Language barrier major challenge for Thais seeking to work in Saudi Arabia, official says

webfact

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

A barrier not just for Saudi.

Rigth.In norway people arrive here meeting husband have to go to school learn our langue.Its 600 hours for free.Some girls only speak bar english so thats a problem.I speak thai so i been working as a volunter teacher in the langue school here.My last class was 6 thais.2 new arrivals..4 who wanted to update their skills.4 months daily.It went wery well for them.In norway they can also get a job that goverment pay them for learning to speak.Just a temperary job for maybe a year.Salary about 40 pound a day.In my place mostly of thais work in a salmon factory.Salary about 3-4000 pounds a month.

• Like 1

But they have google translate and always a phone in hand

I was in pattaya last year and noted in a couple of hotels the english was poor been many times.

They have made it more difficult for foreign teachers to get visas so this effects quality and supply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomyami said:

I was in pattaya last year and noted in a couple of hotels the english was poor been many times.

I knew a Thai receptionist at a Bangkok hotel whose English was pretty good. But being polite to foreign guests and having good language skills didn't make him particularly popular with his Thai colleagues. After only a few weeks he had quit the job...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, connda said:

The KSA is a different animal especially for those from a culture that isn't too fond of assimilating. 
So - best of luck.

Thankfully, you can get fresh Som Tum, Khao Niaw, and Kao Tum Mud everywhere in Saudi Arabia... You can, right? Right?? ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much

8 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Agree.  Compare the Thais English skills to the 2.2 million overseas Filipino workers around the world. I know I would much prefer to hire a Filipino or Filipina with good English skills compared to a Thai person with very limited English.

Which is why workers from the PI command such a large segment of the foreign work force.  Thais will have a problem as most will not be able to meet the minimum English language requirements which simply are not a barrier to most Filipinos.  Now?  With all the cross-border restrictions in place and the lack of NES teachers - the situation isn't going to get any better.  Maybe I should do that 'digital nomad' thingee and teach English online and cross-culture education online for Thais seeking jobs outside of Thailand.  ????

• Like 1

Skilled workers???? Ouch! Still looking after 15 years.

Who would ever have thought, that the historical and deep rooted way of thinking "Thai language is all I need" would have such negative effects on "professionals" who wish to work abroad?

• Like 1