Retirement visa v Tourist visa - pros and cons

I have lived in Pattaya for a few years on a retirement visa

I need to move back to the UK

Will probably visit Pattaya 3-4 times a year going forward

I could:

1. Keep my retirement visa. I use an agent to renew each year without me keeping the 800k in a Thai bank, so there is a cost to this

2. Apply for a 60 day tourist visa for each future visit. I think this can be done online now? Can be extended by 30 days when in Thailand I think?

What are the pros and cons of each option?

You mention 3-4 visits per year.

Important is how long is each stay.

The extension retirement would also require a multi reentry permit 3800baht. Then the cost of extension..

Obviously easy option.

Again depends on length of stay each visit. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You mention 3-4 visits per year.

Important is how long is each stay.

The extension retirement would also require a multi reentry permit 3800baht. Then the cost of extension..

Obviously easy option.

Again depends on length of stay each visit. 

I won't really know how many visits or visit durations until I get back to the UK....maybe a couple of months per visit a few times a year. 

Yes, this is a cost v hassle decision.

Keeping the retirement visa about 16k for the agent (I don't want to keep 800k in a thai bank) plus reentry permit.....but probably the most flexible/hassle free option.

Tourist visa lower cost, but maybe more hassle and less flexible?? I have never done anything apart from visa exempt on arrival before the retirement visa, so maybe the tourist visa is a pain in the butt to keep doing this every visit?? Or is this really pretty smooth nowadays?

2 minutes ago, danferguson said:

Tourist visa lower cost, but maybe more hassle and less flexible?? I have never done anything apart from visa exempt on arrival before the retirement visa, so maybe the tourist visa is a pain in the butt to keep doing this every visit?? Or is this really pretty smooth nowadays?

That's why I asked how long each visit.

Fully understand that will unfold in the future and you will decide what's suits you best.

Don't rule out visa exempt entry with extension. 1900baht. 

Also keep in mind that borders won't always be closed and a border bounce or even short visit somewhere is possible.

Tourist visas (for some) are taking longer and couple of USA friends this annual trip to Thailand came visa exempt. 

Maybe a Non-OA visa would be an option for you. It is valid for year from the day it issued and allows unlimited one year entries for that year and you can get a 2nd year out of it by doing a entry shortly before it expires and then a multiple re-entry permit to keep the last entry from it valid.

You can use funds in a UK bank to apply for it.

Info is here on the London embassy website at the bottom of this page. 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Resident Alien said:

If you want to keep the retirement extension, you must plan your stay in Thailand to be a few weeks before the 'permitted until date' each year.

That's a good point.

Have a mate that does what the OP is planning.

The only difference is that he maintains the 800k in bank all year, however as you point out is locked into returning (30 day window, longer at some offices)  prior to end of his extension. Not ideal.

On flip side just realized that with a reentry permit and annual extension he would never need worry about onward flight etc.

Hassle free in that regard. 

Edited by DrJack54

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Maybe a Non-OA visa would be an option for you. It is valid for year from the day it issued and allows unlimited one year entries for that year and you can get a 2nd year out of it by doing a entry shortly before it expires and then a multiple re-entry permit to keep the last entry from it valid.

You can use funds in a UK bank to apply for it.

Info is here on the London embassy website at the bottom of this page. 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

I already have a Non-O (retirement) visa, which does not have the insurance requirements of the OA (I believe)

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Also keep in mind that borders won't always be closed and a border bounce or even short visit somewhere is possible.

Tourist visas (for some) are taking longer and couple of USA friends this annual trip to Thailand came visa exempt. 

Good point - had not thought of that

Visa exempt is 30 days plus 30 extension, right?

Tourist visa is 60 plus 30 extension I believe?

10 minutes ago, danferguson said:

Correct on both accounts.

Keep in back of mind the border runs. Of course that will be in future when land borders are open. 

You are allowed 2 visa exempt land border entries per calendar year.

Each entry visa exempt can be extended by 30 days. 

Edited by DrJack54

39 minutes ago, danferguson said:

I already have a Non-O (retirement) visa, which does not have the insurance requirements of the OA (I believe)

It was only a suggestion to avoid being here to apply for a new extension and paying a agent to cover the 800k baht in the bank. Not sure what the insurance would cost but it could be less than the agent fee.

• Like 1

This is a little bit off topic, I apologize in advance. I have a friend living in the UK who is coming up to retirement, he wants to live 5 months Thailand, 7 months UK. Which is the best way to achieve this? He would be quite willing to spend one of those months living in Philippines. Thank you.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It was only a suggestion to avoid being here to apply for a new extension and paying a agent to cover the 800k baht in the bank. Not sure what the insurance would cost but it could be less than the agent fee.

Interesting. Did not know about that. 

4 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I have a friend living in the UK who is coming up to retirement, he wants to live 5 months Thailand, 7 months UK. Which is the best way to achieve this?

There are numerous ways to achieve that. 

Eventually land borders will open and that will make things simple to do what your friend is planning.

Even more so if can mix in some time outside of Thailand.

You mention Philippines. He could also consider Vietnam. Ripper joint.

The options are many and easy. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Pre Covid, I was making about 5 4-week trips to Thailand each year.

Initially, I was entering visa exempt, but that stopped after I was told by an IO to get a visa next time: visa exemption applied only to people making temporary visits. 

23 hours ago, danferguson said:

I recently got a 30 day extension to a 60 day tourist visa for 4,000 baht via an agent.  (To avoid going to Jomtien immigration and queuing for hours to get covid.) She told me I could have 60 days extension for 6,000 baht.  So that would make 4 months from an online tourist visa.

She also told me it would be 25,000 for a retirement visa, even with the 800,000 in the bank.

A problem not mentioned with the agent but no money in bank method is that if you annoy someone important, like the police trying to rip you off, all they have to do is check your bank records and file criminal charges.

• Confused 1

Ubon Joe.  I always find your reports very clear.  I shall return to UK in May this year after being in Thailand since August, 2019 due to Covid only.  I have the one year Retirement Non-O but at 77 years struggling to get Insurance I think maybe I should not do a re-entry permit and let the Non-O become 

void.  In England then, later in the year, I could do the 30 day Covid 19 tga.org and come back on Visa Exempt showing the Insurance cover for the length of my initial stay.  Once here then I have some of the options outlined in these postings.  What do you think ?  Thanks in anticipation

On 3/8/2022 at 10:02 AM, danferguson said:

Will probably visit Pattaya 3-4 times a year going forward

i did that for 15 years pre covid and am about to re-commence.

used VE and/or TR60.

no agent required very straightforward eg TR60 x 3-4 = 6-8 months (no IO/TM30 when no ext).

21 hours ago, JimboJ said:

I recently got a 30 day extension to a 60 day tourist visa for 4,000 baht via an agent.  (To avoid going to Jomtien immigration and queuing for hours to get covid.) She told me I could have 60 days extension for 6,000 baht.  So that would make 4 months from an online tourist visa.

She also told me it would be 25,000 for a retirement visa, even with the 800,000 in the bank.

A problem not mentioned with the agent but no money in bank method is that if you annoy someone important, like the police trying to rip you off, all they have to do is check your bank records and file criminal charges.

I did not know you could do the TV extensions - that could be a good option

A retirement visa THE FIRST TIME, is more expensive than renewing - multiple agents have told me that.

Not sure how I would annoy someone important?? I have lived here for 10 years without having any interaction with any authority. If my visa records were perfect, and I <deleted> someone off, they would find an excuse to go after me or anyone else anyway. Don't see this as an issue

1 hour ago, Bvor said:

i did that for 15 years pre covid and am about to re-commence.

used VE and/or TR60.

no agent required very straightforward eg TR60 x 3-4 = 6-8 months (no IO/TM30 when no ext).

What is VE and TR60?

IO? TM30?

I thought there was a limit on the number of Tourist Visas/months you could do in one year??

4 minutes ago, danferguson said:

What is VE and TR60?

IO? TM30?

I thought there was a limit on the number of Tourist Visas/months you could do in one year??

VE - visa exempt

TR60 - 60 day tourist visa

IO = immigration office/officer

TM30 = notification of address

i am unsure as to the legislation re maximum number of tourist visas per year.

i didn't do more then 3 per year but one year i did add an extension to give me total 7 months .

i did ask the perth thai consulate in australia some years ago and the bossman said he was not aware of any limit.

i would think that continual back to backs would be "scrutinised" as being non tourist.

but i wonder why not 4 per year - eg 2 months in and 1 month out?  

20 hours ago, Bvor said:

i am unsure as to the legislation re maximum number of tourist visas per year.

i didn't do more then 3 per year but one year i did add an extension to give me total 7 months .

i did ask the perth thai consulate in australia some years ago and the bossman said he was not aware of any limit.

i would think that continual back to backs would be "scrutinised" as being non tourist.

but i wonder why not 4 per year - eg 2 months in and 1 month out?  

Can any visa experts confirm this? ie what is the official limit on number of tourist visas you can do in 1 year?

And the maximum number of days allowed per year in Thailand under a tourist visa?

20 minutes ago, Bvor said:

on this forum ubon joe and dr jack 54 are very knowledgeable.

they may even respond to your post - if not PM one of them.

I agree on those 2 guys

i will let them reply in their own time if they choose - don't want to hassle with PM's

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, danferguson said:

Can any visa experts confirm this? ie what is the official limit on number of tourist visas you can do in 1 year?

And the maximum number of days allowed per year in Thailand under a tourist visa?

There is no written official limit.

The only limit is for visa exempt entries at land border crossing that is 2 per calendar year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, danferguson said:

i will let them reply in their own time if they choose

am curious myself as to the answer to your questions.

eg 3 per year with extensions - possible 9 months = 3 months in 1 month out

of course the infamous inconsistent IO interpretations can be a problem. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bvor said:

am curious myself as to the answer to your questions.

eg 3 per year with extensions - possible 9 months = 3 months in 1 month out

of course the infamous inconsistent IO interpretations can be a problem. 

I am checking with my visa agent for costs of tourist visa extensions. 

If it is 4-6k, then doing that 3 times is almost the same as renewing my retirement visa, and the retirement visa gives 12 months "certainty"

9 minutes ago, danferguson said:

I am checking with my visa agent for costs of tourist visa extensions. 

yeah we all have different situations.

for single me 3 TR60's per year= 2 month in 2 month out (4500B per year depend on exchange rate).

no extensions, minimal hassle.

9 minutes ago, Bvor said:

yeah we all have different situations.

for single me 3 TR60's per year= 2 month in 2 month out (4500B per year depend on exchange rate).

no extensions, minimal hassle.

How did you get the 4500
Is that the cost of an online tourist visa? ie 1500 Baht each time?