Filthy beaches: Discarded syringes, masks everywhere threaten tourists

webfact

Filthy beaches: Discarded syringes, masks everywhere threaten tourists

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The office of the Marine and Coastal Resources 1 went to a Rayong beach to investigate after a tourist reported seeing syringes.

It happened at PMY beach also known as "Moonlight Beach". The tourist feared stepping on one and possible getting infected with some disease.

Pongsiri Saenprasert responded and reported finding a huge amount of ghastly garbage on the beach.

There were at least ten syringes, masks and other debris all washed up, presumably from offshore discarded in the sea.

There were probably others floating in the sea itself, he noted.

Vaccine bottles were also found.

He was investigating their possible source.

Busara, 56, a trader who collects trash at the beach in an agreement with the local authority, told Sanook she found one or two syringes every day. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-22

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

8pm1.jpg
S__91717657.jpg
S__91717661.jpg
2491977.jpg
  • Sad 7
  • Haha 1

When I first came here and was looking round for a place to settle down, I like the Rayong area, Mae Pim specifically. For various reasons I elected not to buy land there....bloody glad I didn't. The number of times it turns up as a winner in the filthy beach contest is amazing. 

• Like 2

This type of issue not only in Thailand.  But in some western countries it’s a fairly common problem also. . Some of it is dropped on site by visitors.  But most of it probably washed up from the sea.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I would imagine that if the label with the batch code is still on a vile it could easily be traced back to the hospital or clinic. But I'm doubtful that will happen. 

What we as consumers do with the trash, isn't as much the problem, as most trust giving it to the gov't to handle, who apparently dumps it in the seas.

Why I burn as much as possible myself at home, and don't give them the opportunity.  I'm pretty sure they are simply going to burn it or dump in the sea anyway.

What they need is trash to energy plants, and to actually recycle what recyclables the do collect.  Makes no sense to seperate, and drop off at recycling places, if all they do is place in landfill, burn it or dump in the seas.  If not recycling, burn for energy, as the plastics, since an oil byproduct, burn excellently for energy.  

• Like 2

Admittedly, plastic waste is the most visible and unhealthy and unsightly blight in Thai rivers and beaches.  When I walk beaches, especially those with small rocks, I recover broken glass and rusty metal objects.  Step on these while barefoot, it will ruin your whole day.

• Thanks 1

The only thing that _REALLY_ threatens tourists - what my friends tell me and other ppl write on the internets - is the possibility to get into a self-paid quarantine (as insurance companies do not cover asymptomatic COVID), and to lose 1-2 weeks of a vacation.

And that's why people choose other countries for a vacation instead of Thailand.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

When I first came here and was looking round for a place to settle down, I like the Rayong area, Mae Pim specifically. For various reasons I elected not to buy land there....bloody glad I didn't. The number of times it turns up as a winner in the filthy beach contest is amazing. 

I too considered the Mae Pim area, and will probably return someday.  To me, clean waters, small waves and steady winds matter most.

46 minutes ago, bigupandchill said:

Ah, so it's you!

Yep ... does it matter, me or the gov't ?  As long as it doesn't end up in the seas, I'm happy.

Not a big fan of landfills, as it eventually makes it down to the water table.  Unfortunately, me burning, is simply the lesser of the 3 evils.  Anyone got a better solution, I'm all ears/eyes.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

In the USA I always wear shoes at the beach, I found Hawaii had the most needles sticking up in the sand. This is everywhere and the smart tourist know this.

Never seen this on the Costa del sol. Beaches are pristine. Think I will return there.

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Why I burn, if possible, most of my trash at home.  Why give to the gov't to dump in the sea. Shameful.

Vaccine vials ... nuff said.

Burning trash? If you're burning anything but plain untreated paper then you're part of the problem mate. Burning plastics and wrapping releases highly toxic chemicals Cyanide being one! Don't burn your trash plz! 

16 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

I would imagine that if the label with the batch code is still on a vile it could easily be traced back to the hospital or clinic. But I'm doubtful that will happen. 

The hospital probably outsources disposal of medical waste: to the lowest bidder..