Cabinet approves two-year extension for legal workers from neighbouring countries

snoop1130

6BE7BFE4-A8E9-4990-ABDF-DDAE0082E94C.jpeg

The Thai cabinet agreed today (Tuesday) to allow legal migrant workers from Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos, who have been working in Thailand for four years, to stay for another two years after the expiry of their work permits.

The government signed a memorandum of understanding on labour cooperation with the governments of the three countries, under which a certain number of their nationals are allowed to work legally in Thailand for four years.

There are 54,236 workers from Myanmar, 26,840 workers from Cambodia and 25,504 workers from the Lao PDR in Thailand under the employment program that would end in 2022.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cabinet-approves-two-year-extension-for-legal-workers-from-neighbouring-countries/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-03-15

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still more paperwork must be done.  The MOU says they will receive a 2 year extension when they apply upon the current expiration of their extension of stay, However, every time we do my housekeepers paperwork and use the system in place she only gets 1 year.  Each time they want money for this, money for that etc....it is not the simple 1900 baht you and I pay for our annual extensions.  Add in the time needed to be off of work, unpaid for many, to wait in que etc....so screwed up.  Even hiring an agent still entails trips to the Employment office, the hospital for a physical and then at least one back and forth to the agents office to pick up the paperwork.  Cheap labour, and still taking money from them.  My housekeeper. even my GF from Myanmar, both have to do 90 day reports as well.  Luckily the new system allows for them to do it online, which I do for them, so they do not miss a half day of work, and of course I also pay the fees as the employer for my housekeeper when many do not.

• Like 1