Where Can An Undergrad Teach?

MuayThaiPunchingBag

What the OP really should be considering is finishing his education and thereny making himself representative of the teachers the Kingdom claims to want. As things stand now, he is the very profile of the person that all the rule changes have tried to eradicate from Thailand.

I've read the very profile are the fly by night backpackers who are looking to make a few bucks to pay off their bills before they move on to the next country, the teachers who care less about teaching and the students, and who only want a paycheck.

I am none of those things; I'm a hard worker, intent on staying a long time and doing a good job at what I do.

What is with your insistence on constant derision and belittlement? I'd like to see a source on that statement that private tutoring for cash is illegal in Thailand, do you have a source or site that states that in any way, or is just a "hunch?"

I have a feeling your ego is getting in the way, and you can't admit you're wrong...but I'm willing to admit I am if someone credible or credible sources are presented to back up your answer. I doubt they will be forthcoming though.

You have got it wrong in all regards. I am trying to tell you that you can not work here legally, period. You seem to not be hearing that. The government is cracking down on teachers. It would seem to only be the start. I could put up the threads of the guys doing time in the immigration prison, but I think maybe you wouldn't grasp the meaining of that either.

What the OP really should be considering is finishing his education and thereny making himself representative of the teachers the Kingdom claims to want. As things stand now, he is the very profile of the person that all the rule changes have tried to eradicate from Thailand.

I've read the very profile are the fly by night backpackers who are looking to make a few bucks to pay off their bills before they move on to the next country, the teachers who care less about teaching and the students, and who only want a paycheck.

I am none of those things; I'm a hard worker, intent on staying a long time and doing a good job at what I do.

What is with your insistence on constant derision and belittlement? I'd like to see a source on that statement that private tutoring for cash is illegal in Thailand, do you have a source or site that states that in any way, or is just a "hunch?"

I have a feeling your ego is getting in the way, and you can't admit you're wrong...but I'm willing to admit I am if someone credible or credible sources are presented to back up your answer. I doubt they will be forthcoming though.

Read up on 'working in Thailand'

To work in Thailand you MUST have a work permit. Thailand regards work in very liberal terms which would include working without pay. You cannot get a work permit without a non-immigrant visa. You do NOT qualify for a work permit for various reasons when attempting to do tutoring <on your own>.

Again, just because you want to do something ... does not mean that you can, should or will be able to legally.

http://www.thaivisa.com/work-permit/new-wo....-may-2002.html

Wednesday, 18 October 2006

In May 2002, the Department of Employment has announced with approval from the Minister of Labour and Social Welfare the new Procedure Order governing criteria and condition for expatriate's work permit approval. This new procedure order revises the old regulations governing work permit approval, renewal and modification of employment descriptions or locations of a workplace.

According to the procedure order, the permit may be granted to an expatriate who has the qualification according to one of these conditions:

1. Working for an establishment with a registered capital of at least 2,000,000 Baht. One expatriate can be hired for every 2,000,000 Baht of capital but not more than 10 expatriates.

Supported Document:

The Certificate of juristic person registration with a fully paid-up capital not less than 2,000,000 Baht and a copy of the list of shareholders (Form Bor-Or-Jor 5).

Financial statement with an initial working capital not less than 2,000,000 Baht certified by a certified auditor And after deduction of debts, loans and other expenses, the establishment must have assets as cash or bank deposit not less than 2,000,000 Baht.

Account transaction to proof cash transacting in the bank for business transaction in the amount not less than 2,000,000 Baht.

2. Working in an establishment, which has already paid income tax for juristic company to the Revenue Department in the past 3 years not less than 5,000,000 Baht. For every 5,000,000 Baht tax payment is allowed to hire 1 expatriate.

Supported Document:

Form of tax payment on juristic person (Por Nkor Dor 91) and the receipt from the Revenue Department

3. Working for an establishment, which engages in export business and remit foreign currency of at least the equivalent of 3,000,000 Baht last year. For every 3,000,000 Baht, an establishment is allowed to hire 1 expatriate but not more than 3 expatriates.

Supported Document:

A copy of Bill of Lading submitted to the Custom Department stating the total value of export goods.

4. Working in an establishment, which employs 50 Thai employees. An establishment is allowed to hire 1 expatriate for every 50 Thai employees but not more than 5 expatriates in total.

Supported Document:

The proof of payment paid toward the Social Security Fund.

5. An expatriate having an income and duty to pay personal income tax to the Revenue Department of equivalent or more than 18,000 Baht, or already paid personal income tax in the past year of equivalent or more than 18,000 Baht.

Supported Document:

If an expatriate has never worked in the Kingdom, he must provide the employment contract to the officer in order to estimate an expatriate's ability to pay such tax. Accordingly, in the case of single expatriates, he must have personal income of at least 30,000 Baht, and in the case of married expatriate, he must have personal income of at least 45,000 Baht per month.

If an expatriate used to have the permit, he must present proof of personal income tax payment of equivalent or more than 18,000 Baht along with a receipt from the Revenue Department.

Moreover, the Authorized Officers, on reasonable grounds, may consider work permit approval, renewal, and modification of employment descriptions and positions or locations of workplace regardless of restrictions on the number of expatriates stated above, if the work falls under the followings:

1. Representative office conducting quality control, procurement, or marketing research.

Supported Document:

The Business Operation License according to the Foreign Business Operations Act B.E. 2542 (2002).

2. The work in investment consulting, administrative consulting, technical and technology, or periodical internal audit.

Supported Document:

Consulting contract with both parties' official seals.

3. Tourism representatives who bring in foreigners to travel in Thailand.

Supported Document:

Tourist agent permit issued by Thai Tourism Authority.

4. International financial institutions approved by the Bank of Thailand.

5. Temporary business of entertainment, religious, social welfare, cultural or sporting without intention to make profit and paying income tax to the government.

6. Working as a contractor on projects with the governmental bodies or state enterprises.

Supported Document:

A supporting letter stating the number of expatriates, expatriate's names and positions.

7. Work using mostly local raw material as an essential component in the production process or work that can reduce the use of imported raw material.

8. Work supporting export of Thai products.

9. Work, which brings new technology, which Thai people are not capable of, in order to distribute and transfer to Thai people.

10. Work in the area where there is a shortage of Thai labour.

11. Having a residency in the Kingdom.

Supported Document:

A resident permit or certificate of foreigners.

12. Being a married couple with Thai citizen, with legally married registration, publicly cohabiting as husband and wife, and with a legal profession, which is socially respectable.

Conclusion:

Compared to the former regulations concerning work permits, most people found that these new conditions sound too good to be true. However, based on our experiences, we have proved that in the real practice these new conditions do exist. Receiving work permits is a very major concern for every business. The more options for work permit are available, the more sensible and effective approaches are to be utilized.

Congratulations on again not answering the question in a credible manner. That is information on getting a work visa, I know I cannot as a private tutor. Do you have any sources that working as a tutor is illegal? Or would you like to spout off another long list of information that has no merit or basis with regards to the question asked? I'm patiently waiting.

I am sure you are but the it isn't up to us to let you work, the law in Thailand is very specific and the changes in visa and long stay here have tightened up dramatically. Immigration law is strict and unless you are willing to risk being arrested, fined, and jailed or deported for doing illegal work you need to understand and abide by the law

It is not a hunch. Thail law very clearly states that any activity which by virtue of it nature could be construed as being work, irrespective of whether payment is may or not is work. Unless the person performing this activity has a valid visa and work permit they are breaking the law and liable for prosecution. To put this in context the volunteers who helped in the aftermath of the tsunami were warned by the then minister for labour that they were breaking the law and could be fined or deported. The then PM Taksin immediately jumped in and over ruled this by saying in the context of the emergency any assistance from volunteers was appreciated and no one would be prosecuted. However as soon as the immediate threat had be passed there were volunteers who were politely but firmly told to stop or to get the proper documents.

I don't think ego is in any way involved in Lannarebirth's response to you - at least not the way I read his posts over a long period of time. If you want the law explained to you and how it affects you seeking work here in Thailand I strongly suggest you seek proper qualified legal advice. We can make suggestion and offer our personal insights from experience in living here but if you choose to ignore it then do so by your own choice.

I have decided that I have nothing further to add to this conversation and will take no further part in it. I wish you well in the future but please don't break the law and risk ruining the chances of coming back here after you go back to University and finish your degree. That done you will find it much easier to find a legal and better paid job as a teacher.

Good luck

Crow Boy

OK ... last try

NOTE:

All aliens engaged in any kind of work in Thailand must hold a valid work permit, issued principally by the Department of Employment of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare pursuant to the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521 (A.D. 1978).

The term "work" is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other remuneration. Working without a valid work permit even for a day is a criminal offense.

The validity period of a work permit is governed by the holder's immigration status, i.e. a work permit usually expires on the last day of the period of stay allowed by immigration officials as shown on the alien's visa. Aliens holding transit and tourist visas are not permitted to work.

http://www.thaivisa.com/work-permit/how-to...ork-permit.html

OK ... last try
NOTE:

All aliens engaged in any kind of work in Thailand must hold a valid work permit, issued principally by the Department of Employment of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare pursuant to the Alien Employment Act B.E. 2521 (A.D. 1978).

The term "work" is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other remuneration. Working without a valid work permit even for a day is a criminal offense.

The validity period of a work permit is governed by the holder's immigration status, i.e. a work permit usually expires on the last day of the period of stay allowed by immigration officials as shown on the alien's visa. Aliens holding transit and tourist visas are not permitted to work.

http://www.thaivisa.com/work-permit/how-to...ork-permit.html

Ha ha, awesome! Thank you, now, I can admit I was wrong, this topic should be erased from the forum since it was ENTIRELY based on illegal activities. GREAT! At LAST! Can a moderator please erase this illegal thread please? And, maybe delete my account for having posted it?

Sounds like Mr. punching bag wants to be K.O'd by the moderators. Somebody should oblige.

I don't think I have the time or the energy to post any more simple questions that require that many posts to get a simple answer. I haven't much interest in the best place to get "pizza or burgers" so I can't see this site being of much use to me. Erase me, so I don't get junk mail from this site.