Questions on re-entry process

For those who have actually gone through the process of obtaining the Thailand Pass and re-entered through BKK airport;

1. Did you book SHA hotel (including tests and transport) through Agoda? Did it go OK? Their prices are a quarter of the gov. recommended ones, so I am a little suss.

2. What is the procedure once you arrive at the airport? In particular, how do you collect your baggage? If I make the trip I will enter with around 5 checked bags. I can see this being a problem with the transport to hotel. Is there an opportunity to collect your baggage and then drop them off at one of the in-airport luggage stores?

Regards

1. Yes, Agoda. OK. Beware of hotels that will not refund on cancellation. Check the fine print. I didn't and paid the price.

2. Your papers are checked again. The ones that were checked at check in. Collect bags as normal. Ask to be the sole passenger in transfer vehicle during the booking process. I did and it happened. Put five bags in front seat, back seat and trunk.

Bon voyage.

• Like 1

Once you get out of the airport luggage area you are immediately met by a hotel representative and either brought straight to a car or asked to wait right nearby (If they are picking up others). I don't think you will be able to go to a left luggage spot though you can ask (driver who meets you will not speak much English).

Aside from luggage issue, it is best to be the only passenger (to avoid infection/close contact quarantine). Contact the hotel, tell them the amount of your luggage and ask if a private car.

• Like 2

I booked using my hotel's own website rather than Agoda, but the property emailed me a day or so later to request a copy of my flight itinerary and to ask how many bags I would have - so at least some hotels are thinking about such things. As others have suggested, just contact the hotel yourself to advise them about your luggage if they don't reach out to you first.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I booked using my hotel's own website rather than Agoda, but the property emailed me a day or so later to request a copy of my flight itinerary and to ask how many bags I would have - so at least some hotels are thinking about such things. As others have suggested, just contact the hotel yourself to advise them about your luggage if they don't reach out to you first.

Over the past 18 months, each return into Thailand the ASQ / Phuket SandBox / Test & Go hotel has contacted me after booking (via Agoda) to enquire as to my flight details / baggage etc. 

For ASQ and Test & Go the hotels need our flight details as they are responsible for our SHA+ certified transport to the hotel. 

For Phuket Sandbox - Taxi’s at the Airport are SHA+ certified so that is not such a big deal, but the hotel usually include transport and want that information. 

The luggage thing is of course common sense - I have often travelled with luggage that can’t fit in a standard Camry (i.e. when travelling with family, or with sports equipment etc).

6 hours ago, huyuli said:

Yes, Agoda. OK. Beware of hotels that will not refund on cancellation. Check the fine print. I didn't and paid the price

What about booking through Booking .com?

I remember reading here that they were not acceptable but did not see any follow up, so if anyone has any info regarding this I would appreciate it.

thanks all

51 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I came back in Dec on Thai pass - booked holiday inn express through Agoda about 5K baht included everything. 3 average meals but absolutely no complaint.

We booked directly with Landmark Hotel Test&Go. Easy, efficient, price 5.000 approx. Food was good. Test done @Bumrungrad. Result within 5hrs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

What about booking through Booking .com?

I remember reading here that they were not acceptable but did not see any follow up, so if anyone has any info regarding this I would appreciate it.

thanks all

Booking.com and Agoda are owned by Booking Holdings Inc they do have some differences. 

Agoda uses the Agency Model - i.e. Agoda sets up the deal with the hotels etc and the vendor pays Agoda. 

Booking.com uses both the Agency and Merchant model whereby deals vary and with some hotels the booking is made and the customer pays at the hotel, with other deals we pay Booking.com.

The Merchant model generates and issue as Thailand Pass requires a Pre-Paid booking.

Thus, when using Booking.com there are extra checks to be carried out to ensure the booking is ‘Pre-paid’ the confirmation letter would state that. 

In contrast Agoda’s bookings for SHA Plus+ are pre-paid and the booking confirmations state that. 

Another issue with Booking.com is even that the hotel States it is an SHA Extra Plus (i.e. SHA Plus +) the booking itself may not include the required Airport Transfer and PCR test... 

This is especially so if the booking is only $50 - Thats pretty much a guarantee that it doesn’t have the required PCR test and Transport. 

USE agoda - is more transparent and clearly states what you are booking and confirms it in their booking receipt. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Booking.com and Agoda are owned by Booking Holdings Inc they do have some differences. 

Agoda uses the Agency Model - i.e. Agoda sets up the deal with the hotels etc and the vendor pays Agoda. 

Booking.com uses both the Agency and Merchant model whereby deals vary and with some hotels the booking is made and the customer pays at the hotel, with other deals we pay Booking.com.

The Merchant model generates and issue as Thailand Pass requires a Pre-Paid booking.

Thus, when using Booking.com there are extra checks to be carried out to ensure the booking is ‘Pre-paid’ the confirmation letter would state that. 

In contrast Agoda’s bookings for SHA Plus+ are pre-paid and the booking confirmations state that. 

Another issue with Booking.com is even that the hotel States it is an SHA Extra Plus (i.e. SHA Plus +) the booking itself may not include the required Airport Transfer and PCR test... 

This is especially so if the booking is only $50 - Thats pretty much a guarantee that it doesn’t have the required PCR test and Transport. 

USE agoda - is more transparent and clearly states what you are booking and confirms it in their booking receipt. 

Edited 5 hours ago by richard_smith237

Many thanks for your detailed and succinct reply, I have genius 3 rating with Booking .com so get discounts and freebies but your advise is very clear and will be followed, thanks again