Supermarket Bakery Sections - Free Samples...

Cuban

This particular post is in response to a visit to Pattaya Carrefour yesterday afternoon, but will apply to any store across the country.

Walking past the bakery section having recently been talking to a friend about finding good bread in Thailand I saw three baskets each with a different version of poppy, plain or grain enriched bread, beside each was a smaller basket with free samples.

Hmmm..... which to try.... Grain enriched took my fancy and I took three of the small lumps to taste...

It was OK on first chew but echoed my earlier conversation about the lack of any density as the product was almost mostly air, at that exact moment a young (light brown) cockroach appeared from under the pile of samples of the poppy seeded bread. Frozen mid chew I contemplated the choice of grain over poppy seed and pondered whether the spit or swallow?

Tomorrow I order a home bread maker.

respectfully suggest you avoid the fresh markets ...........

I think that's the point, in the rural market where you might be buying bugs you could expect there to be other bugs, my personal hate is ant covered fruit.

The flies on the meat bugs me less than it used to, by washing at once back home prior to doing anything else seems to work - I've not been ill yet.

respectfully suggest you avoid the fresh markets ...........

I think that's the point, in the rural market where you might be buying bugs you could expect there to be other bugs, my personal hate is ant covered fruit.

The flies on the meat bugs me less than it used to, by washing at once back home prior to doing anything else seems to work - I've not been ill yet.

I think the recent estimate is that americans eat about 1kg of bugs per year .... mostly in things like catsup and strawberry jelly ... and meat

This particular post is in response to a visit to Pattaya Carrefour yesterday afternoon, but will apply to any store across the country.

Walking past the bakery section having recently been talking to a friend about finding good bread in Thailand I saw three baskets each with a different version of poppy, plain or grain enriched bread, beside each was a smaller basket with free samples.

Hmmm..... which to try.... Grain enriched took my fancy and I took three of the small lumps to taste...

It was OK on first chew but echoed my earlier conversation about the lack of any density as the product was almost mostly air, at that exact moment a young (light brown) cockroach appeared from under the pile of samples of the poppy seeded bread. Frozen mid chew I contemplated the choice of grain over poppy seed and pondered whether the spit or swallow?

I hate all these bread/pastry sections in the supermarkets!!!!

Open displays and everybody is touching the products, kids are playing with it, smelling it and so on, for me just disgusting.

I buy my bread from a very good and clean french bakery here in Phuket or do it by myself.

Tomorrow I am doing a baking demonstratiion

with my bakery staff with fresh yeast(imported from Vietnam).

May be I post some pics here tomorrow.

Gerd

Cockroaches have an unjustified bad rep.

They are a lot less "contaminating" than most other pests.

They are also a lot harder to kill.

Never having seen a cockroach until I came to Thailand, I believed all the stories.

''Ooh, if there's a global nuclear war only the cockroaches will survive'' and ''You can put them in microwaves, you know ...''

Now I live here I find keeping a cat keeps all the bugs down. My cats love cockroaches! And they save money buying toys for them to play with!

And then one day a couple of years ago, I accidentally trod on one (cockroach, not a cat) with bare feet. My God! They're soft as <deleted>!

Marketing Lesson: if you want to promote your new or special produt you can choice the way of "samples". Remember that the samples you will offer for your promotion MUST be 1st quality .....more than the standard-production.

I mean that if the sample have not a good taste....forget this product !

Manu

if you want some substantial bread try the KEINKORN krust in carrefour.

Its price varies between 60/70 baht its a small loaf, looks like a house brick and has the same density. It lasts well also, approx 5 days.

I have it for breakfast, beans on toast keeps me going until the afternoon.

I gave my daughter two small slices with red leicester grilled on it...full up afetr a couple of bites.

:o