Can we still afford to shop at Thai supermarkets?

webfact

I was surprised to see the price of fuel.

A week ago, I filled my car with Diesel at 35,64 a litre in Kanchanaburi.

Last Friday in BKK at Shell it was 39,75

Today, a barrel of oil was 10% up but Diesel at the station was 3% down at 38,54

Heavy intervention by the thai government I guess.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

Had a walk through Villa Market.
Crazy prices.

Strawberries for 250-455Baht

1 avocado 85 baht

And many other crazy prices but there must be people paying those prices otherwise it wouldn't be on offer.

A young woman at a roadside stall near my GF's village sold me ripe strawberries for 50 baht. She discounted them for me from 80 baht, as I am a good customer.

Avocados in the main Chiang Rai market are 50 baht a kilo. The stall holder selects them for me on the basis of eat now, tomorrow or the next day.

Yet to see a supermarket where the avocados were not as hard as a pawnbroker's heart.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

True, but wondering what that has to do with supermarket prices.

Read the full post that i replied to,then maybe you will understand.

Hint..read the final 3 Paragraphs!

On 3/4/2022 at 7:53 AM, sirineou said:

We mostly food shop at Macro, and at the morning market in Khon Kaen. 

Prices and selection in Lotu'sesssss (LOL we always make fun of the name change)  are crazy in relationship to the local markets. 

I went a few times to Tops and and once to Villa Market in Udon Thani and was not impressed. 

I have a meat grinder attachment to my kitchen-aid and we grind our own ground pork and beef,  There is little , if any, difference in  price between ground pork  and Pork shoulder , but in your own ground you can control the quality and amount of fat.

We bake out own Bread. really very easy to do, and very inexpensive. I refrigerate parts of it and when I am ready to eat, I throw it in the air fryer for a few minutes, It always comes out like freshly baked. The bread they sell at the suppermarkets is cr#p 

I also make my own sausages and freeze them .

Plenty of videos on videos on you tube on how to do any of these things.

I am now waiting for wife to wake up, to go to the morning market,  Today I am in the mood for Beets, 

sliced, and Boiled until soft, then served with olive oil vinegar, , Oregano , salt and Pepper, Love dipping my freshly baked or warmed bread in the juice.  Just remember that you ate beets the next day you go to the bathroom or you can have an alarming experience ????

1638423491_bread1.jpg.58f5c954c2473564f219abd8abae6c85.jpg

Much the same for me, re: baking bread, making sausages, etc. Better use of my time and money than holding down a barstool, besides more healthy for a diabetic old coot.

Today recieveed my latest order from Lazada which will produce the core of sixty meals, breakfasts and lunches, for 500 baht total. Thats less than ten baht each meal including whole wheat for bread, cheese, rolled oats, and the little sugar I use. Yesterday Lotus yielded two litres of milk for 41 baht.... hey presto, fifteen servings of yoghurt. A hand of bananas was twenty baht. A kilo of diced duck was thirty-seven baht on offer, which run through the grinder makes great burgers, spag bol, etc.

It is possible to eat well and healthily for little money here, still. Just need to expand one's hobby repetoire.????

20220310_111724.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 7:12 PM, RafPinto said:

I was surprised to see the price of fuel.

A week ago, I filled my car with Diesel at 35,64 a litre in Kanchanaburi.

Last Friday in BKK at Shell it was 39,75

Today, a barrel of oil was 10% up but Diesel at the station was 3% down at 38,54

Heavy intervention by the thai government I guess.

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and I put 500 baht worth of diesel in my Ford Ranger. That got me 16 litres @31.25 baht per litre at the local PT station. yesterday 09 March 2022

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 8:51 PM, Albert Zweistein said:

Today I bought in Europe 500 grams medium size carrots at € 0.59 or 22 bht.

@ pompchop : are carrots western food ?

At the market today in Spain I bought 1kg avocado €1.00, 2kg mixed Chilli (peppers) €1.30, 1kg vine tomatoes €1.30.

A bottle of Rioja wine €3.00.

• Like 2