Cars with 2.0L engines and up

I've been looking around. It seems that all cars with a 2.0L engine or up are "imports" that's are overpriced or old cars with engine swaps. I'm from America and I'm looking for something like the Lexus is300, bmw 328i, Honda civic type r/s, it something a long those lines. I can't imagine how weak anything smaller than a 2.0 is. Am I blind or is the 1 million baht 328i a good deal? Please let me know so I can lower my expectations, thank you. 

56 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Most Thais are too intelligent & practical, and realize, a larger engine, doesn't necessarily mean better performance.

When you compare specs, and fuel economy, you'll agree.  The extra spent is usually just for show vehicles and options, you probably won't use after the 1st month.   Especially if speed is your quest, as speed limits are 30 - 60 - 90 - 120.  any 1.5 will do that, and haul around a load.

Larger engine may provide more torque, but not much more HP.

I agree. Speed isn't what I'm after. It's instant torque. Turbo is fine, I own a 1jz swapped E36. The lag of turbo and lack of torque from the smaller engines isn't for me. I wouldn't mind getting a regular 2.0 civic or gr Yaris, but even those are crazy expensive. As for economy, that's more related to your foot than the car. I've never been one to care much for it. I like to enjoy what I drive. I know I'm too used to the American market, just looking what's out there. 

I'd say the perfect daily for me would be inline or v 6 3.0 RWD. Or even 4 cylinder turbo 2.0. 

3 minutes ago, Max Williams said:

I agree. Speed isn't what I'm after. It's instant torque. Turbo is fine, I own a 1jz swapped E36. The lag of turbo and lack of torque from the smaller engines isn't for me. I wouldn't mind getting a regular 2.0 civic or gr Yaris, but even those are crazy expensive. As for economy, that's more related to your foot than the car. I've never been one to care much for it. I like to enjoy what I drive. I know I'm too used to the American market, just looking what's out there. 

I'd say the perfect daily for me would be inline or v 6 3.0 RWD. Or even 4 cylinder turbo 2.0. 

Might want to consider one of the hybrids (GWM or MG), or straight up EV (again ... GWM or MG), if not needing the range.

• Thanks 1

Not many large engines around now, turbo-charging 1.0 to 1.5 litre capacity seems to be the go. Unless the OP wants a Isuzu or Hilux.

An older Mitsubishi Diamante or Nissan Cefiro might fill the bill. A couple of the Honda Accords, but getting expensive plus how complicated is a ten-speed auto?

• Thanks 1

Am I blind or is the 1 million baht 328i a good deal? Please let me know so I can lower my expectations

Depends how old it is, but definitely not new.   What's your budget, 1 mill + a bit more, then definitely look at the specs of the GWM & MG.

Haval H6 is looking really nice  .. ฿1.2 ish mill +/- depending which model.

"1.5L engine with variable geometry turbocharger and electric motor give maximum power 243 HP and maximum torque 530 Nm"

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Depends how old it is, but definitely not new.   What's your budget, 1 mill + a bit more, then definitely look at the specs of the GWM & MG.

Haval H6 is looking really nice  .. ฿1.2 ish mill +/- depending which model.

"1.5L engine with variable geometry turbocharger and electric motor give maximum power 243 HP and maximum torque 530 Nm"

The big questions with the Chinese brands is how good their after-sales support is going to be, and how durable the vehicles are. They haven't been around long enough to establish the track record the Japanese and Koreans have.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Max Williams said:

I definitely would rather German or Japanese. Looking to buy second hand. I don't like buying new cars. 

If import, new Thai made / assembled here, or Chinese made/assembled here, will be cheaper than 2nd hand EU or Japan, which 1 mill won't be much of a EU or Jap car, unless aged.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, tonray said:

You should try driving a 1.0 Turbo or even a 1.5...not waek at all given the weight and nimbleness of the new cars

I have driven them. "There's no replacement for displacement" as they say lol. I love light and nimble cars, I have a Toyota FRS in America. I'd love something with the same feel. 

16 hours ago, Max Williams said:

I can't imagine how weak anything smaller than a 2.0 is

1 minute ago, Max Williams said:

I have driven them. "There's no replacement for displacement" as they say lol. I love light and nimble cars, I have a Toyota FRS in America. I'd love something with the same feel. 

Then why could you not imangine how weak they are if you had already driven them ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tonray said:

Then why could you not imangine how weak they are if you had already driven them ?

I drive a friend's yaris once. Hardly enough experience. I've never driven a performance oriented small displacement engine. I hear the gr Yaris is a blast with it's 1.6L, but it's twice the price here...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Max Williams said:

IIRC, there was a Mitsubishi 3000GT on sale somewhere in Bangkok a couple of years ago.

Now THAT'S displacement. Twin turbo, the FRS is a pussy in comparison.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

IIRC, there was a Mitsubishi 3000GT on sale somewhere in Bangkok a couple of years ago.

Now THAT'S displacement. Twin turbo, the FRS is a pussy in comparison.

Love that car lol. FRS is slow for sure, but it's a fun car to drive. 3000GT is a sexy beast.

17 minutes ago, tonray said:

You should try driving a 1.0 Turbo or even a 1.5...not waek at all given the weight and nimbleness of the new cars

It's not a turbo, but I love the Mazda 2. Nimble, and the ability to choose auto or manual mode on a torque converter gearbox makes it much better for me than any CVT.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's not a turbo, but I love the Mazda 2. Nimble, and the ability to choose auto or manual mode on a torque converter gearbox makes it much better for me than any CVT.

Yeah...GF has one...I like it too...not as much as my SWIFT...but almost

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Oh ya, that's the other thing. I'd love a good old fashion 5 or 6 speed. More fun to drive and where I'm at I don't have to worry about traffic. I'm a DIYer. I've been interested in the Mazdas but I've never worked on one. 

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Go one better, and try the CX-3. 2 liter engine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

VW Scirocco is long in the tooth now but 2.0 turbo and DSG gearbox is a fine combination. Just a shame its FWD.

You prefer RWD? Each to his own.

The Germans found out in World War II the FWD Citroen was far more nimble in French streets than their RWD Mercs.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Germans found out in World War II the FWD Citroen was far more nimble in French streets than their RWD Mercs.

Some people, including myself, prefer the push feeling rather than the pull. Also oversteering can be fun lol. 

57 minutes ago, Max Williams said:

Some people, including myself, prefer the push feeling rather than the pull. Also oversteering can be fun lol. 

Most of the RWD cars I drove in my younger days  had terminal understeer.

I don't know if anyone remembers the Hillman Imp, a 5 psi change in tire pressures front and back was sufficient to give either understeer or oversteer in bountiful proportions.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

FWD is fine but IMO RWD/AWD is better for grip under hard acceleration. Generally a bit more mechanically reliable too if driver has a heavy foot, there being no CV joints. That said, FWD with decent rubber and suspension can be a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

FWD is fine but IMO RWD/AWD is better for grip under hard acceleration. Generally a bit more mechanically reliable too if driver has a heavy foot, there being no CV joints. That said, FWD with decent rubber and suspension can be a lot of fun.

In a straight line, yes. IMO FWD is more controllable accelerating on a curve. With RWD, things can go pear-shaped quickly.

The Hyundai i30N is FWD, probably only 2% of drivers can exploit its full capability.

No argument AWD is the best option. That is probably going to be the next stage of i30N development.