And A Hard Rain Is Falling In Chiang Mai

PeaceBlondie

Hot and sunny here PB :o

Of course, we get a thunderstorm and rain every night, but absolutely beautiful during the day (if a bit steamy tho)

Welcome home, I am sure you missed it anyway :D

Got home from Europe a few hours ago. They said we'd had only a couple days of rain in last 2.7 weeks. But now there's a great storm blowing

Welcome back - no power and pouring with rain but you managed to hit onto TV - now that is priority setting at its best.

It is bucketing down in rural San Kamphaeng and I have to head off for a 20 km ride in about 10 minutes without my wet weather gear. I think I will have to drop into home on the way or will be drenched at the end.

How was the trip?

CB

Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?

Oh, where have you been, my darling young one?

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains,

I've walked and I've crawled on six crooked highways,

I've stepped in the middle of seven sad forests,

I've been out in front of a dozen dead oceans,

I've been ten thousand miles in the mouth of a graveyard,

And it's a hard, and it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard,

And it's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.

Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?

Oh, where have you been, my darling young one?

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains,

I've walked and I've crawled on six crooked highways,

I've stepped in the middle of seven sad forests,

I've been out in front of a dozen dead oceans,

I've been ten thousand miles in the mouth of a graveyard,

And it's a hard, and it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard,

And it's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.

Thanks for the Dylan lyrics. Before I went to Acteal, I had my friend read the final verses of that song as my theme. Now I've written a double novel that ends shortly after the death of Aung San Suu Kyi, at which point "the executioner's face is no longer hidden."

Two trips in a row, I've enjoyed at least 5 days in a row without rain in Ireland. Got sunburned at the beach at the Aran Islands.

What, a new Burger-King? Hooray! If I weren't so knackered from lack of sleep, I'd slip on a slippery raincoat and slip on down for a double bacon cheese burger. Oops, that might not be in my current diet. That's assuming I can control throttle and front brake better tjam ,u rogjt jamd cam tu[e/

Rain has stopped and it's cool.

Canute's achievements

Most people think of Canute in connection with the story about him commanding the tide to halt.

Got it. :D

I don't either. Although i know King Canute was a Viking. But what does that have to do with the price of fish..or floods..or rain..? :o

Forecasters are predicting a lot of rain this year because of La Nina.

La Niña translates from Spanish as "the girl-child". The term "La Niña" has recently become the conventional meteorological label for the opposite of the better known El Niño.

The term La Niña refers to the extensive cooling of the central and eastern Pacific Ocean. In Australia (particularly eastern Australia), La Niña events are associated with increased probability of wetter conditions.

Changes to the atmosphere and ocean circulation during La Niña events include:

Cooler than normal ocean temperatures across the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean.

Increased convection or cloudiness over tropical Australia, Papua New-Guinea, and Indonesia.

Stronger than normal (easterly) trade winds across the Pacific Ocean (but not necessarily in the Australian region).

High (positive) values of the SOI (Southern Oscillation Index).

A La Niña event is sometimes called an anti-ENSO (anti-El Niño-Southern Oscillation) event.

Probably a similar effect in the SE Asian region.

Good beer choice! But clip down that dangly SPG, it's making me nervous..... :o

If you think that "unclipped" gauge is bad then check this bloke out..

By the way this is what i will be wearing to the BBQ in case it rains / floods..

Canute's achievements

Most people think of Canute in connection with the story about him commanding the tide to halt.

Got it. :D

I don't either. Although i know King Canute was a Viking. But what does that have to do with the price of fish..or floods..or rain..? :o

Canute was an Anglo Saxon king in England and depending on the version of the story was either extremely vain or extremely humble. Both stories revolve around him commanding that he waves of the incoming tide turn back. Of course the waves and tide continued on heedless.

In version 1 - Canute was vain and believed he had the power over all things including rain and weather. To prove his power he stood on the beach and commanded the tide to retreat. The tide ignored him and kept on coming in regardless. Canute then looked like a wally in front of his followers with the water up to his knees so he lost a lot of his social standing and power.

In version 2 - Canute became tired of the flattery of his court and when he heard one courtier say that he (Canute) was so powerful he could command the waves and tide itself. He took the entire court out to the beach and did exactly that, he stood there and commanded the waves to retreat. They didn't and he then turned around and told the court - this was proof that even a king has limits of powers.

In version 2.1 Canute then says that only the Gods (Plural) have such powers as to command the tides

In version 2.2 Canute then says that only Jesus has such powers as ot command the tides

Canute was born in about 995 AD and the Christians were definitely very influential in the court but as the son of Danish lord (Canute was not a viking - a viking is a term used to go "a viking' which is to go raiding.) However it is not clear whether he was a Christian or still carried on as a believer in the Norse Gods with a Christian overgloss. This was common at the time becuase being Christian was necessary to be involved in trade but many still retained their old beliefs.

In the context of this post (bringing it back on topic) UG may need Canute to turn back the tide of his new bookshop on Loi Kroh but he would probably be better off knowing the guy who supplies sand bags.

CB

So Blinky, should I bring my Zodiac to the TV BBQ? Seats 6, does 30 knots, and has a LARGE marine cooler.... :D

Sounds like a good idea but have you got 2 coolers?

We'll just fill bottom of boat with ice. To heck with the cooler idea. Specially if Loi Krowboy is on board..... :o

So Blinky, should I bring my Zodiac to the TV BBQ? Seats 6, does 30 knots, and has a LARGE marine cooler.... :D

We'll just fill bottom of boat with ice. To heck with the cooler idea. Specially if Loi Krowboy is on board..... :o

arent you suppose to be calling them eskies?

arent you suppose to be calling them eskies?

Eskies is an Aussie word - you sheep shaggers call 'em "chilly bins"

:D

CB