Accounting/finance Employment Opportunities?

Well..hello!

I'm wondering is it diffucult to settle a job within finance/accounting fields here in Thailand? I'm not talking about company transfer etc, but about finding a job from the overseas! I've heard it's not an easy thing for someone with accounting experience?

What would be my chances,if I'm native Russian, 24 yrs;international accounting major;currently ACCA 2-nd level student;speak russian,english,mandarind and basic cantonese; have professional work experience both in my home country and 2 yrs> in China & Hong Kong?

Any comments guys!

There is not really an expat focused job site, due to their being few expat jobs advertised, in 3 years here I have had 6 Expat jobs (I run a recruitment company) and its not really something we search for. You tend to be over there, and the job is over here, if you are serious about working here, yes there are jobs, but in all reality, they are not going to be advertised, therfore you need to be over here, network, mingle, walk the streets looking for company names you know, attend Chamber of Commece events, join a social / golf / toastmasters club, put yourself out there. Give yourself a good 3 months, (6 would be better) and you might get something.

If you sit at home, sending CV's, wanting a comparable wage as to what you are on now, school fees / accomodation / flights / and other expat benefits, good luck cause your going to need it, yes and any Thai language skills would be a benefit, not to work, but it shows your potential employer your serious about working here

hope that helps

There is not really an expat focused job site, due to their being few expat jobs advertised, in 3 years here I have had 6 Expat jobs (I run a recruitment company) and its not really something we search for. You tend to be over there, and the job is over here, if you are serious about working here, yes there are jobs, but in all reality, they are not going to be advertised, therfore you need to be over here, network, mingle, walk the streets looking for company names you know, attend Chamber of Commece events, join a social / golf / toastmasters club, put yourself out there. Give yourself a good 3 months, (6 would be better) and you might get something.

Thx for your reply.

I want to land a job before coming to Thailand, is it possible somehow or the chances're low?

Any other comments which direction to move?

Thx for your reply.

I want to land a job before coming to Thailand, is it possible somehow or the chances're low?

Any other comments which direction to move?

I think it is possible but the odds are not in our favor, as the previous poster said, being on the ground in Thailand greatly enhances your chances.From the employers perspective we are most likely just another farang who took a holiday in Thailand met a bargirl and now wants to extend the holiday There are thousands of guys like you and me shooting off resumes from our homes in the western world hoping for just that, but unless you really have a skill that can't be found elsewhere the guy on the ground is going to beat us every time. It's a big gamble to give up your life here and go for that, one I haven't been prepared to take yet.

Most accounting related jobs in Thailand require Thai citizens that have graduated from a Thai university to be legally able to "sign off" on accounts and taxation / government related paperwork. Hence, the jobs are few and far between for expats in this area.

A possible strategy for you would be to seek out companies in Russia that have operations in Thailand, and see if they would be willing to hire you and post you here as a Director of Finance, etc. this would ensure that you have a job lined up here before you arrive, and smooth out the path to a visa, work permit, etc.

I think it is possible but the odds are not in our favor, as the previous poster said, being on the ground in Thailand greatly enhances your chances.From the employers perspective we are most likely just another farang who took a holiday in Thailand met a bargirl and now wants to extend the holiday

It's not about me :D

There are thousands of guys like you and me shooting off resumes from our homes in the western world hoping for just that, but unless you really have a skill that can't be found elsewhere the guy on the ground is going to beat us every time. It's a big gamble to give up your life here and go for that, one I haven't been prepared to take yet.

Actually,I'm not from the Western world - I'm in China :o

It's a kind of risk, quit your job, come to Thailand & looking for a job on the spot...I'm not ready for such step!

Most accounting related jobs in Thailand require Thai citizens that have graduated from a Thai university to be legally able to "sign off" on accounts and taxation / government related paperwork. Hence, the jobs are few and far between for expats in this area.

A possible strategy for you would be to seek out companies in Russia that have operations in Thailand, and see if they would be willing to hire you and post you here as a Director of Finance, etc. this would ensure that you have a job lined up here before you arrive, and smooth out the path to a visa, work permit, etc.

I think just few Russian companies operating here in Thailand. In addition, I don't want to join them,as they can't offer much (career progress, challenging tasks, remuneration package) - russian companies are from different world!

Director of Finance - sounds a little bit earlier for a 24 yrs.old specilaist :o Anyway,I would agree!!!

I noticed after I posted that you are in HK now. This might be more advantageous in terms of finding a company with operations in Thailand.

Having said that- finding any company in any country that is willing to locate you here will be the way to go, and will net you the best position / salary / benefits etc.... what we call the "expat package".

Also, you may find that your young age will make it more difficult to find the job you want, because Accounting and Finance is one field where Thai companies prefer someone older with a proven track record / history instead of someone young and "inexperienced". Not trying to discourage you... give it your best shot, because if you don't ask, the answer is always "no"!