Thai National - Have to use ThaiPass?

Be carefull you can apply for a Thai Pass for a Thai national and fill in the Thai ID card details for that person but unless they have a Thai passport it will be rejected. How many Thai nationals do not have a Thai passport especially when they have been living overseas with their non Thai partner for many years. This is not spelt out clearly in the application for registration for a Thai Pass. One of many traps this nonsensical application has.

Thailand needs to get rid of this money making scheme to enrich the few.. It does not protect Thais or visitors from contracting or spreading the virus. IT does however put off many people from returning to the Kingdom to catch up with family and enjoy the wonders of Thailand

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

A Thai can return to Thailand even with an expired passport with no problem.

That is correct in normal times. But now they must have a valid passport or a certificate of identity to get a Thailand Pass and to enter the country.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 1:23 PM, Kopitiam said:

No matter how long a Thai has lived overseas with their partner, he/she will still need a passport to do that.  A Thai can return to Thailand even with an expired passport with no problem.

But the Thai Consulate within your country of residence will issue an Emergency Travel Document on application to cover an expired Thai PP and where there is insufficient time to renew normally. Therefore, I suggest, this is the document preferred by Thai  Immigration at the point of entry? It would certainly be required to EXIT the country of residence and  by the airline. Does anyone actually know a Thai national who has entered on an expired PP and what was the reaction?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

It would certainly be required to EXIT the country of residence and  by the airline.

It wouldn't be required if they are a dual citizen with a valid passport from their country of residence as many Thais living overseas are.  

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is correct in normal times. But now they must have a valid passport or a certificate of identity to get a Thailand Pass and to enter the country.

My son, daughter and daughters boyfriend are all returning for a holiday in April. All have expired Thai passports and have their Thailand Pass. There has been no metion before of needing a valid Thai passport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

My son, daughter and daughters boyfriend are all returning for a holiday in April. All have expired Thai passports and have their Thailand Pass. There has been no metion before of needing a valid Thai passport.

I can assure you in the the past Thai's were forced to get a certificate of identity for a Thailand pass if their passport were expired. I hope all goes well for them when entering the country.

3 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

@bluescouse - Do post back here again with how it goes for them.... ????

• Like 1

Just called my daughter who works in a Thai restaurant in Southern England. A couple of workers there went back to Thailand a couple of weeks ago with expired passports. Immigration just reminded them to get new passports and they were let in.

• 4 weeks later...

So, just finished the one day quarantine in Bangkok today.

Arrived 22nd.  Son, daughter and daughter's boyfriend. All Thai dual citizens with expired Thai passports.

Checked in at Manchester airport OK. Clerk checked Thai pass and Thai passport numbers.Never bothered with the passports being expired. Doubt he checked the expiry date.

Arrived at BKK . I cleared immigration very quickly. Thais not so. Took about 45 minutes for them to clear immigration. Officer saw the expired passports, the 3 of them taken to one side. Had to show other proof of Thai nationality. My 2 were OK, as they have their Thai ID cards with them. The boyfriend left Thailand when he was 12 and never had a Thai ID card. Immigration phoned his father. Father had to take photo of the Tabianbahn and e-mail it up to Immigration. Then they were let out.

Today, me and sone flew to Ubon. At security in Don Muang, where they check bording cards and ID, son was pulled up as he used expired passport.  After he showed his Thai ID he was let through.