UK Visa extension for a Thai Citizen

I was booked to go to the UK for Christmas, but canceled.

my that wife got a Tourist visa for the UK which expires on the 23 May.

We’re planning to go in May, but if we were to stay over the 23May, could my wife apply there for an extension?

many thanks 

As I understand the 23rd May is only a date by which she must enter the UK for her visa to be valid. The date to leave is given by immigration on entry and UK is normally 180 days stay for Thais but can sometimes be shorter if your return ticket is an earlier date than 180 days. 

Check with others but my wife normally holds a multiple entry tourist visa and that's how it works for her.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BangkokAlan said:

As I understand the 23rd May is only a date by which she must enter the UK for her visa to be valid. The date to leave is given by immigration on entry and UK is normally 180 days stay for Thais but can sometimes be shorter if your return ticket is an earlier date than 180 days. 

Check with others but my wife normally holds a multiple entry tourist visa and that's how it works for her.

No, that advice is wrong.

A person holding a UK Visa, must leave the UK on or before the expiry date printed on the Visa Vignette.

Most visas are multi entry, and your wife must leave before the visa expiry date.

• Like 1

@Tazmono she can only apply to extend her leave to remain in the UK for a very limited number of reasons, what you describe isn't one of them, she would need to leave on or before the visa expiry date.. The fee for applying to extend would be £993.

When you can extend your stay

You may be able to extend your stay if you have permission to be in the UK for less than 6 months. You can extend your stay up to a total of 6 months.

You can only apply to stay in the UK for longer than 6 months if you’re:

• a patient receiving medical treatment
  • an academic and you still meet the eligibility requirements
  • a graduate retaking the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or doing a clinical attachment

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor/extend-your-stay

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BangkokAlan said:

Totally wrong!

(That is sort of the way Thai immigration works).

For the UK she must leave by 23rd May regardless of when she enters.

As shown above by 'theoldgit' it's very unlikely she would be able to extend her stay beyond 23rd May.

10 hours ago, Ginkas said:

Totally wrong!

(That is sort of the way Thai immigration works).

For the UK she must leave by 23rd May regardless of when she enters.

As shown above by 'theoldgit' it's very unlikely she would be able to extend her stay beyond 23rd May.

Totally wrong ! 

If she has a visa that expires on 23rd May, that is when she must leave the UK, unless she has not been in the UK for 6 months. If, for instance, she has only been in the UK for one month on 23rd May, she can then apply to extend her stay by the the remaining 5 months of the 6 months. It will, however, cost around 1,000 GBP to do so. See theoldgit's link above :

If you have permission to be in the UK for less than 6 months

You may be able to extend your stay as long as the total time you spend in the UK is no more than 6 months. You must meet the eligibility requirements and pay the £993 fee.

For example, if you have been in the UK for 3 months, you can apply to extend your stay for 3 more months. This applies if you needed a visa to visit the UK and also if you did not need one.

Edited by Tony M
  • Confused 1