Thailand Pass registration system to remain, says Tourism and Sports Minister

webfact

5 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

There must be more behind this subject than they are prepared to let on

My thought as well. By keeping the data, not only able to monitor "tourists" within Thailand but potentially "worldwide" by spying on social media. I call it the "China Syndrome"!

"resurrected a plan pushed by the military junta up to 2015 to put in place a national internet gateway to control access to the internet in Thailand"

https://aseannow.com/topic/1251112-minister-signals-a-move-to-resurrect-a-national-internet-gateway-and-stronger-online-controls/

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

yes, it can be cancelled.

At some stage it will be, as it is (and always was) half-functional.

All this personal data on the governmental sites is unprotected, doesn't even have to be hacked. Employees selling to mafia for some $1 per piece, but in thousands. 

Since I have started registering for thai vax on multiple (but suppose to be credible) sites, I have stream of sms and emails with local spam.

Further increased after registering with thailand pass.

They had 2 major leaks, 28.01 (just before re-launching T&G) and a week ago. Each time they had to put a warning on their pop up page, but never admitted their responsibility  

What data are we talking about here, Income, health records, age, place of employment etc. or just where you intend to stay in Thailand ? If you are worried about spam just give them a throw away email address.

The reality is that most major western countries have or implementing similar systems.

USA - The Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program ESTA was mandated by the Implementing Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007 for travelers.

EU - The European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) was proposed by the European Commission in April 2016 and approved in November 2016 and will be mandatory from 2023.

Australia - All passengers arriving by air into Australia should complete a Digital Passenger Declaration. You can start your DPD seven days before your flight and submit it within 72 hours prior to your departure for Australia. 

How a similar system in this country will affect tourism is a good question, how secure this system is even a better question.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

What data are we talking about here, Income, health records, age, place of employment etc. or just where you intend to stay in Thailand ? If you are worried about spam just give them a throw away email address.

if you download a trojan maleware from a supposed thailand pass, those hackers will have everything, including credit cards, access to email account and size of your wife's nickers

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, internationalism said:

if you download a trojan maleware from a supposed thailand pass, those hackers will have everything, including credit cards, access to email account and size of your wife's nickers

I see, don't you have an anti-virus program ? Anyway, nobody would want to know the size of my wife's nickers, it frightens even me.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thailand Pass registration system will remain in place indefinitely, despite calls from key figures in the tourism industry for it to be removed.

"New Normal is here forever commoners.  Plebs get your masks on!!!

(all "special people" exempted).
1aac.jpg.45f62724325276c98ab82f7158a2f40a.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BayArea said:

"The Thailand Pass system cannot be cancelled because it holds data and important information on tourists which can be used to trace them when they travel in Thailand " Mr. Pipat said

this is exactly why the Thai government should abolish it!!!!

Yet no one (wink, wink) in the government has any idea where "Boss" Red Bull is hiding out.  ????

20 minutes ago, BusyB said:

If I remember right, the government wanted to force all tourists to download the mor chana app on entry some 2 years or so before the pandemic. It was binned either because of resistance or the app was too unreliable or whatever. It seemed like a typical Thai crackdown, just petered out.

The pandemic has now provided the camouflage for this scandalous attempt to monitor people who come in friendship and peace.

What on Earth are they frightened of?

What have we ever done to them? Apart from the odd goon who usually winds up getting his face kicked in anyway. Anyway there are far far more Thais up to much worse violence and skulduggery than we all are. So what possible reason can they have to want to keep tracks on us all the time? 

So that they can say that they can?

7 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

There we go.

They are finally admitting this has nothing to do with health or safety concerns at all, it is all about controlling and tracing the masses or hordes which would be entering the Kingdom each and every year.

And this time, for all you deniers out there, you heard it from the horse's mouth, the Tourism and Sports Minister himself.

My advice: if you haven't already, sell everything, recoup your assets (or your losses) and get ready to pull out of Thailand at any time.

Welcome Thailand Police State 2.0 sponsored by the CCP aka Chailand!

...with Chinas backing as well

• Like 1

This day five PCR test is a massive turn-off for tourists and anyone else traveling. 

There is the real costly risk of acquiring a local infection of COVID in-between arrival and day five and then being forced into  a quarantine situation via hospitals and Hospitels (quarantine hotels contracted arrangement with a particular hospital). 

Insurance will NOT pay for this.  

The ridiculous situation is that I have been infected with COVID, but because I am renting a home here I was allowed to quarantine there. 

I wish to travel back to my home country and then return.  Upon return I will move back into my home.  

But the stupidity of this system is that I would be forced to quarantine in a hospital/hospitel on day five if I am COVID positive, despite having a suitable place to quarantine in a home, like before.  So, I keep holding off this trip because of this damned 5-day test requirement with quarantine set-up.  Frustrating as hell.  

• Like 2