Air conditioner quality, warranty, reviews in Thailand?

Finally I bought a condominium and I will renovate it from scratch. This includes new air conditioners.

I am able to find air conditioners in the local shops but I don't trust the advice of the sales people. Because they are exactly that, SALES people. They want to sell.

I am sure there are differences in the quality of the different brands and units, differences in warranty, ease of service, and and and.

Do you know about any website or videos from experts who review air conditioners?

And what is your personal experience with different brands. What did you buy? Do you like them? Would you buy them again?

Personally I want good quality air conditioners which are easy to maintain and with long warranty times. The price is not my main concern. If any brand/model is significantly better but cost (a lot more) than that is acceptable for me.

Obviously I will hire professionals to install the air conditioners. But I want to know about the differences before I hire such a company and follow their advice. 

We replaced two AC units last year and went to inverter models.  One because it started to leak the other because it was old and oversized and therefore not energy efficient. 

The first one was an LG 12,000 BTU.  I would not reccomend.  The original Carrier unit failed and the unit was one the repair person had in stock.  The unit cools just OK and it has a tendency to both gather mold and spit water from the fan blades when it first starts to cool. 

The second model was the Daikain Smart top of the line.  Very good.  The unit cools adequately and we noticed a drop in our AC bill each month from about 4,600 bath to about 2,400 baht.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have had Samsung air cons and really don't think they are up to scratch, and even though I am in a rental apartment now, I replaced the current Samsung aircon with one from Mitsubishi Electric, and that is great.

I did a great deal of research before settling on the Mitsubishi, and was also impressed with Daikin and Hitachi air cons, and I wanted an inverter unit, so the Mitsubishi fitted the bill exactly.

Thanks, how/where did you do the research?

I found lots of websites with technical information and advertisements in all forms. But until now I don't think I found any website or video with what I would call an expert review. 

Which Mitsubishi model did you buy? As far as I know they have a couple of different models (and I am not talking about BTU).

Mitsubish HEAVY INDUSTRIES are the units of choice in our markets. Properties owned by Chinese. They know what is what. Had same unit in my wife's shop for 15 years. Fast to cool, quiet in operation. Has never needed any maintenance. Reasonable electricity bills. Chinese shopkeeper next door transplanted a 20 year old unit. Works perfectly.

Edited by The Fugitive
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, how/where did you do the research?

I found lots of websites with technical information and advertisements in all forms. But until now I don't think I found any website or video with what I would call an expert review. 

Which Mitsubishi model did you buy? As far as I know they have a couple of different models (and I am not talking about BTU).

It was a couple of years plus ago now, but I recall getting onto the Internet and searching for aircon reviews and found some in the US and the UK, which I duly noted.

There were several websites I visited which gave the lowdown (and tests) on various makes, and I spent at least a couple of months doing my research, and finally settled for the Mitsubishi Electric Mr Slim Inverter model and luckily enough just after I had decided upon this, a local large equipment store had the model I wanted on a special offer, with free fitting, so I jumped at the chance.

Like you, cost wasn't really the deciding thing, efficiency and reliability rated highly for me, and so far I have not been disappointed.

Good luck in your efforts.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Mitsubish HEAVY INDUSTRIES are the units of choice in our markets. Properties owned by Chinese. They know what is what. Had same unit in my wife's shop for 15 years. Fast to cool, quiet in operation. Has never needed any maintenance. Reasonable electricity bills. Chinese shopkeeper next door transplanted a 20 year old unit. Works perfectly.

Misubishi Mr Slims x 4 in my house for over 10 years. Serviced/cleaned every year. No problems whatsoever.

Just had fitted one of the new Mitsu Mr Slim Happy Inverters in a bedroom. 

• Like 2

Refitted a condo in 2020 and finished building a house in '21. Condo has Carrier X Inverter, house has X Inverter Plus.  

I know a good, reliable AC engineer who'd fitted out a shop for us a few years ago, and he recommended Carrier or Mitsubishi, but Carrier was significantly lower cost for inverters.

As we needed 3 units in the condo and 6 in the house, cost was the deciding factor.

They work fine - very quiet, low operating costs, effective, and the black finish looks good in the right rooms.  But .... one unit in the condo and two in the house have a recurring issue with a bad smell on start up.  

The foul smell goes after 5 minutes of operation, and cleaning and servicing does not fix the issue with these 3 units.

The engineer said it's a known issue with the Carrier X series, and it's related to the catalyst self cleaning.  But apart from this nuisance issue, I'm happy with them, especially considering the cost.

• Thanks 1

Consider a VRV system when you have cavity in the ceiling. Daiqin is the leader.

Newest ACs have also PM 2.5 filters.

The noise in the sleeping room should be heared before buying. No over dimensions in BCUs due to higher cost for elect. and noises. 

????

• Like 1

Thanks for all your posts.

I just searched for Mitsubishi air conditioners in Thailand and it seems they have many model series.

Here are some links in case someone else likes to look at the details

https://www.mitsuheavythai.com/en/products-main.php

https://www.mitsubishi-kyw.co.th/Product/For-Home/conditioner.aspx

https://www.mitsubishi-kyw.co.th/Product/For-Business/conditioner-business.aspx

http://www.mitsubishi-mcp.co.th/products/Products_m1.html

The last link has links to several product lines. Also to this one

http://www.mitsubishi-mcp.co.th/products/Products_m3_Multisystem.html

This includes Residential Multi which is one outdoor unit and several indoor units.

Does anybody of you have any experience with those multi systems? I think in theory it sounds good.

ResidentialMulti.jpg.2399dfd9273f5b4018bc272db2bc33f8.jpg

• Thanks 1

IME Mitsubishi make the most reliable aircons. One in my Australian house was over 20 years old.

The Panasonics I have here work OK, but they do have to be turned off at the fuse box if left idle, otherwise they have a problem with too much charge in the starting capacitor.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

but they do have to be turned off at the fuse box if left idle, otherwise they have a problem with too much charge in the starting capacitor.

Hmm.  That should not be an issue.  I have had issues with ants taking out the relay on old style AC when not in use for a few months.

• Like 1

I got 9 Mitsubishi units in my house. I seven years of operation I had to replace a couple of sensors, one control board, one inverter board and one internal unit fan motor. All original parts, about 15k.  My cleaning schedule is so, so.. and power supply sucks. Finding someone you can trust takes a while when you are "out in the sticks", but that's me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Hmm.  That should not be an issue.  I have had issues with ants taking out the relay on old style AC when not in use for a few months.

If I close the fuse board switches when the aircons are idle, and only open them when they are to be used, they start OK. Leave the switches on, they won't. It apparently takes a few hours for the extra charge to bleed off.

That was how it was explained to me by the Thai aircon guy we called the first time they refused to start.

Daikin or Mitsubishi in my opinion. 

I went with Daikin after getting a lot of recommendations for Daikin in this forum as well 5 years ago for my house. Cleaning them every 6 months and 0 problems so far or anything broken. Just bought the newest Daikin for my new kitchen as well great functions with airflow towards roof only.

41 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

When I was researching AC the reports online and from the various installers I contacted all said Daikin or Mitsubishi.  One installer said to stay away from Mitsubishi Heavy because though they were good units they were expensive to fix.  Most installers I talked to said Daikin and Mitsubishi were neck and neck one installer said parts for Daikin were a bit more available.  One way or another, I chose the very top model of Daikin inverter a 20,000 BTU model that replaced an older Carrier 33,000 BTU model and the new AC does just fine.  It also cut our electric bill in half.  That I am sure was partly due to the smaller BTU and partly because if was the top model in efficiency in the inverter line.  Now after 15 months saving over 2,000 baht per month the unit has virtually paid for itself. 

This is accurate. That's why in my opinion Daikin is a great choice, but you don't make anything wrong with Mitsubishi Heavy. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all your posts.

I just searched for Mitsubishi air conditioners in Thailand and it seems they have many model series.

Here are some links in case someone else likes to look at the details

https://www.mitsuheavythai.com/en/products-main.php

https://www.mitsubishi-kyw.co.th/Product/For-Home/conditioner.aspx

https://www.mitsubishi-kyw.co.th/Product/For-Business/conditioner-business.aspx

http://www.mitsubishi-mcp.co.th/products/Products_m1.html

The last link has links to several product lines. Also to this one

http://www.mitsubishi-mcp.co.th/products/Products_m3_Multisystem.html

This includes Residential Multi which is one outdoor unit and several indoor units.

Does anybody of you have any experience with those multi systems? I think in theory it sounds good.

ResidentialMulti.jpg.2399dfd9273f5b4018bc272db2bc33f8.jpg

I went for the multi system 2 compressor units 7 headers with heat exchangers to heat hot water tanks, I got the company to supply and fit incase of problems. I bought Gree system which is the world's largest manufacturer. The company is in Chiang Mai but go everywhere. It was expensive but worth it 20220204_172212.thumb.jpg.7f48092ef13ad13d9dddb150de24f16a.jpg

• Like 2

For individual room type units, Midea is my pick at the moment. I first came across them in Myanmar a few years back where we had maybe 50 units installed in a couple of remote camp sites. No failures over two seasons of work in temperatures similar to Thailand. They were imported from Malaysia but I now see that they are available in Thailand.

https://www.midea.com/th

• Thanks 1

Mine had to be replaced. An old Panasonic that dripped and needed cleaning too often.

The Cie that did the job proposed an Eminent. I asked about Haier, since my neighbor had one installed. They said Eminent better. These guys have been servicing the apartment complex here for many years, I know them well, so I trusted them. Have to trust someone....

That should have been done a long time ago, since the electricity bill dropped by about 1,200 bt. per month. The unit would have been paid by itself  in the first year of use.

And no problem so far...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have bought 6 Daikin airconditioners in the last two years . I also get a good price from a small shop in Chiang Mai . Shop is small but have a high turnover .

I personally recommend Daikin .

They also clean the units one time  for free after 12 months 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Refitted a condo in 2020 and finished building a house in '21. Condo has Carrier X Inverter, house has X Inverter Plus.  

I know a good, reliable AC engineer who'd fitted out a shop for us a few years ago, and he recommended Carrier or Mitsubishi, but Carrier was significantly lower cost for inverters.

As we needed 3 units in the condo and 6 in the house, cost was the deciding factor.

They work fine - very quiet, low operating costs, effective, and the black finish looks good in the right rooms.  But .... one unit in the condo and two in the house have a recurring issue with a bad smell on start up.  

The foul smell goes after 5 minutes of operation, and cleaning and servicing does not fix the issue with these 3 units.

The engineer said it's a known issue with the Carrier X series, and it's related to the catalyst self cleaning.  But apart from this nuisance issue, I'm happy with them, especially considering the cost.

Good knowledge! Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Ha ha ha.

Given you are the guy who also likes putting sad icons on some of my posts, I can ignore that childish post. Just like I am ignoring you, goodbye.

• Thanks 2