Recommendations for furniture, wood carvings for Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang etc.

carefreetravels

Hello, my husband and I are  having a house built near Hua Hin. Before completing all of our furniture and home decor purchases, we would like to take a quick trip to Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang. We know that the burning season is far from an ideal time to visit, but we need to make these decisions in fairly short order. Unfortunately we do not speak Thai. We are interested in a teak carved bed, coffee tables, elephant carvings (like at Baan Tawai) , pretty lanterns etc. We would be happy to pay for an English speaking person to provide recommendations as to the best factories, outlets and stores for our particular needs and possibly accompany us to those targeted factories and stores, who knows all of the factories and can quickly understand our taste and our requirements and assist in price negotiations and translate for us as required. We have pictures and are quite particular. We currently live in Phuket. While we must have visited every furniture place in Phuket (both big and family owned) they do not have the variety or the prices we are seeking. Thank you in advance for assistance.

You don't really need someone, just wander around Baan Tawai... yes, you can usually negotiate prices there - - I haven't been there in over a year, but prices were very negotiable back then as it was a ghost town.. if you want to get out of the main store area, you might want a rental car to ride around all of the access roads leading in to town...

And you can find a trucker to gather all of your purchases and take it to HH - - - 

I don't think you need to go to Lampang and Lamphun... Baan Tawai will have much more than you need... and you will find that near everyone will have some English. I speak Thai but I bet you can do just as well with English only. 

• Like 2

I agree with those who have said just go to Baan Tawai, if you do not see exactly what you want there are many furniture factories that will do custom-made furniture to your specs.  We like Pan's furniture.  The showroom next to the factory is on the main road to Baan Tawai on the right hand side coming from Hang Dong, just before the main entrance to Baan Tawai. 

• Like 1

Just want to "second" on all the recommendations above. Baan Tawai has it all.  English is not a problem their. There  is an incredible selection available and anything can be custom made. Bargain hard. We designed our own furniture and had it custom made-very fair price. They arranged a truck to carry exerything to Phitsonulok where we live. Good luck-take time to check out everything.

• Like 1

OP ... are you familiar with Dan Singkhon in PKK, market on Myanmar border ? 

Plenty of wood vendors. http://tiny.cc/clspuz

Nothing but wood furniture vendors under the steel roof buildings pinned:  

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/11°47'05.1"N+99°39'16.5"E/@11.784757,99.6540092,220m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x75e701c1fea30500!7e2!8m2!3d11.7847565!4d99.6545813

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 5:26 PM, carefreetravels said:

Thank you so much for your referrals to Baan Tawai. Just praying that Baan Tawai is still open. So many places are still closed. 

It will be interesting to see what you find. I live here and have been to Baan Tawai twice in the last 14 months. Both times, perhaps 70% of the entire village was closed or out of business. It was like a ghost town and a complete waste of time. There are some shops on the road from Hang Dong to Baan Tawai that are still open. I would try those first.