Air conditioner quality, warranty, reviews in Thailand?

18 hours ago, Netease said:

I went for the multi system 2 compressor units 7 headers with heat exchangers to heat hot water tanks, I got the company to supply and fit incase of problems. I bought Gree system which is the world's largest manufacturer. The company is in Chiang Mai but go everywhere. It was expensive but worth it 20220204_172212.thumb.jpg.7f48092ef13ad13d9dddb150de24f16a.jpg

this stuff is super interesting. Do you mind sharing what these multi units cost roughly? Having 1 big compressor outside vs 5 small ones around a house is something I would consider as well in the future ???? 

That water heating is also interesting, but to be honest a good easy water heater for the shower costs you 3000 THB and it just works. 

• Like 1

I looked at some details of Daikin and Mitsubishi air-cons.

(At least) Two irritating issues:

It seems all the Thai model numbers are in Thailand only. I find a couple of YouTube videos but in Thai only. I guess that means they sell these units only in Thailand or they have different model names in other countries. That makes it difficult to impossible to find reviews.

About the multi systems (one compressor, multiple indoor units): Looking at the descriptions it seems they are all combined cooling and heating, which doesn't make much sense in Thailand. But maybe they are also only available in cooling only.

I don't find any prices for these multi systems. It would be nice to get an idea how they compare to other systems.

And it also seems that they have fewer control options (WiFi, with microprocessor) compared to the single units.

I am still looking for more details myself. But please let me know if you have anything to say about the above issues. 

I have Mitsu, York and Carrier units, they've all been good. 

Mitsu and Daikin are good products, but they do command a premium, typically 20-30% more when comparing apples to apples. 

Make sure you get copper coils. 

Cassettes are absolutely worth the extra money. 

Carrier Thailand has a great website and a good BTU calculator. 

Modern Air has a great website for comparing pricing between brands. 

The quality of the installation is more important that the brand you buy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had Electrolux, Saijo Denki, Samsung and MItsubishi and I'd advice to stay away from Samsung, the aluminium coils leak and judging from our repairman's comment it's a matter of time and it's economical to repair. 

Note there's 2 factory and distributor of Mitsubishi and they're branded differently one is MItsubishi electric's 'Mr. Slim' and the other being Mitsubishi 'Heavy Duty'

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Modern Air has a great website for comparing pricing between brands. 

Modern Air looks interesting, thanks.

https://www.modernair.co.th/en/

Aber the installation: can you please elaborate what you mean.

I would have thought if the aircon is in a good place and all is installed correctly then it works correctly. And if not then not. And if it doesn't work then obviously the installing technician or company have to "fix" it. Or not? 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would have thought if the aircon is in a good place and all is installed correctly then it works correctly. And if not then not. And if it doesn't work then obviously the installing technician or company have to "fix" it. Or not? 

I agree with your logic, but sometimes details of proper installation are overlooked and can cause problems in the near future even if the unit works on day 1.  I recently bought a new aircon from Powerbuy in Chiang Mai. Install location is too far from the city to justify the extra cost for Powerbuy technicians to install.  Got a local guy to install it who was recommended by a nearby resort.  The electrical work was fine.  Refrigerant tubing looked ok to my untrained eye.  So I paid him before some mechanical details were done because i had to leave.  I come back to find that he didn't fasten the rubber feet of the compressor into the concrete shelf it sits on. This could cause damage to the tubing fittings if the vibration of the compressor makes it walk away over time.  Also, insufficient pipe support on a long section of almost horizontal condensate drain pipe left the pipe sagging down in the middle with water.    I fixed the issues, and the system works fine.  But I don't expect Powerbuy to honor any warranty in the future because the installation was not done by their technicians.  The local guy who installed it doesn't care if it works for more than a 30 minutes (paid cash, no receipt, no service contract)

Edited by captainjackS
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Modern Air looks interesting, thanks.

https://www.modernair.co.th/en/

Aber the installation: can you please elaborate what you mean.

I would have thought if the aircon is in a good place and all is installed correctly then it works correctly.

Correct

And if not then not.

Correct

And if it doesn't work then obviously the installing technician or company have to "fix" it. Or not? 

Or not.

If they don't install it correctly, it's likely because they do not know how to install it correctly, so they will be unable to "fix" it. They will be able to come to you home and make a mess over and over. 

Biggest issues are poor drains and insufficient electrical service.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I looked at some details of Daikin and Mitsubishi air-cons.

(At least) Two irritating issues:

It seems all the Thai model numbers are in Thailand only. I find a couple of YouTube videos but in Thai only. I guess that means they sell these units only in Thailand or they have different model names in other countries. That makes it difficult to impossible to find reviews.

The units are manufactured domestically, and anything they export would have a market specific model numbers. A unit with Thai language stickers would have a different model number than the same unit with Arabic stickers.  

Watching YouTube reviewed from disgruntled customers and or shills is largely a waste of time. Big, old, well respected companies with decent market share will all be offering decent products.   

About the multi systems (one compressor, multiple indoor units): Looking at the descriptions it seems they are all combined cooling and heating, which doesn't make much sense in Thailand. But maybe they are also only available in cooling only.

I don't find any prices for these multi systems. It would be nice to get an idea how they compare to other systems.

And it also seems that they have fewer control options (WiFi, with microprocessor) compared to the single units.

The multi-splits, and splits in general are becoming more popular in the US, often replacing ducted systems. One condenser on the back or roof of the house looks better and is quieter in most of the house than multiple units. With the proliferation of inverters, multis are really coming into there own, and they are getting more popular in Thailand. Someone mentioned Gree, and I know Carrier/Toshiba and Mitsubishi are offering them now. 

It does not cost significantly more to configure the multi-split (or single-split) systems such that they will both  heat and cool, that's not why the price is significantly higher. I assume the cost is higher because of scarcity, installation and warranty costs.  It's not a very well developed market in Thailand yet. Something like cassettes here ten years ago. 

I am still looking for more details myself. But please let me know if you have anything to say about the above issues. 

You figure out your floor-plan yet? You need to do this before you can start selecting air conditioners. 

If you're going to have one big room (like I think you've implied) just put a big cassette in the middle and a few nice ceiling fans. 

12 hours ago, digbeth said:

I've had Electrolux, Saijo Denki, Samsung and MItsubishi and I'd advice to stay away from Samsung, the aluminium coils leak and judging from our repairman's comment it's a matter of time and it's economical to repair. 

I think you mean the Al coils are NOT easy to repair, yes? Copper can just be soldered, an Al coil typically has to be replaced. 

I've not had an Electrolux AC, but I've had their washers and dryers (first set 15 years, second set 5 years) and their service is great.

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

The units are manufactured domestically, and anything they export would have a market specific model numbers. A unit with Thai language stickers would have a different model number than the same unit with Arabic stickers.  

Watching YouTube reviewed from disgruntled customers and or shills is largely a waste of time. Big, old, well respected companies with decent market share will all be offering decent products.   

The multi-splits, and splits in general are becoming more popular in the US, often replacing ducted systems. One condenser on the back or roof of the house looks better and is quieter in most of the house than multiple units. With the proliferation of inverters, multis are really coming into there own, and they are getting more popular in Thailand. Someone mentioned Gree, and I know Carrier/Toshiba and Mitsubishi are offering them now. 

It does not cost significantly more to configure the multi-split (or single-split) systems such that they will both  heat and cool, that's not why the price is significantly higher. I assume the cost is higher because of scarcity, installation and warranty costs.  It's not a very well developed market in Thailand yet. Something like cassettes here ten years ago. 

You figure out your floor-plan yet? You need to do this before you can start selecting air conditioners. 

If you're going to have one big room (like I think you've implied) just put a big cassette in the middle and a few nice ceiling fans. 

Thanks for your detailed reply. Here are some answers and comments.

I am looking i.e. at the Thai models MITSUBISHI MSY-GTxxx, the model number are not in Thai language so they could easily be used in other countries - if they wanted to do that.

Currently I look at the features of the different manufacturers and models. I.e. with WiFi control, person detection, and things like that. Basically I am looking what is available at all. Then I can decide which of those features are important for me.

Obviously I don't believe everything anybody on YouTube publishes. But sometimes there are expert videos and sometimes it is possible to pick up differences just by watching videos of people who demonstrate them. That is obviously not the only source of information but one of those sources. And about good brands and good products: Sometime good brands bring out new products with flaws. Then it's good to know about those flaws.

About the floor plan and one big room: Probably next week we knock some walls out and then I should be able to see in real life what I see in the moment only on a plan. Maybe I will put some kind of room divider in the big room. That is not decided yet. And after all that is decided then it's time to look at where exactly which unit should be installed (with expert advice).

I like cassettes but the my ceiling is relative low which makes it difficult to impossible to use cassettes.

Mitsubishi fan myself, and they (6) have served us well over the years.  Bought 2 more, inverters, for the new build, not installed yet.  You notice most hotels have Mits. units.

On the large space thingy, our one area was 96 m², mostly rectangular, and we had 2 unit, at far ends, 18 & 24 BTUs.  Handled it fine, with a curtain midway, dividing the 'room' into 56+40 m², when not having guests.

Another 20 m² behind where point of photo taken.  20X4 w/ 16 m² kitchen to the side.

101_3865.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think you mean the Al coils are NOT easy to repair, yes? Copper can just be soldered, an Al coil typically has to be replaced. 

I've not had an Electrolux AC, but I've had their washers and dryers (first set 15 years, second set 5 years) and their service is great.

yeah forgot the un in that... , un-economical to even replace if it's going to fail again in a couple of years. 

I think Bangkok and most of Thailand's air is too corrosive for the aluminium coils

On 3/5/2022 at 1:21 PM, Yellowtail said:

I installed the last one myself so I can't argue with you there.

On 3/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, captainjackS said:

I come back to find that he didn't fasten the rubber feet of the compressor into the concrete shelf it sits on.

This is a common trait with the 'artisans''s here. Most units come with these anti-vibration mounts but for some reason, the average installer ignores them. If you ever need some, just check the tray of any installers pickup truck!

• Haha 1

Mitsubishi are popular and solid, but I find them to be underwhelming, feature wise. And they have not kept up with the times, and have barely improved over the years. Very utilitarian.

I prefer Daikin, Electrolux and Panasonic, and always choose inverters. They are all more expensive, but worth it, if you can afford the difference. 

Having said that, I do have an 18,000 btu Samsung, which was one of the first inverters to come out 15 years ago. It is still going strong, but is very well maintained. Service is important. I have mine thoroughly cleaned and gone over every 6.months.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

This is a common trait with the 'artisans''s here. Most units come with these anti-vibration mounts but for some reason, the average installer ignores them. If you ever need some, just check the tray of any installers pickup truck!

The aircon works without those rubber things. The Thai guys are smart, they don't spend time with unnecessary tasks. ????

It's the same with preventive maintenance. Why do anything if you don't absolutely must do it?

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

You notice most hotels have Mits. units.

I think most hotels use water-cooled fan coil units hidden in the ceiling, and centralized  chillers that are (generally) in the basement or on the roof.  

25 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think most hotels use water-cooled fan coil units hidden in the ceiling, and centralized  chillers that are (generally) in the basement or on the roof.  

Most large hotels maybe.   I was obviously referring to the single units per room, with compressor on outside wall or balcony.   As I believe that's the type unit the OP would be purchasing, since using 'conditioner(s)' in OP, and not going for central AC. 

Which case I notice mostly Mits units.  When in a hotel room with a crappy AC, it's usually not a Mits unit.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Most large hotels maybe.   I was obviously referring to the single units per room, with compressor on outside wall or balcony.   As I believe that's the type unit the OP would be purchasing, since using 'conditioner(s)' in OP, and not going for central AC. 

Which case I notice mostly Mits units.  When in a hotel room with a crappy AC, it's usually not a Mits unit.

When staying in hotel LK President in Pattaya I noticed the individual air conditioning units upon the balconies (Daikin). Wonder what sort of discount the hotel group obtains? 

Edited by The Fugitive

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

When staying in hotel LK President in Pattaya I noticed the individual air conditioning units upon the balconies (Daikin). Wonder what sort of discount the hotel group obtains? 

Maybe not much discount. Individual units can easily be switched on and off. And maybe the price is even better.

I know i.e. about computer UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply): Small units, which are produced in millions, are a lot cheaper than bigger units. I.e. it is a lot cheaper to give 10 individual PCs each a UPS instead of one big UPS for all of them - just as an example. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 3:08 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Ditto on Daikin and Mitsu.  Although, a few years ago, I read several good reviews on the LG "double inverter".  LG quality has been impressive lately.

When I built my house in 2009 cost was a consideration and I put in 2 basic LG 18,000 btu aircons, lounge and bedroom. They have been running now for over 12 years with out a problem and have to admit I am a bit slack on the maintenance. The only thing is they are a bit noisy, not a problem in the lounge but will go for a quieter model in the bedroom when it packs up.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Mainly the older buildings, new hotels and refurbs tend to be individual. I don't think there is any preferred make, probably more to do with the budget.

Seen some refurbs with under sized units.

58 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Mainly the older buildings, new hotels and refurbs tend to be individual. I don't think there is any preferred make, probably more to do with the budget.

Seen some refurbs with under sized units.

Yes, just look at all the condenser units hanging off these hotels: 

Hotels.JPG.362b73a31cadbd6fa901ae1ef26811da.JPG

• Haha 2

The age of a hotel has little to do with what type of air conditioning they use. The size, configuration and capitalization has much to do with it. Air conditioning technology has not changed a lot over the years. 

Splits are great for condominiums and apartments, because the cost for electricity can be charged to the individual units. So every condominium and apartment building in Thailand generally has them. They are also pretty good for smaller, low-capital hotels, as well as any hotel that has been converted from a condo/apartment, because these operations tend to minimize capital investment. 

The idea of a big, large-capital purpose-built hotel using mini-splits is ridiculous. These operations are less concerned with minimizing their capital investment, and very concerned with their ongoing cost of operation. Cooling and or heating water at a central location and distributing the chilled or heated water to hundreds of individual fan coil units is much cheaper to operate and maintain than hundreds of mini-spits. 

• Like 1

I found a Samsung digital invertor on sale in PowerBuy about 3 years ago, put it in the bedroom, it runs like a charm. It just purrs along all night, not stopping and starting like the damn things in the various hotels I've stayed in these past few years. As I mentioned it was greatly reduced, and the price included delivery to our house and installation. So far I'm very happy with it but note that some people report Samsung do not last as long as other more expensive brands do.

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The idea of a big, large-capital purpose-built hotel using mini-splits is ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is the idea that the Thai hotel  industry is dominated by "large-capital purpose-built hotels".

The bulk of the "hotel" accommodation in Thailand is made up of small hotels and premises with separated or bungalow type buildings. There is a lot more to Thailand than a handful of cities.

I have a total of 16 air conditioners, all are Panasonic,  As follows    4 x 19 years old, 4 x 14 years old, 5 x 13 years old and 3 x 9 years old, apart from having to regas a few of the ones used the most, they have not had to have any repairs, and they all run as quietly as the day they were installed. Would I recommend Panasonic? of course. 

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

What is ridiculous is the idea that the Thai hotel  industry is dominated by "large-capital purpose-built hotels".

The bulk of the "hotel" accommodation in Thailand is made up of small hotels and premises with separated or bungalow type buildings. There is a lot more to Thailand than a handful of cities.

I was wrong to say most hotels. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

I have a total of 16 air conditioners, all are Panasonic,  As follows    4 x 19 years old, 4 x 14 years old, 5 x 13 years old and 3 x 9 years old, apart from having to regas a few of the ones used the most, they have not had to have any repairs, and they all run as quietly as the day they were installed. Would I recommend Panasonic? of course. 

Ok, Panasonic quality seems to be good - at least it was good > 10 years ago.

But did you ever think about replacing them with new inverter units to save energy?

It seems everybody who switches to inverter units pays a lot less for electricity.