Republicans lecture first black woman nominated to Supreme Court

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

selection has been race/gender biased since the founding of the SC?!

But of course, other people’s gender is another one of those fragility trigger things.

Your first sentence does kind of contradict the second sentence .

Insisting that a person must be of a certain gender for a job, then stating that those who focus on other peoples gender get "triggered" because of their "fragility" .

Think about the contradiction there 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If two requirements for that position is being Female  and also Black, that is going to rule out a lot of candidates for that position .

What would be the situation if a White Male identified as a Black Female , would that then make her eligible  for the position ?

Literally thousands of people could equally fill that position. Most of them have come from a tiny pool of wingnuts nominated by a well funded special interest group dedicated to destroying secular government.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson brings to the SCOTUS her experience of working as a public defender, representing the poor and those without the means to provide for their own defense council.

This is experience no other sitting SCOTUS judge has and is therefore a significant contribution to the court’s makeup.

The poor are the most effected by the Justice system, it is high time somebody with experience representing the poor sat on the SCOTUS bench.

Yes.
Good.

And wouldn't it have been ßloody marvelous had Biden gone ahead and nominated her without first declaring that he was going to exclude all males and all non-blacks from consideration.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Atlantis said:

Nobody was excluded. Biden obviously and self evidently considered everyone put to him and decided to pick a black woman from the suggested qualified candidates. Again, where is your evidence that she was unqualified. Where is your condemnation of Trump for explicitly excluding any woman from his first SC nomination?

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Atlantis said:

Yes.
Good.

And wouldn't it have been ßloody marvelous had Biden gone ahead and nominated her without first declaring that he was going to exclude all males and all non-blacks from consideration.

Show where he did. He clearly and self evidently announced he would pick a black woman AFTER reviewing all suggested candidates.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, ozimoron said:

You mean exactly like Trump did?

Do you have any reason other than racial animus or political preference to suggest Jackson is unqualified or not the best person?

So I point out 1) the extremity of the statements you made, mistakenly or otherwise and 2) blatant falsehoods in your posts, and that means you get to automatically project whatever-it-is-in-your-mind  ("racial animus" or "political preference") onto me?

I haven't even said I am against her candidacy / selection / person / track record.

You've shown time and time again you are not shy from being radically partisan in everything you comment on.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Who do you think you are talking to?

So I point out 1) the extremity of the statements you made, mistakenly or otherwise and 2) blatant falsehoods in your posts, and that means you get to automatically project whatever-it-is-in-your-mind  ("racial animus" or "political preference") onto me?

I haven't even said I am against her candidacy / selection / person / track record.

You've shown time and time again you are not shy from being radically partisan in everything you comment on. Stop. Projecting. Please.

I was complaining about your projecting. If you aren't against her candidacy and suitability then I'm at a loss to understand why your are complaining about Biden not picking the best candidate. You have put up noting to suggest that she isn't. Show me any falsehood in my posts.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Atlantis said:

what part of "extraordinary qualifications" don't you understand? It's still self evident that others would have been suggested and he would have considered them. Biden isn't stupid, he has decades of senate experience. Unlike the previous one termer, he never said he would exclude anyone. Nothing that Biden has done contravenes any law.

Republican circus act senators degrading themselves with crass culture war provocations.

It's no wonder that the world doesn't look to the U.S. any more as a model to emulate.

Soon to be Justice Jackson emerges smelling like a rose.

Opinion | The Jackson confirmation hearings show the GOP in decay - The Washington Post

The Jackson confirmation hearings show a Republican Party in decay

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

It should be a concern to everyone that she claimed to know what a woman is you need to be a biologist. Could she be relied on to protect women's rights if such a case came before the supreme court? Is Biden a biologist to know he hired the black woman he promised his voters?

"In the 13th hour of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson's confirmation hearing Tuesday, Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) asked the Supreme Court nominee: “Can you provide a definition for the word ‘woman’?” 

Jackson, appearing confused, responded, "I’m not a biologist.” 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/health-wellness/2022/03/24/marsha-blackburn-asked-ketanji-jackson-define-woman-science/7152439001/

I wonder whether participants here think she is very dumb or is she dishonest? hmmm. I can't imagine a more unsuitable candidate, and that's without even going into her dreadful record of appearing to treat minor attracted persons as the victim.

You've twisted her words. I understand this is an oft seen tactic of the right. She was asked to provide a definition, not what she thought a woman was. It was an idiotic, baiting question anyway, designed to throw red meat to the q-anon crowd in support of her apparent run for the presidency.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

It should be a concern to everyone that she claimed to know what a woman is you need to be a biologist. Could she be relied on to protect women's rights if such a case came before the supreme court? Is Biden a biologist to know he hired the black woman he promised his voters?

"In the 13th hour of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson's confirmation hearing Tuesday, Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) asked the Supreme Court nominee: “Can you provide a definition for the word ‘woman’?” 

Jackson, appearing confused, responded, "I’m not a biologist.” 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/health-wellness/2022/03/24/marsha-blackburn-asked-ketanji-jackson-define-woman-science/7152439001/

I wonder whether participants here think she is very dumb or is she dishonest? hmmm. I can't imagine a more unsuitable candidate, and that's without even going into her dreadful record of appearing to treat minor attracted persons as the victim.

I was wondering who that GOP pantomime performance was aimed at, now I know.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

It never ceases to amaze me how easily offended some are, at least when it is convenient. And how uninformed they are. "Full stop", wow, often used to accentuate an extremely lame argument, and a huge "tell". 

"Advise and consent."

A presidential candidate is free to make campaign promises. That they keep them should be applauded. I'm guessing you chose not to vote for Joe B. because he planned to appoint a black woman to SCOTUS?

It is not illegal for the president to nominate any candidate for federal office, or lifetime judicial appointment. I'd argue that is one of the primary responsibilities for POTUS.

It is the Senate's responsibility to approve the appointments.

To date, republican senators have raised many issues re: Judge Jackson, but none have raised the "discrimination" issue, yet.

Yeah, he's got health problems, and wife problems.

I’m quite certain he’s right now considering his future.

Perhaps Biden will get the chance to nominate a second highly qualified judge to the SCOTUS.

21 hours ago, Atlantis said:

@ozimoron

What you said yesterday:

"Show where he did. He clearly and self evidently announced he would pick a black woman AFTER reviewing all suggested candidates. "
"Got evidence or just racial animus? "
"Show me any falsehood in my posts. "

After being confronted with what every other single BM already knows, you still do not acknowledge your incorrect statements. It's looking more like you are deliberately lying. And not surprisingly, quite a few others are tolerating your lies, because you're on the correct team and all that. One more time for you and others:

“I have made no decision except one,” Biden said. "The person I will nominate will be someone with extraordinary qualifications, character, experience and integrity and that person will be the first black woman ever nominated to the United States Supreme Court."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There is no such thing as the objectively best qualified person for the job.

It’s in the President’s purview to choose who he wants, the party with a fondness waving the Confederate Flag, don’t like his choice.

"There is no such thing as the objectively best qualified person for the job." Correct. It has long been a highly partisan affair.
"the party with a fondness waving the Confederate Flag, don’t like his choice." Oh how brave of you!

Btw, isn't it against your values to smear an entire group? Or in your moral universe, is there a Good Book that makes an exception for the only other major political party in the US?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1