While gas prices and vegetable costs are rising dramatically media keeps bombing us with Tangmo

drronnie

Choose your media visely, and you might have to go through some paywalls to get quality news which can stimulate your brain (dependes on your capacity to understand and absorb quality news and also be able to read more than the headlines), in the meantime it seems you get triggered by click baites instead, and do not see the forrest because of trees. 

Veggies are locally grown for us. 

Some other stuff will go up because of vehicle fuel costs.

Fuels been higher than it is now some years back. 

It's still a very low cost of living here. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drronnie said:

Talking to average Thai people they are struggling 

In my experience not average I would say it's the working class self employed that struggle and many just rely on the 800 baht a month from the gov.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

It really depends a lot on the person himself/herself. I mean i started cooking for myself again (weight reasons not money reasons). My cost went down dramatically. It also depends on what you eat and want to eat, if you want imported Western stuff then you can be in for a shock. 

Some stuff will get a lot more expensive like bread and so on. I eat a lot of oats, the price will probably go up but given that its now 60bt a package that lasts me for over a week im not too worried ????.

But for some people who are already struggling it might be a problem. Some guys have to fund extended families and such. 

I agree with your view point. 

As an individual with just my wife and her family next door in a village living cost increases for me over the 16 years I've been here I  have not been noticing much except diesel and petrol and that's always gone up and down over the years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drronnie said:

Talking to average Thai people they are struggling 

Doubt they'll struggle, more likely just to borrow more and increase debt.

Thais seem to have no problem with being in debt.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hummin said:

Choose your media visely, and you might have to go through some paywalls to get quality news which can stimulate your brain (dependes on your capacity to understand and absorb quality news and also be able to read more than the headlines), in the meantime it seems you get triggered by click baites instead, and do not see the forrest because of trees. 

Actually my capacity to understand and absorb quality news is precisely the reason I have started only reading the headlines.

Seriously, how much more detail do I need to know about the ukraine war, Covid, authoritarian regimes bent on expanionism, class warfare, wealth disparity, food insecurity, declining water supplies, climate disasters, supply chain failures, moronic politicians, species extinction, dying oceans, polluted air, stupid people doing stupid things for stupid reasons ad nauseum, etc. ?

I can follow the world train wreck unfolding in slow motion just fine by reading only the headlines.

Those who want to know all the excruciating details probably think that there is some hope left for humanity or maybe someplace to hide.

I don't.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Actually my capacity to understand and absorb quality news is precisely the reason I have started only reading the headlines.

Seriously, how much more detail do I need to know about the ukraine war, Covid, authoritarian regimes bent on expanionism, class warfare, wealth disparity, food insecurity, declining water supplies, climate disasters, supply chain failures, moronic politicians, species extinction, dying oceans, polluted air, stupid people doing stupid things for stupid reasons ad nauseum, etc. ?

I can follow the world train wreck unfolding in slow motion just fine by reading only the headlines.

Those who want to know all the excruciating details probably think that there is some hope left for humanity or maybe someplace to hide.

I don't.

Fair enough, but out of curiosity maybe, and you might find answers to your question you posted among more complicated issues you have.

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Fair enough, but out of curiosity maybe, and you might find answers to your question you posted among more complicated issues you have.

Answers to what? The only way things will change is for humanity to change in fundamental ways. That's not gonna happen.

Besides that, we're well beyond the tipping point on some of those existential threats.

Hope is good. Hold onto it as long as you can, but realize that hope is not a plan.

BTW, these complicated issues are what we all have whether we know it or not.

14 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Answers to what? The only way things will change is for humanity to change in fundamental ways. That's not gonna happen.

Besides that, we're well beyond the tipping point on some of those existential threats.

Hope is good. Hold onto it as long as you can, but realize that hope is not a plan.

BTW, these complicated issues are what we all have whether we know it or not.

I live today, and die tomorow! No worries at all. I'm passed my tests and survived my youth, so I'm good, but still thirsty on knowledge, if not I would die if I did not try to use my brain and read, and also try to learn something new I did not know from before every day! 

Right now been to much on AN since the war started, and writing to much in to many treads. 

9 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Depends what you do...

And what you don't do.

Cooking gas and Noodles went up today according to my wife.

That's a big deal to most Thais.

Luckily Pizza Company has a 2 for 1 deal.

behind this media bombing might be dissatisfaction with the police, military, government and the whole set up.

Just they can't say it that openly because of censorship and self-censorship.

If police botched on purpose this investigation, if it was homicide, if big person involved and big money payed, it would have back clash from a large part of society.

Good on thai media, if they started some investigative journalism. That's a good start now

The sea freight mafia started imported price increases about 18 months ago when

cost of sea freight went up 130% in 3 months.

The idiot knumbskull Putin is doing the rest.

Fuel prices will double as will imorted products from 1 year ago

On 3/9/2022 at 8:10 AM, Kwasaki said:

Veggies are locally grown for us. 

Some other stuff will go up because of vehicle fuel costs.

Fuels been higher than it is now some years back. 

It's still a very low cost of living here. 

At 23 km/lt I can take a lot more pain at the pump and it doesn't really effect me.
Veggie prices?  <laughs>  My wife has these kilo sacks of lettuce and cilantro she bought for 10 THB - wow - expensive! Prices in the wet market haven't increased enough for me to notice.  Local veggies are still dirt cheap imho.  We'll put in a larger garden this year so I'm sure to have the veggies I want, and you can barter the excess and it's still cheap.  Fruits are seasonal and we always seem to have something or the other ripening.  We seem to have papaya year round.  "But fertilizer!!!  Yeah?  I've got about a ton of compost that we've been building over the years.  Ox poop is still cheap.  Then learn how to rotate your crops. 

Personally I'm not worried about raising prices. Governments are going to need to worry about raising prices because the out-of-control prices are going to be a problem for the Thai masses, most of who are debt slaves.  That causes social unrest and calls for significant change.  ????  Hummmm.

In the meantime......Grab some popcorn and root for your favorite team.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, robblok said:

... I mean i started cooking for myself again (weight reasons not money reasons). My cost went down dramatically. ...

I have exactly the opposite experience. We cook a lot at home, we prefer it but it's definitely more expensive than buying take-away food. Of course, if compared to eating in pricey restaurants, then there will be a saving.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

The sea freight mafia started imported price increases about 18 months ago when

cost of sea freight went up 130% in 3 months.

The idiot knumbskull Putin is doing the rest.

Fuel prices will double as will imorted products from 1 year ago

Putin's (re)actions are despicable, but the increase in prices is not directly due to him it's due to the sanctions imposed by the West. We haven't had a full taste yet of the ramifications.

And as you say part of the increase is (mafia or not) pre-war and it has to do with the costs of shipping during Covid. Double-whammer.

14 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

And what you don't do.

Cooking gas and Noodles went up today according to my wife.

That's a big deal to most Thais.

Luckily Pizza Company has a 2 for 1 deal.

Gotta love their colorful 3D printed pizza. The red and yellow paint makes it look almost real.