Car leak- any tips

Gabe H Coud

My lady friend has a Honda City which appears to have a leak

the floor of the passenger foot well, driver side is very wet after the rain last 2 days

She has mopped up as best as....

So before taking to a professional.....

any tips for drying out?

Also, anyone had this issue with this model or similar car?

Hard to spot where the leak is coming from, door seals appear ok but i suppose you'd have to check during a heavy downpour!

Who wants to do that?!!!

TIA

yes nghtmare to find

i cant see any obvious door seal issue 

it did hammer down yesterday and today 

My lady sat in the car at one point and no water could be seen penetrating

she thinks the water is getting inside the rear  door and then dropping into the car floor from the bottom of the rear passenger door 

so maybe its the window thats leaking and not the door??

Any special tips for drying out (like you put your phone in a sack of rice!)??

Bugga!   Check for blocked drains in the cowl behind the bonnet - leaves often the culprit there.

to dry the interior - will need to remove carpets, probably requiring removal of the front seats as well, and remove the underfelt and dry this completely.  If not dried properly , the car will become an unpleasant place to be, with a strong mouldy/musty smell after being locked up for any period.

go under the car and check if there is a hole there. if it is leaking from the windows it would be easy to see it. obviously not from the top of the car.  you said its wet so i think there is no small pond yet. that means water might come from the under after you drive. 

also yes, its a good idea to take out everything from the car and check again. You girlfriend can pure water from a hose and you can try to check the water inside the car. Do it for a long time though. i would start from the front window and go down to engine area. i think its coming from somewhere there because both sides are wet. use lot of water for the test

Edited by problemfarang

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Does it get wet when driving along if no leaking when parked.

Driving along drivers foot well can have outside rain drawn in check inside for wet where the seals are for foot pedals.

only when parked and subject to torrential rain, this is the first instance 

9 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

go under the car and check if there is a hole there. if it is leaking from the windows it would be easy to see it. obviously not from the top of the car.  you said its wet so i think there is no small pond yet. that means water might come from the under after you drive. 

also yes, its a good idea to take out everything from the car and check again. You girlfriend can pure water from a hose and you can try to check the water inside the car. Do it for a long time though. i would start from the front window and go down to engine area. i think its coming from somewhere there because both sides are wet. use lot of water for the test

thanks

however its only wet on the drivers side where the rear passenger puts their feet

good tip re hose pipe

gf had car 1 year and this never happen before but car outside last 36 hours in freak rain for february( but with wet season coming it needs sorting)

thanks

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

First instance? Floor wet after a torrential rain? 

I think we left the window down. 

Brilliant! Why didnt we think of that?!

Anyway, sarcasm aside.......er, how can i put this.....er, no!

first thing ruled out

thanks for your genius input

First thing to do is ask her if Somchai has done any work on the car in the last 6 months ? if yes start there.

Take it round to a car wash place, sit inside and get the lads to jet wash around the car, see if you can see where the water comes from.

Ps, don't laugh at the window left down. ( check it )

I own a honda city and after some work done at Honda

the drivers side window developed a fault, you bring the window up and 1 second latter it drops down about 1/2 inch, so some sensor fault, i have never fixed it, i just hold the button down an extra few seconds and the window stays up. for real.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

First thing to do is ask her if Somchai has done any work on the car in the last 6 months ? if yes start there.

Take it round to a car wash place, sit inside and get the lads to jet wash around the car, see if you can see where the water comes from.

if sit inside would have to wear WETSUIT !!!!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Ps, don't laugh at the window left down. ( check it )

I own a honda city and after some work done at Honda

the drivers side window developed a fault, you bring the window up and 1 second latter it drops down about 1/2 inch, so some sensor fault, i have never fixed it, i just hold the button down an extra few seconds and the window stays up. for real.

No need to go to a car wash, just squirt it down with  a hose-pipe