Which is your preferred translation of Crime and Punishment? And, during these times, have you burned all your Russian books?

GammaGlobulin

I do not read Russian, but I wish I did.

Even though everyone is upset by current events, still I do not burn my Russian books.

What really bothers me is having so many different translations of Russian books.

There must be thousands of translations of Russian books, over the years, and which is the best one; one wishes one knew.

I have read a few translations of Russian books, and not one can explain current affairs.

The thing that disturbs me more than the translations of Russian books is that Putin remains inscrutable, and there is no easy way to translate him.

The only thing I know about Putin is that he loves to ride horses.

89594251-russian-prime-minister-vladimir-putin-rides-a-horse.jpg_CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg.d33a6618b3be2215a4d25a28127a0356.jpg

I have never ridden a horse.

And, I have never ridden a horse bareback while riding bare-chested.

Maybe, this is just something Russian, which I missed in translation.

The most powerful man in the world, perhaps, might be the craziest man in the world.

Who knows what is in the mind of a man on a horse without a shirt......

Some of you might think Putin extremely sexy, and you would not be mistaken.

Putin is sexy, for sure.

• Haha 1

I have never ridden a horse.

And, I have never ridden a horse bareback while riding bare-chested.

Maybe, this is just something Russian, which I missed in translation. 

I don't think so. It is just clever PR. An attempt to make a serial killing dictator look courageous and manly. An attempt at the "strongman" image. 

I would love to see this coward match into battle with his boys. My guess is he would wet his pants. Pampers anyone? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The only thing I know about Putin is that he loves to ride horses.

what I hear most often is that he is old school KGB and was very upset when the empire fell apart under Gorbachov and he wants to be the one to build it back... he is very wealthy and has become somewhat isolated. 

On 2/28/2022 at 11:35 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

poured my Russian dressing down toilet--

made Molotov cocktail with sangsom but ended up drinking it...

Putin on the Ritz...crackers

Putin on the Ritz?

Nice.

1930s

And in Russia, during that time, they were also Putin on the Ritz....

McCormick-Deering_15-30_The_First_Tractor_Propaganda_Shot.thumb.jpg.5413889f6d0808c4b2013a30bb0c4aeb.jpg

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Russian Literature is the best true representation of Russian People & Soul. It is brilliant & humanistic & has nothing to do with Russian Tyranny, except to report its tragic impact on people …. and condemn it. 

Have you read Candide?

Voltaire was not an especially nice person, when it came to some people.

What might be good for the goose, is sometimes not so good for the gander.

3 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Have you read Candide?

Voltaire was not an especially nice person, when it came to some people.

What might be good for the goose, is sometimes not so good for the gander.

Your own OP is Russian Books. I’m referring to mainstream classic Russian Authors, none of whom supported tyranny.

6 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Your own OP is Russian Books. I’m referring to mainstream classic Russian Authors, none of whom supported tyranny.

OK.

But, are there any Russian authors even half as adept as Voltaire at using satire to poke fun at governments?  Such as Candide?

Anyway, my apologies for mentioning Voltaire on our beloved Farang Pub, beloved by me, at least.

On 2/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, Will B Good said:

Which is your preferred translation of Crime and Punishment?......The English one.

Sorry, and maybe I should have qualified this, even though this is an English-language forum, and I had thought this might be understood.

However, as you say, Russian authors are sometimes translated into other important languages, besides English.

For example, I am thinking of translating Crime and Punishment, one of the greatest novels ever written, into a click language of the Khoisan group. Can you even imagine how magnificent it might be to listen to Crime and Punishment, on an audio book, in a click language.

In case you cannot imagine this, then here is an example of what C&P might sound like using a click language.  And, it might be great for listening, while walking in the hills here in Thailand....

By the way:  I LOVE this guy, and I love this language which might be lost, so regretfully, in the near future.

Therefore, might it even be possible to fund the translation of Crime and Punishment into this click language?

For SURE, if I were a rich man, I would fund such a project.

Crime and Punishment should be read by every man, and Everyman.

Take care, My Friends.....

We are All ONE, and we all must recognize our sameness, despite our various cultural differences.

Here is another video I like:

By  the way:

There is a linguist researcher from some major university I read about several years ago who attempted to learn a click language, and the more he practiced, the more his larynx changed, and it change radically!

I am not pulling your legs, here.

If you wish, i will support my claim using peer-reviewed references in future posts.

Thank you my friends,

Regards,

Glob.

Crime and Punishment was the first Russian novel I read, at age 12, and it changed my life.

(All landladies, everywhere, should read this great book, in my opinion.  Treat your tenants well.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin