Chiang Mai - renew car tax with online insurance documents only

skorts

I renewed my car insurance, first class and compulsory with Roojai for the third year running. This year all of my documents are on-line with no paper copies. 
What do I need to show the Transport Office drive through staff in relation to my insurance, to renew my car tax?
Last year I gave them the original hard copies of my insurance, they took them, reviewed them and handed them back to me. 

Edited by skorts
  • Like 1

Are you sure that the compulsory insurance papers won't also be sent to you by regular mail? Never heard of them being available only online. Usually the DLT tears off a part of it which they keep, and the remaining part is given back to us.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Are you sure that the compulsory insurance papers won't also be sent to you by regular mail? Never heard of them being available only online. Usually the DLT tears off a part of it which they keep, and the remaining part is given back to us.

Yes, that is what the DLT did before. I have not received anything by regular mail so think I will contact Roojai. Thanks for your prompt response. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skorts said:

Yes, that is what the DLT did before. I have not received anything by regular mail so think I will contact Roojai. Thanks for your prompt response. 

Same thing happened to me with Direct Asia a couple of months ago. Contacted them and they sent the documents by registered mail instead of regular post. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Same thing happened to me with Direct Asia a couple of months ago. Contacted them and they sent the documents by registered mail instead of regular post. 

Thanks for advising. There is a document “Download” facility on Roojai but not sure printing this off will be accepted by the DLT as the original certificate is embossed. There is a bar code in the section the DLT cut off and keep so maybe that is sufficient. A lot of things have gone on-line/digital since covid so maybe this is another example. 
I have sent Roojai a message and waiting to hear back from them. 

Will report back. 

Edited by skorts
  • Thanks 1

An update following a response from Roojai. They are going to send me hard copies of my policy documents in the mail. They did not respond to my question about me printing off the compulsory insurance certificate from their on-line system and handing that to the staff at the DLT office. 
So I will take the copy I print off, which has the bar code and tear off slip for the DLT office to keep and see if they accept it. 
I will also take the original hard copy sent by Roojai as a back up if they won’t accept the copy I give them. 
At least then I will know for future visits. 
What puzzles me is Roojai do everything on-line and have a document system where customers can download their own policy documents. 
The compulsory insurance certificate also has a bar code. 
Roojai only sent my policy documents by mail on request whereas in previous years they automatically sent them. 
if hard copies of the original compulsory insurance certificate is required by the DLT office for taxing the car then every customer needs Roojai to mail the original policy documents. 
I will provide an update in a few weeks time once an have been to the DLT office to renew my car tax. 

my car insurance is also with Roojai. I went with the copy to the DLT in BKK, no problem at all. Same procedure like with the original docs.

A friend who lives in phuket told me the same, his car also with Roojai

Edited by consulb
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update …. after requesting them I received my hard copy policy documents in the post from Roojai. I went to the car testing centre as my car is over 7 years old. They asked to see my Compulsory Insurance certificate. I gave them the copy I downloaded from the Roojai web site. Accepted and 4 mins check on car and certificate issued. Cost ฿200. 

Went to the local Chiang Mai DLT office car tax drive through and gave them my downloaded copy of the Compulsory Insurance certificate which was also accepted there. New tax disc issued within 5 mins. 
So next year I will print off my Compulsory Insurance certificate from the Roojai web site and not bother with asking them to send me the embossed original to me. 
I only requested it from Roojai as a back-up. 
Good to see things moving on-line as it saves on Insurers costs and also helps save a few trees along the way. 

• Like 1