Married couple killed - motorcycle hit car at U-turn, Pajero runs over them

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on the tragic death of a married couple in Nakhon Pathom in central Thailand.

Mongkhol, 65, and his wife Klinphaka, 56, were on a Honda motorcycle when they clipped the back of a Honda City on the Malaimaen Road heading into town.

They came off and were run over by a Mitsubishi Pajero.

The driver of the Pajero named as Suphadech said he couldn't brake in time. He thought the driver of the motorcycle was trying to make a U-turn. 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Police investigations continue after the accident at 8 pm last night. 

Thai Rath described grisly injuries at the scene with a lot of blood after both victims suffered multiple injuries. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-08

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, JoePai said:

Happens all the time - he is one from early this morning (about 2.00am I think) in Udon Thai - 1 dead and 1 in ICU

Udon.jpg

Yeh but big difference here, no number on display for the lottery, at least the other one gave you 6868

I know the road well, the intersections are controlled with traffic lights, yet the infamous U-turn puts you into the fast lane until you can turn.

A major road and people go like a bat out of hell.

• Like 2

The widening of roads ie two lanes with a central reservation and two lanes the other way have increased the number of u-turns. The distance between u-turns forces motorcyclists to ride against the traffic flow to get to the nearest u-turn to cross over...... rather than riding 1 km down the road to the next u-turn...... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Humpy said:

The widening of roads ie two lanes with a central reservation and two lanes the other way have increased the number of u-turns. The distance between u-turns forces motorcyclists to ride against the traffic flow to get to the nearest u-turn to cross over...... rather than riding 1 km down the road to the next u-turn...... 

Coz they are suicidal morons

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, billd766 said:

IMHO if the Pajero driver could not brake in time he was travelling far too closely and far too fast.

No, I wasn't there.

Commonsense tells me that the Pajero had no reaction space, no braking space either and he was probably tailgating as well. Although he didn't cause the original accident, again IMHO he was the direct cause of the 2 motorcyclist unnecessary deaths.

I’m not so sure. 

The motorcyclist is reported to have ‘clipped’ the back of a Honda city, perhaps this made them fall into the path of the Pajero. 

It seems like a terrible misjudgement by the motorcyclist - If the accident happens as it seems to have been described the Pajero driver cannot be blamed for simply driving in his lane and passing another car. 

Sometimes accidents are utterly unavoidable, this may have been one such case for the Pajero driver and a reason for all of us to have dash-cams. 

--------

I’ve had motorcycles ’swing into my lane’ and misjudging the gap they have, I’ve clipped them with my front bumper but fortunately reacted quickly and just enough not to cause the motorcyclist to fall - two events, both not my fault for going too fast or too close to anything. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

20 years ago - in the back of a song taew, on Sukhumvit, cruising towards Sattahip - suddenly driver braked very hard, & partner & I hit back of the cab hard, hard enough to cause bruising. Driver stopped, got out and apologised profusely.

A motorbike in the left lane suddenly crossed the whole road when he saw the U turn ahead - it was all the song taew driver could do to avoid the bike, & not make him (presumably on gender) into minced moron - like OP.

If you are in a song taew, sit close behind the cab, if possible.

Edited by DekDaeng

The story is not clear weather the City was making a U turn but My take, Honda City making/waiting to take U turn, M/C decides to go around on the inside to be next to or get in front, as they do constantly, maybe even sees the Pajero coming, to late and clips the Honda City. Or just decided to go across all lanes to make a U turn as they also constantly do.

• Like 1