as an excuse.

I am merely saying that the reason for this is that some of "the people" mimic their leaders, and blame all their problems on outsiders, whereas in actual fact, it is the outsiders in many cases that are helping them to put food on their tables!

P.S. Funny how TAT are doing their hardest to get foreigners to visit the country, and other areas of the Government seem to be trying their hardest to deter them with their "anti farang"  sentiments and attitudes!

• Like 2

On 2/16/2022 at 3:06 PM, actonion said:

Thai tourism is so magical  .......all the tourists disappeard ....

ALL of them??? for sure not, there are plenty of Quality tourists from Russia,  ok they dont spent any money anymore at Thaibusinesses,  since Russians prefer doing business with other Russians living here but....

On 2/16/2022 at 10:47 AM, Neeranam said:

... you can easily get an extension of stay just for showing that you spend $20k+ a year.....

Yeah right.. PLEASE show me where you have this BS from because i spent MILLIONS of Baht since i am living here the past 20+ years for Land, HouseS, Cars, Motorcycles, opened a shop and provided work for a couple of Thais for years, and the usual living ... not to count for the money i spent for BEER wich is more expensive as in every other country in Europe. ????

I spent easy more than a Million  Baht in Thailand per year and i really would like you to tell me where i get this VISA you are talking about. Why I have to do the Immigration hassle every year once again beeing terrorised with paperwork again and again and again and again and again....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Pathetic. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit; you got half that. So the question still remains what was I supposed to do?  Get someone to help you read/answer it.

Grow up, you made it to the airport ok, but the 2 min cab ride(?)needed the aid of an airport official! Can see your a hardened globetrotter.Try a bit harder to put down Phuket!! 

19 hours ago, Olmate said:

Grow up, you made it to the airport ok, but the 2 min cab ride(?)needed the aid of an airport official! Can see your a hardened globetrotter.Try a bit harder to put down Phuket!! 

Phuket puts itself down. 

I drove myself to the airport at U-tapao and parked up.  Arriving at a strange airport I accepted an airport official's help to find the taxi rank; why would you take exception to that?  I've trotted successfully to:  France/Holland/Germany/Spain & islands/sundry Greek islands/Sri-Lanka/India/Cambodia/Vietnam/Eire & the other countries of UK/Yugoslavia/Italy/Andorra/Bali/Brunei/Belgium/Switzerland; at none of the airports above did I encounter the Phuket experience.

Edited by mikebell
missing words

On 2/18/2022 at 1:50 PM, Olmate said:

PS; East/West coast USA; East/West coast Canada; Mexico; Cyprus; Egypt; Singapore; Sarawak; Borneo; Qatar; Saudi. Over thirty different airports only scammed in Phuket.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, moskito said:

Yeah right.. PLEASE show me where you have this BS from because i spent MILLIONS of Baht since i am living here the past 20+ years for Land, HouseS, Cars, Motorcycles, opened a shop and provided work for a couple of Thais for years, and the usual living ... not to count for the money i spent for BEER wich is more expensive as in every other country in Europe. ????

I spent easy more than a Million  Baht in Thailand per year and i really would like you to tell me where i get this VISA you are talking about. Why I have to do the Immigration hassle every year once again beeing terrorised with paperwork again and again and again and again and again....

On a good day, $12-13K = ฿400k if married, and $24-26k if not married, so his $20+ is fairly accurate.  And you don't have to have or spend millions, as they don't care what you do with it.  My Imm office allow ฿400k deposited + 40k a month for retirement, if wanting to go the deposit + dd route.  So you don't even need high income.  40k or 65k a month, and seriously, if you don't have that, you probably shouldn't be living in a foreign country.

All you have to do is prove; residence + income, and quite easy, + marriage if going that route.  Neither stressful nor difficult.

You operate a business here, and going to Imm once a year is stressful ????

Edited by KhunLA

The gushing ott praise for such a trivial thing speaks volumes. i.e. we know how bad things are but just want to focus on ANYTHING else. Thais can be great and super helpful, but sadly finding a random Rusky’s necklace kinda doesn’t balance out everyone potentially being locked away thousands of dollars out of pocket. Is that magical  tourism?