Etihad

Havenstreet1940

I am flying to UK with Etihad shortly and have been informed by them that my flight will re-fuel in Phuket.   Apparently passengers will remain on the aircraft whilst it is taking place,   Other than they don't havea re-fuelling facility at Suvarnabhumi, does anyone know why it's Phuket.

Edited by Havenstreet1940

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Sounds like they are just picking up additional passengers.

Certainly don't believe they can't refuel at BKK.....and I am 99% sure you cannot refuel with passengers on board.

They are feeding you a line.

I have in the past just boarded just sat down, and the captain announces the plane is fueling "please refrain from using your seatbelt until fuelling completed" announcement, maybe things have changed...... 

• Like 1

Just now, CANSIAM said:

I have in the past just boarded just sat down, and the captain announces the plane is fueling "please refrain from using your seatbelt until fuelling completed" announcement, maybe things have changed...... 

That is scary!!

• Haha 1

Due to the ASQ requirements in Bangkok Vs Sandbox requirements in Phuket there has been greater demand for flights inbound to Thailand to fly into Phuket and out of Bangkok. 

The governments recent ‘back and forth’ between Test & Go to no Test & Go to Test & Go and do another Test has caused some chaos for the Airlines. 

Thus: It is quite likely that this flight was scheduled to honour the demand for Sandboxers in light of the cancellation of Test & Go scheme and has not yet caught up. It is highly likely that ‘some' passengers will disembark into Phuket Sandbox / Test & Go and the remainder will disembark in Bangkok for Test & Go. 

When making the booking it will have shown xxxxx - Abu Dhabi - Phuket: 2 stops...  (something like this)

1512956311_Screenshot2022-02-17at10_01_48.png.4a70435907980abccac354ae4f3bae22.png

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 10.01.31.png

8 minutes ago, Will B Good said:
9 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

That is scary!!

Perfectly normal and not uncommon for a quick turnaround.

• Like 1

I have been on BA flights that landed in BKK from LHR. Passengers that were flying on to Sydney were told to remain on the plane. Those planes always needed to re-fuel, so it seems to be a common practise.

Pre covid I also flew with Etihad many times, it never had to stop in Phuket. It sounds like they are just using 1 plane for both routes.

16 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

That is scary!!

Why? Fueling is a normal operation it is simply required the passenger door be open with loading bridge or airstairs attached. Sounds like EY made a commercial decision to alter the schedule or combine flights for some reason. Bummer for any who would miss their connection flight.

Whenever possible, passengers should be disembarked prior to the commencement of fuelling after flight arrival and boarded for departure after completion of any necessary refuelling. However, refuelling with passengers on board may be judged necessary if refuelling service cannot be obtained exactly when requested or in some special cases (e.g. if a patient cannot to be moved during a medical flight).

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

Why? Fueling is a normal operation it is simply required the passenger door be open with loading bridge or airstairs attached. Sounds like EY made a commercial decision to alter the schedule or combine flights for some reason. Bummer for any who would miss their connection flight.

So it seems....though the type of fuel dictates if it is allowed????

Very clear, EY431 going from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi with a stop in Phuket to pick up passengers. You can book the same flight number from Phuket to Abu Dhabi.

Sun 20th Feb, 20:35
Suvarnabhumi Airport
BKKBangkok
EY 431Operated by Etihad
Aircraft:Boeing 787-9
Travel time:9 hrs 40 minsNight time flight
Arrival: Terminal3
Flight's stops:This flight stops at HKT for 1 hr 20 mins
 Flight arrives the next day
Mon 21st Feb, 03:15
Abu Dhabi Airport
AUHAbu Dhabi

Of course you can not leave the plane and enter the airport.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

By theory: they could decide to also refuel.

Flying BKK - HKT with little fuel and then fill up for to the second leg.

(less then for the whole route)

Might save some fuel in total.

That's for aviation experts.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

By theory: they could decide to also refuel.

Flying BKK - HKT with little fuel and then fill up for to the second leg.

(less then for the whole route)

Might save some fuel in total.

That's for aviation experts.

Yep, It costs fuel to carry fuel. Probably have to refuel at HKT as the short flight to HKT  depending on payload must be planned to touch down at or below the maximum structural landing weight.