Ever Eaten Lotus?

I swear I tried it in Vietnam about three years ago and it was quite nice, but I bought a bunch of these strange conical pods yesterday for 10bt and the seeds embedded in the stringy flesh tasted like battery acid.

One of the cones was brown and withered so maybe I had a duff bunch?

Either way, not trying that again, it's going straight in the bin with the durian and that oversized, bland, pithy relative of the grapefruit. :o

My wife cooks them in soups and stews. Pretty bland if eaten on their own. She seems to think there's a cure for everything - I'm sure the lotus cones cure something but can't remember what (so can't be the memory). :o

She also harvests the stalks and cooks them after taking the stringy bits off.

The cones seem to feature in a few Cantonese dishes in HK also.

I swear I tried it in Vietnam about three years ago and it was quite nice, but I bought a bunch of these strange conical pods yesterday for 10bt and the seeds embedded in the stringy flesh tasted like battery acid.

:o Did you eat it raw? I eat it all the time in soups cooked with pork ribs but the seeds are removed. Also found as filling in all those "mooncakes" :D

:o Did you eat it raw? I eat it all the time in soups cooked with pork ribs but the seeds are removed. Also found as filling in all those "mooncakes" :D

reminds me at the conversation a while ago about removing strawberry seeds. :D

One of the cones was brown and withered so maybe I had a duff bunch?

Either way, not trying that again, it's going straight in the bin with the durian and that oversized, bland, pithy relative of the grapefruit. :D

Eat em all the time. Delicious nutty flavour.

Looks like you didn't peel the seeds or you would probably have enjoyed them. :D:o