No book

I wouldn't. Why putting in the money and work, only to have a big headache and hassle trying to register it?

There are many Vespas in all kinds of conditions for sale that have a legal green book. 

Check out Pong Motor on FB (https://www.facebook.com/PongMotorKhlassikh). They have Italian and Indian Vespas for sale, with and without books.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OmegaRacer said:

I wouldn't. Why putting in the money and work, only to have a big headache and hassle trying to register it?

That's really why I'm asking if there is a way to do it, before I actually purchase one. If or instance it's possible and only cost about 10,000 baht I'd be prepared to go through the hassle as I'd have a nice little project that I would do to my taste. Thanks for the link though, definitely consider that option.

41 minutes ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

That's really why I'm asking if there is a way to do it, before I actually purchase one. If or instance it's possible and only cost about 10,000 baht I'd be prepared to go through the hassle as I'd have a nice little project that I would do to my taste. Thanks for the link though, definitely consider that option.

I'm not saying it's impossible (everything here is possible with the right connections and money), but I highly doubt you can do it for 10k. I don't know how it is with Vespas, but for other vintage bikes (old Honda CB's and Yamaha SR's), books start at 30-35k.
It also depends where you intend on riding. No book in Bkk or Pattaya is a big NO, but if you live somewhere in the countryside, that's different.
Good luck with your project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

I try to get a book for my CB400SF years ago and the office in Bkk where we went to enquire and fortunately a guy there spoke to my Mrs and said you can try to get a book for the bike but its some years old, I will tell you they are very strict in the inspection of the bike and it may 2 or 3 times before they may pass it, he said advise you not to do it if the bike only cost 67,000.

Each inspection is 27,000 and there is no refund and they will certainly find something the fist time unless the bike is like new.

The book if the bike passed would be another 35,000 plus other entry costs into the system. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I try to get a book for my CB400SF years ago and the office in Bkk where we went to enquire and fortunately a guy there spoke to my Mrs and said you can try to get a book for the bike but its some years old, I will tell you they are very strict in the inspection of the bike and it may 2 or 3 times before they may pass it, he said advise you not to do it if the bike only cost 67,000.

Each inspection is 27,000 and there is no refund and they will certainly find something the fist time unless the bike is like new.

The book if the bike passed would be another 35,000 plus other entry costs into the system. 

Wow. That's knocked the idea on its head. Thanks very much for the info ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

Wow. That's knocked the idea on its head. Thanks very much for the info ????

Well you can still fix it up for something to do and have some fun if you want and ride it locally like many Thais do but you need to to live out in the sticks or out the way as such. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well you can still fix it up for something to do and have some fun if you want and ride it locally like many Thais do but you need to to live out in the sticks or out the way as such. 

Agree, and that fact has kept me from buying a few things.  I think I can get away with it where I am, as was thinking of getting one of those electric tinker cars, not so cheap (Wuling) and their promo states they'll register it, for an additional 30+k baht.  Will I actually be stopped and fined 30 or 60 times for 500 or 1000 baht.

That's a steep price, 30+k, and that's hassle free without trying to prove it's origin, tax or street worthy.

Also why I bought the e-motorcycle brand that i did, as only 2 brands that I know of, get registered, DECO & Yadae.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, Kwasaki said:

Nah. Not worth buying it really. I'll either pay more for one with a book or go for a Royal Alloy or Scomadi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

Another quickie if I may. Is there a thread on here of the steps you take in buying a second hand bike? I.e how do you change the owner title and make sure the seller doesn't owe money etc. Many thanks

You can do a search but I've never found it helpful.

Best just start a new topic on motorbike forum. 

Basically you find a bike and can do all the biz at a DLT office.

• Like 1

Another potential problem with riding around on an unregistered bike with no plate is that the police may take a liking to the bike and take it away from you never to be seen again.

Good luck with that riding around on a freshly rebuilt 1960s Vespa that doubtless you would have poured a bunch of cash into.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You can do a search but I've never found it helpful.

Best just start a new topic on motorbike forum. 

Basically you find a bike and can do all the biz at a DLT office.

New to this as when I bought my car it was brand new, so the dealer did all the paperwork. I'll start a new topic. ????

• Like 1