At School Are The Thais Getting Force Fed Propaganda?

jeffrosner

Mr. Rosner being the well learned and well read gentlemen perused the Bangkok Post this past Sunday to find an interesting letter from a foreign women studying Thai at a university in Kong Kaen Province. The women complained that while she was learning Thai, she was being constantly fed bull$hit through repetition that she likened to brainwashing.

She wrote that the texts used to teach Thai had passages that contantly demeaned women, put down foreigners and bolstered obedience to authority instead of helping those little minds full of mush to be individuals.

Mr. Rosner deplores as does his good New York friend Rush Limbaugh, the exploiting of young skulls full of mush.

Can anyone who has taken a higher or lower level of Thai please expand on this because Mr. Rosner says this smacks of the same kind of crap (if true) taught in the Madrasas of many Muslim Countries.

Mr. Rosner is very suspicious of those in charge and thinks it is not above them to resort to indoctrination for the long haul.

Mr. Rosner awaits the learned and exhalted knowledge of the TV members.

Ah, should have been posted by Mr. Rosner to the General Forum.

You have Mr. Rosner scratching his head why you chose the PATTAYA Forum as the Bangkok Post publishes nationwide.

Because you posted in the Pattaya News Clipping forum so I presumed, incorrectly obviously, that you thought it had something to do with Pattaya. Moved to the general forum, and next time, try to post in the correct location

Mr. Rosner while slightly dizzy from the constant moving about acknowledged his error and suggests that a huge neon banner showing the forum name be plastered above this line as he writes to remind him of where it is going.

At the risk of sounding trite, Mr. Rosner thinks all forums look the same.

I don't know where you dig up these brilliant little jems of gossip but unlike Weho's posts - your's are not even funny...

Soundman.

Mr. Rosner is a gentleman and as such, does not intend to inject humour (one of the lowest forms of writing) into his posts. Mr. Rosner would very much like to help Soundman who evidently missed the reference in Mr. Rosner's post to the letter to the editor in the Sunday Bangkok Post.

Mr. Rosner was diligent and thoughtful enough to give Soundman and others a road map to his source. Mr. Rosner suggests that soundman dig 4 inches into the pile of papers next to his toilet so that he may check the veracity of Mr. Rosner's statement.

Mr. Rosner thanks Soundman for not making a joke of this matter.

Mr. Rosner is curious about the avatar that Soundman uses - if this is you and your child, why do you fry it's little head with a rubber cap when it is obvious to most that the little bit of hair on their head rarely comes out.

Mr. Rosner wishes he could say the same about Soundman but cannot.

Mr. Rosner being the well learned and well read gentlemen perused the Bangkok Post this past Sunday to find an interesting letter from a foreign women studying Thai at a university in Kong Kaen Province. The women complained that while she was learning Thai, she was being constantly fed bull$hit through repetition that she likened to brainwashing.

She wrote that the texts used to teach Thai had passages that contantly demeaned women, put down foreigners and bolstered obedience to authority instead of helping those little minds full of mush to be individuals.

Mr. Rosner deplores as does his good New York friend Rush Limbaugh, the exploiting of young skulls full of mush.

Can anyone who has taken a higher or lower level of Thai please expand on this because Mr. Rosner says this smacks of the same kind of crap (if true) taught in the Madrasas of many Muslim Countries.

Mr. Rosner is very suspicious of those in charge and thinks it is not above them to resort to indoctrination for the long haul.

Its called culture shock mate. She can either live with it and adapt or put another whining white ass (hers) on a plane and do us all a favour.

She really won't be missed and we get these cranks popping up too often these days.

You got the Thai script she is referring to? Mine are equally balanced as in the West. Dads often washing up, or mums cleaning the car etc. I learned from Thai childrens books and they are as PC as anything in the west.

Whats wrong with some authority/obedience in a country? More people complain of a lack of it!

And finally, if you are going to write like a supposed high intellect, learn to punctuate and spell like one, or better still, stop being a twaaat.

Edited by Dupont

I don't know where you dig up these brilliant little jems of gossip but unlike Weho's posts - your's are not even funny...

Soundman.

Mr. Rosner is a gentleman and as such, does not intend to inject humour (one of the lowest forms of writing) into his posts. Mr. Rosner would very much like to help Soundman who evidently missed the reference in Mr. Rosner's post to the letter to the editor in the Sunday Bangkok Post.

Mr. Rosner was diligent and thoughtful enough to give Soundman and others a road map to his source. Mr. Rosner suggests that soundman dig 4 inches into the pile of papers next to his toilet so that he may check the veracity of Mr. Rosner's statement.

Mr. Rosner is curious about the avatar that Soundman uses - if this is you and your child, why do you fry it's little head with a rubber cap when it is obvious to most that the little bit of hair on their head rarely comes out.

With reference to a "letter to the editor" as you called it - I'd call that gossip - wouldn't you? Or do you believe every story you hear.

With reference to me & my family - well - could only expect as much from such a little man.

Soundman.

Edited by soundman

I studied Thai Language and Culture at a Thai University and can confirm that the curriculum and teaching methods contain substantial 'fiction' that fits, together with its presentation, well with what we regard as 'propaganda'.

More than that the is a hostility towards challenging these 'set pieces' of knowledge and constant affirmation of the need to conform to the 'story as it is told'.

A typical example would be, when discussing Thai culture in a comparative context, characteristics (often false) of Thai culture were always positive, where as the characteristics of other cultures where invariably negative.

A striking example of this is to compare the Thai treatment of the History of the Sacking of Ayutthaya by the Burmese, with the Thai sacking of Angkhor - A student that suggests a paradox in the way these two themes are treated is inviting a 'fail' and no small amount of hostility from staff and students.

My advice to the woman who has written to the press is to recognize this as a weakness to be exploited.

Glowing views of Thais and Thai culture from a foreign student solicit glowing marks.

As they should I feel, since they are far less likely to have been blatantly copied from the work of fellow students. – Not that that seems to matter too much.

Soundman.

mr terence suggests that soundman should not make generisations about mr rosner. :D

its very rude and mr rosner does not think he's being funny, but mr terence thinks that mr rosner, even thou a bit of a PLONKER is a little bit funny. :D

err, umm , what was the bleeding question again? :o

something about being brain washed was'nt it.

oh dont worry about it mr rosner, as most of the fellas on this forum are brain washed in some form or another. :D

Its called culture shock mate. She can either live with it and adapt or put another whining white ass (hers) on a plane and do us all a favour.

She really won't be missed and we get these cranks popping up too often these days.

You got the Thai script she is referring to? Mine are equally balanced as in the West. Dads often washing up, or mums cleaning the car etc. I learned from Thai childrens books and they are as PC as anything in the west.

Whats wrong with some authority/obedience in a country? More people complain of a lack of it!

And finally, if you are going to write like a supposed high intellect, learn to punctuate and spell like one, or better still, stop being a twaaat.

"Its" could use one of the those pesky " ' " marks as in "it's" or It is

Try using "will not" for "won't" in your second paragraph and revise so it is not written in the passive voice.

The vulgar use of "you got" would be be much better as "Do you have" but if vulgarity is your mantra Mr. Rosner may be barking up the wrong tree. You might also consider not ending your sentences with a preposition.

You wrote most of it in passive voice. Mr. Rosner thinks that you could have done a much better job. D+

There were more errors but Mr. Rosner thinks he has diseccted your writing enough to make the point.

Did you ever get beyond the children's books for your English?

Try using "will not" for "won't" in your second paragraph and revise so it is not written in the passive voice.

The vulgar use of "you got" would be be much better as "Do you have" but if vulgarity is your mantra Mr. Rosner may be barking up the wrong tree. You might also consider not ending your sentences with a preposition.

You wrote most of it in passive voice. Mr. Rosner thinks that you could have done a much better job. D+

There were more errors but Mr. Rosner thinks he has diseccted your writing enough to make the point.

mr rosner has had the last laugh :o and let that be a lesson to all you fellas who think they are so brilliant at the written word and attack other posters for there small writing errors, and mr terence says to mr rosner,

thank you very much mr rosner. :D

and just to keep on topic,

sorry but i forgot what it was. :D:D

mr terence suggests that soundman should not make generisations about mr rosner. :D

its very rude and mr rosner does not think he's being funny, but mr terence thinks that mr rosner, even thou a bit of a PLONKER is a little bit funny. :D

err, umm , what was the bleeding question again? :o

something about being brain washed was'nt it.

oh dont worry about it mr rosner, as most of the fellas on this forum are brain washed in some form or another. :D

Oh father - please forgive me.. :D

Or then again not - take some time to read this guys previous "thai bashing" posts & general nonsense & the picture will be crystal clear.. :bah:

Cheers,

Soundman.

i think you may have a point with the op mr rosner,& also your posts are more amusing than most.........mr rosner,in a camp sort of way.thank you mr rosner. :o

Edited by uptou

mr rosner has had the last laugh :o and let that be a lesson to all you fellas who think they are so brilliant at the written word and attack other posters for there small writing errors, and mr terence says to mr rosner,

Mr. Rosner never laughs at the retarded or mentally ill.

Edited by jeffrosner

Nice to see it went over your heads!!

I never put myself forward as any intellect and I am more than happy that people post away in whatever language or with whatever grammer they may have. I merely pointed out, that this cretin isn't what he thinks or makes himself out to be.

What about the texts this girl used then? Without them, the post is even more pointless than your others!

is mr rosner a plonker ?

ive only just cracked on to him so i aint read his other posts but some of you guys seem to think the mr rosner is a nutter. :D

sorry punting friends and i'll butt out of this one as i dont know. :o

thank you very much. :D

Nice to see it went over your heads!!

I never put myself forward as any intellect and I am more than happy that people post away in whatever language or with whatever grammer they may have. I merely pointed out, that this cretin isn't what he thinks or makes himself out to be.

What about the texts this girl used then? Without them, the post is even more pointless than your others!

Your use of the word Cretin, was that a deragory FLAMING remark against Mr. Rosner?

From the Bangkok Post's Outlook section on Thursday 7 June 2007 this was said to Thich Nhat Hanh the Vietnamese Zen Master:

"In Thailand, we have a belief that says that women are spiritually inferior to men, that perhaps we have done something wrong in our past lives. Do you have any advice?"

Thich Nhat Hanh replied:

"Suppose you live in a society where there is no gender equality, if you get angry you cannot help this. If you are not angry, you may live, teach, in such a way as to help people abandon that kind of discrimination. You have to understand that people have beliefs like that because they have been taught like that. If you get angry, if you suffer, you cannot help. If you have compassion in your heart, you have a chance to change their beliefs."

Although Mr. PeaceBlondie is still recovering from a stroke, and therefore Mr. PeaceBlondie might make a typographical error, Mr. PeaceBlondie at least knows when Mr. PeaceBlondie is speaking with Mr. PeaceBlondie's tongue in Mr. PeaceBlondie's cheek. Nevertheless, Mr. PeaceBlondie cannot always tell when Mr. Rosner is just being a plonker, or Mr. Rosner is being an erudite, clever fool. :o

Yet, Mr. PeaceBlondie recalls the days when the American history books fed fiction into Mr. PeaceBlondie's head.

The women complained that while she was learning Thai, she was being constantly fed bull$hit through repetition that she likened to brainwashing.

Mr. Rosner is unfortunately absolutely right in pointing this fact out.

Anybody who has not given up his brain at the immigration, and has children attending Thai schools has a hard job in countering some of the hair raising hogwash taught there as history, etc.

Mr. Rosner not being English has no idea what is a plonker. Would a kind chap please explain this work to Mr. Rosner?

http://www.allwords.com/word-plonker.html

-------------------------------------------

plonker

noun

1. colloq

Anything large, especially a smacking kiss.

2. slang

A stupid person; an idiot.

3. slang

The penis.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Although Mr. PeaceBlondie is still recovering from a stroke, and therefore Mr. PeaceBlondie might make a typographical error, Mr. PeaceBlondie at least knows when Mr. PeaceBlondie is speaking with Mr. PeaceBlondie's tongue in Mr. PeaceBlondie's cheek. Nevertheless, Mr. PeaceBlondie cannot always tell when Mr. Rosner is just being a plonker, or Mr. Rosner is being an erudite, clever fool. :o

Yet, Mr. PeaceBlondie recalls the days when the American history books fed fiction into Mr. PeaceBlondie's head.

i think it might be contagious?

Seems like Mr. Rosner is brainwashed by watching a lot Fox News and that Mr. Rosner is very fond of making generalizations. So Mr. Rosner should educate himself more and instead of making a blanket comment should be more rational.

World is full of variety of people and therefore, people have their own opinions, therefore, instead of making generalizations, you should make specific comments. :o

The women complained that while she was learning Thai, she was being constantly fed bull$hit through repetition that she likened to brainwashing.

Mr. Rosner is unfortunately absolutely right in pointing this fact out.

Anybody who has not given up his brain at the immigration, and has children attending Thai schools has a hard job in countering some of the hair raising hogwash taught there as history, etc.

Mr. Rosner and I have a 2 month old. We are very concerned about what he might be taught in Thai School.