Critics blast government petrol policies

webfact

screenshot_17036.jpg

By Erich Parpart

Critics of the government said on Friday that the administration should lower public transport fares to help lower income people instead of suggesting outdated ideas on how to cope with rising oil prices.

“Why is it that the leader of the country can only think of outdated ideas,” said Kritsada Tontherdthit, Pheu Thai’s member of parliament for Nong Khai and former deputy secretary-general of the Federation of Thai Industries said.

Kritsada cites recent government suggestions on fixing the oil crisis including asking people to only use their private cars when necessary, clean their air filters, or use public buses.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/38487/critics-blast-government-petrol-policies/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-03-12

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

Petrol prices should be subject to the forces of the World Market prices.

This will reduce the amount used naturally through less use bought about by cost.

Diesel, however should be subsidized to Logistics Companies and Business users only to move the Countries Goods and Food in order to help reduce Inflation.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

And what about the poor farmers/low skilled, living on less than 500 Baht a week and struggling to survive?  Your solution is to subsidize the very people who can afford to pay and leave those who can least afford to pay to struggle? 

I dont know where you get living on 500 Baht a WEEK from.

Man ! thats only 71.4 Baht a Day

Even the trash pickers going through the Waste Bins for Recyclable stuff like Plastic make way more than that every week

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

“Why is it that the leader of the country can only think of outdated ideas,” said Kritsada Tontherdthit

.....the owner and driver of V8 twin supercharged petrol engined 4 x 4.

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 12.44.16.jpg

Edited by Will B Good
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Kritsada cites recent government suggestions on fixing the oil crisis including asking people to only use their private cars when necessary, clean their air filters, or use public buses.

It's an outdated idea to lower consumption? What Kritsada is recommending (free bus rides) is just an incentive in that direction, but it's the same direction. As would have been a ban on cars on the roads that have less than 4 people in them, for instance (I know, lousy idea in COVID times), or a Singapore-like tax on vehicles.

Cleaning and servicing aircons so they use less power... how is that a bad idea? Not making unnecessary trips or use public transport when necessary resolves more than just high gas prices.

I'd like to see Kritsada write all the proposals that will definitely have a positive effect. Come on, genius - let's hear them!

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

One new idea is to form a group of professionals dedicated to stopping Thai drivers wasting the nation's fuel  through excessive speed and poorly maintained vehicles.  This could easily be achieved by the use of CCTV cameras.  The new force could be given brown uniforms and the power to arrest offenders.

For a minute there, I thought you were serious ????????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mikebell said:

One new idea is to form a group of professionals dedicated to stopping Thai drivers wasting the nation's fuel  through excessive speed and poorly maintained vehicles.  This could easily be achieved by the use of CCTV cameras.  The new force could be given brown uniforms and the power to arrest offenders.

Good one.

I thought you were going to mention the god awful traffic & traffic management (RTP) in Bangkok.

How much petrol is wasted and fumes produced when waiting 3-5 minutes, on average, for the lights to change for 30 seconds? There are junctions near me where I know it will take me 10-20 minutes to get through a 200m queue, sitting through 2-3 light changes before I can make it.

How much congestion is created when they deliberately make bottlenecks around expressway junctions, maniacally waving you off the main expressway onto the entrance ramp to rejoin... the main expressway. Because, well, it's free space isn't it...

My personal record for a 'normal' junction on a timer is 399 seconds (perhaps 400+ would cause a system failure ????). Absolutely ridiculous.

I have been stuck at Asok junction for over 20 minutes with no light change when heavily congested.

Unfortunately, I don't live near a mass transit system, so like many, do not have much choice in transport.

It's good to see much current activity in Bangkok on extending mass transit systems, this has come at least 10 years delayed though, when you consider the BTS opened in 1999 and the subway in 2004. 

On 3/12/2022 at 1:12 PM, mikebell said:

Maybe they could also walk next-door  to visit the neighbours instead of riding the motorcycle  the 10 metres

The oil industry must be the only business where price-fixing is not a crime. The greedy producers get away with coordinated supply cuts when the cost per barrel gets too low, then increase supply when prices are through the roof. It's a scam, alright, and they've got us little people over a barrel... pun intended. 

On 3/12/2022 at 10:20 AM, Cake Monster said:

Petrol prices should be subject to the forces of the World Market prices.

This will reduce the amount used naturally through less use bought about by cost.

Diesel, however should be subsidized to Logistics Companies and Business users only to move the Countries Goods and Food in order to help reduce Inflation.

But that would leave Idiots like my BIL upset as he has just bought a brand new Crew Cab Black Pick-Up with 'Go Fast Stripes' on the sides.    Me...''Why do you need that when you are both retired and only go shopping once a week '' ?  Him....  '' Makes me look big and strong''.   Well; he is only about 5'5' after all and has to have a cushion on the seat !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2022 at 3:43 PM, Andycoops said:

Because it's always everyone else's fault and they take no responsibility or have any accountability for their actions.

Dinosaurs.

Exactly. That's what dinosaurs do. 

Washed in tradition that benefits their own kind.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 10:51 AM, Cake Monster said:

Even the trash pickers going through the Waste Bins for Recyclable stuff like Plastic make way more than that every week

The Covid- 19 pandemic has created mass unemployment in Thailand and other places.

My Thai son regularly tells me about his buddies and other folks who have reached a point where they cannot make payments of more than a couple of hundred Baht on their mortgage (if the bank will accept it). Their cars have been repossessed, they are months being in payments for school fees and kids wearing old worn out school uniforms and shoes over 2 years and more, etc., etc.

Some have sold their cars (at a poor price) and bought second hand motorcycles, some so that they can go to places every day where they can collect bush vegetables etc. Some have reduced their meat intake to a couple of slices per person of the typical cheap CP packaged 'hot dogs'.

One of sons' buddies is very serious about his kids having milk. They have 3 kids, they open 2 of the free small school milk packs every morning and pour into a jar then add equal amount of water. His 3 kids share this over 2 days. 

500Baht a day for a family may well be true. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/12/2022 at 10:51 AM, Cake Monster said:

Waaaaay more than that ya reckon? 

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

The Covid- 19 pandemic has created mass unemployment in Thailand and other places.

My Thai son regularly tells me about his buddies and other folks who have reached a point where they cannot make payments of more than a couple of hundred Baht on their mortgage (if the bank will accept it). Their cars have been repossessed, they are months being in payments for school fees and kids wearing old worn out school uniforms and shoes over 2 years and more, etc., etc.

Some have sold their cars (at a poor price) and bought second hand motorcycles, some so that they can go to places every day where they can collect bush vegetables etc. Some have reduced their meat intake to a couple of slices per person of the typical cheap CP packaged 'hot dogs'.

One of sons' buddies is very serious about his kids having milk. They have 3 kids, they open 2 of the free small school milk packs every morning and pour into a jar then add equal amount of water. His 3 kids share this over 2 days. 

500Baht a day for a family may well be true. 

Whilst I can kind of sympathize with these Folk, its all the classic case of irresponsible lending, and equally irresponsible borrowing.

Maybe its not all the borrowers fault that the picture you paint is so dire, the Government with all the stimulus plans to keep the Economy ticking over during the Covid Crisis have a huge part to play in the demise of the people such as these.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 4:54 PM, tomazbodner said:

It's an outdated idea to lower consumption? What Kritsada is recommending (free bus rides) is just an incentive in that direction, but it's the same direction. As would have been a ban on cars on the roads that have less than 4 people in them, for instance (I know, lousy idea in COVID times), or a Singapore-like tax on vehicles.

Cleaning and servicing aircons so they use less power... how is that a bad idea? Not making unnecessary trips or use public transport when necessary resolves more than just high gas prices.

I'd like to see Kritsada write all the proposals that will definitely have a positive effect. Come on, genius - let's hear them!

Buy a push bike