what is this tax form?

59 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

It is a tax report form for next year, just ignore it unless you can complete it yourself to report next year. I always ignore it and go to the Revenue Office to do my report for refunding tax paid. 

Thanks, as I dont pay any tax the bin it is then

You received the PND-90 Thai Income Tax Return because you (or someone on your behalf) probably filed one last year to reclaim your tax withheld on interest earned.  That's normal, it's just what the Thai Revenue Department does.  If you don't plan to file a PND-90 this year, they won't send it to you next year.

If, however, you do plan to reclaim tax withheld on interest earned this year then I have the following suggestions:

1) Go to your Thai banks at which you have savings accounts and have them register (associate) your Thai Tax ID with your savings accounts at that bank.  The purpose of doing this is that if you have a Thai Tax ID associated with your savings account they won't start withholding tax (at 15% rate) from the first baht of interest earned but only after you have earned 20,000 baht.  For many people this means that no tax will be withheld and therefore you won't have to ever file a Thai Income Tax Return (PND-90) to reclaim that tax.  Note that this does not work for fixed deposit accounts, those accounts will always have tax withheld on interest earned.  This suggestion is only for regular savings accounts, e.g., Krungsri Bank's Mee Tae Dai Savings account.

2) Consider filing your Thai Income Tax Return (PND-90) online.  This is not for everyone.  If you enjoy doing puzzles you might enjoy this.  Because everything is in Thai it is a bit challenging if you do not understand Thai, but it is possible.  This is what I do every year.  

First, I use Google Chrome browser with translation from Thai to English turned on.  Second, I use Google Lens app on my smartphone to translate Thai into English for things that the browser doesn't do (e.g., text on buttons).  This is the website to file your PND-90 online:

https://efiling.rd.go.th/rd-cms/

The actual form is pretty easy to fill out.  Remember that you are basically entering the amount of tax withheld by your banks.  Assuming you are only filing to reclaim interest (because you don't own any other taxes) then you will be getting a refund equal to the amount of tax withheld.  After submitting you will be getting a check in the mail in about 3-4 weeks.

3) Go to your local Thai Revenue Department.  They will help you fill out (or more likely do it themselves) a PND-90 Income Tax Return.  Again, it's a fairly simple return where you basically just fill in the tax withheld for interest earned.  They will likely give you a copy of your return but if they don't ask for one.  You can use this return as a model to fill out your return next year (only the amount of tax withheld will likely change), and you will be in a position to do your own tax return next year.

Thanks, I did all that last year and eventually the bank stopped charging the tax and after 6 months got the rebate. I still am not sure if they started charging tax on under 20k interest a year for all customers or just for foreigners, mrs never seems to get any tax on her savings. I assume you don't have to do this every year or they start deducting tax again?

38 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Thanks, I did all that last year and eventually the bank stopped charging the tax and after 6 months got the rebate. I still am not sure if they started charging tax on under 20k interest a year for all customers or just for foreigners, mrs never seems to get any tax on her savings. I assume you don't have to do this every year or they start deducting tax again?

You only need do it once.  Foreigners need to do it because they open accounts using their passports, while Thais use their National ID numbers which are their Tax ID Numbers.

• Like 1