SSDs not recognised

KannikaP

Put a 1TB Samsung 870EVO in my PC to replace two 6 year old Corsair GS Force 128 GB SSDs which have been perfect. The Corsair SSD 'Health' app showed them to be fine in SMART.

Decided to put them back into my PC as SATA 'spare back up drives', or put one in a USB 3 caddy.

Neither of them show in the bios, My Computer, Disk Management, Ease Us or AOEMI Partition apps. Tried them on another PC and the same....not recognised.

What's the chances of TWO SSDs going tits up at the same time?

Edited by KannikaP
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What's the chances of TWO SSDs going tits up at the same time?

extremely low.

But I had SSD almost killed by a bad USB enclosure: SMART error counters started to grow, e.g. read errors, uncorrectable errors and reallocated sectors; the read test was able to read only a first dozen of gigabytes from the disk, and after them disk gone offline, after disconnecting and reconnecting back the read test was able to read the same dozen of gigabytes only and disk went offline again. But after I took the SSD out of the enclosure and connected directly to the SATA port all problems disappeared and error counters seem frozen - no new errors added since then.

So I would recommend not using a USB enclosure and connect SSD directly, also try a different SATA cables - yours might be faulty.

2 minutes ago, fdsa said:

extremely low.

But I had SSD almost killed by a bad USB enclosure: SMART error counters started to grow, e.g. read errors, uncorrectable errors and reallocated sectors; the read test was able to read only a first dozen of gigabytes from the disk, and after them disk gone offline, after disconnecting and reconnecting back the read test was able to read the same dozen of gigabytes only and disk went offline again. But after I took the SSD out of the enclosure and connected directly to the SATA port all problems disappeared and error counters seem frozen - no new errors added since then.

So I would recommend not using a USB enclosure and connect SSD directly, also try a different SATA cables - yours might be faulty.

Thanks for this reply. As I said in my OP, I tried in both USB box and as a SATA drive directly to the mobo, but no luck.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, fdsa said:

Then maybe your PSU is faulty and has fried the disks.

Find a SATA power cable pinout and check your cable with a multimeter - the 3V/5V/12V pins shouldn't give more then 4V/6V/13V.

Thanks, no problems with my PSU in either PC.

5 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Does any of the items in this link apply?

Why is my ssd not showing up in BIOS

• Locate the SATA configuration menu 
  • Select the option of “Configure SATA as” and set it to “IDE.”

Formatting was often a quick fix when I was trying to recover DATA from older hard drives in the past. From personal experience, I resolved most of my issues after correctly formatting the hard drive.

OMGWTFLOL.

You shouldn't follow the advices from that website, they are wrong and misleading.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Maybe it's your BIOS and not the SSD? 
Quick and dirty check: hook them up with a SATA to USB cable and see if your OS recognizes them.

I already said that I tried both SSDs on two different PCs, both SATA & USB caddy. But it is possible that my USB caddy is faulty. Will get a cable.

Looks like both drives went tits up at the same time?????

Edited by KannikaP

23 hours ago, fdsa said:

extremely low.

I changed the SATA cables from a working drive onto the SSDs. No luck.

28 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You are going to have to go into a lot more detail than that. OS, Motherboard, Motherboard BIOS version, SSD Firmware version....and it still might be just a Corsair issue.

Corsair GS Force 128 GB SSD. x2.   Asus Mobo, i5 CPU. The drives worked fine for years, one as my C drive and the other for Data. 

I have come to the conclusion that they must be BINNED!

If there's a computer service shop close by, take the drives there to be checked.

It sounds like you're able to use your computer without them so perhaps wait until it's convenient.

Edited by gamb00ler

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Corsair GS Force 128 GB SSD. x2.   Asus Mobo, i5 CPU. The drives worked fine for years, one as my C drive and the other for Data. 

I have come to the conclusion that they must be BINNED!

That's not the detail requested.

6 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

If there's a computer service shop close by, take the drives there to be checked.

It sounds like you're able to use your computer without them so perhaps wait until it's convenient.

Yes, I replaced the 2 x Corsair SSDs with a Samsung one, which is working perfectly. Even cloned the old C drive to the new one before it stopped working.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Thanks for trying to help, but it IS the drives. Just tried on yet another PC, and not recognised.

I didn't say that it wasn't the drives. But with no detail, it's a waste of time even discussing it. You cannot even tell which firmware version is installed and that is to do with the drives.

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes, I replaced the 2 x Corsair SSDs with a Samsung one, which is working perfectly. Even cloned the old C drive to the new one before it stopped working.

Seems so very unlikely that both drives give up simultaneously that I still hold out hope that they can be resurrected.

Can you try to boot up with only  the old Corsair C drive installed to it's old SATA port?

Try to get as close as possible to the configuration where the Corsair's worked.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Seems so very unlikely that both drives give up simultaneously that I still hold out hope that they can be resurrected.

Can you try to boot up with only  the old Corsair C drive installed to it's old SATA port?

Try to get as close as possible to the configuration where the Corsair's worked.

Just tried that, but will not boot either from a W11 or AOMEI rescue USB. Now will not boot from my Samsung !!!!!!! Just clicking from my speakers, no beep from the bios.

Try factory reset the bios and reboot.

What model number and version of the motherboard? You can maybe see this in system information.

When you had the additional drive installed/connected what does it show in device manager tree?

Edited by userabcd