Department Store Copying Credit Card Details Into Huge Hardcopy Ledger

buzziebaby

I went into the only supermarket here in Chumphon, it is called Ocean, anyway I paid with a debit card and signed my slip while I was signing the cashier took out a HUGE ledger type book where she proceeded to look at my card and start writing the details down, thankfully I speak enough Thai to stop her immediately, I took all the receipts and paid by cash instead. I called and cancelled my card as soon as I left the store. This book was absolutely full anybody else experience this ????

You could see from the book that they were writing down expiration dates and the code on the back. ON returning to this store I have noticed that they have one of these HUGE books under each register. !!!!!!!!!

I went into the only supermarket here in Chumphon, it is called Ocean, anyway I paid with a debit card and signed my slip while I was signing the cashier took out a HUGE ledger type book where she proceeded to look at my card and start writing the details down, thankfully I speak enough Thai to stop her immediately, I took all the receipts and paid by cash instead. I called and cancelled my card as soon as I left the store. This book was absolutely full anybody else experience this ????

You could see from the book that they were writing down expiration dates and the code on the back. ON returning to this store I have noticed that they have one of these HUGE books under each register. !!!!!!!!!

No, but wouldn't be surprised. I only use debit card here an no problems so far.

Inform this to what ever the palace is, my friends' credits have been closed after only moving to malaysia after thailand, anycase of fraud report an you will be credited back by visa.

No, but wouldn't be surprised. I only use debit card here an no problems so far.

Inform this to what ever the palace is, my friends' credits have been closed after only moving to malaysia after thailand, anycase of fraud report an you will be credited back by visa.

what are you trying to say - makes no sense at all :o

Don't they already have all this information from the credit card receipt anyway?

Seems a bit drastic to cancel your credit card after you paid in cash.

Don't they already have all this information from the credit card receipt anyway?

An ordinary swipe wouldn't give them the security code on the back of the card.

what are you trying to say - makes no sense at all :o

Refrace:

This book was absolutely full anybody else experience this ???? - NO

Contact your credit card dealer the least.

If your card has been copied etc. You will likely get refunds.

Added:

If you're so concearned why not call police/tourist polle on the scene? At least go to the police station to file a report?

Still not clear, pardon my keyboard.

I can see the problem. Any unscrupulous staff member with internet access can use the details to purchase whatever they want. It sounds like they have a large number of cards to choose from.

And in any case, Thais have not the first idea about the concept of data protection. Almost all outlets still print card number and expiry date on receipts, approximately 7-years after most countries ceased this obvious security breach...

Oh to have that book... What a great shopping spree! (Joke - before the holier-than-thou flamers get started)

You can do nothing about credit card fraud except notice when it happens and report it the card provider.

At every store you have used your card they have a record of the details. CCV number is easy to memorise for the minute or so until the customer leaves the shop, then it can be written down. Combine this with the store receipt with card number and exp number on it and people can go shopping on the phone and the computer with your card.

Always keep a close eye on your cc card bills, its the only way to not get ripped off.

In my opinion it is illegal to save cc datas without the owner's permission.

I had a bad experience in Pantip Plaza two years ago. My credit card has been cloned... .

What about the Thailands law (privacy's fraud case ?). Anyway (as bkkmadness says) the better way is to report the fraud to your Credit Card Provider.

mk

And in any case, Thais have not the first idea about the concept of data protection. Almost all outlets still print card number and expiry date on receipts, approximately 7-years after most countries ceased this obvious security breach...

Oh to have that book... What a great shopping spree! (Joke - before the holier-than-thou flamers get started)

I have an a retail and internet shop in the UK - we now have the "chip and pin" cards and they have just updated our PDQ machine (card processing terminal). When we process a card the customer gets the a receipt with xxxx's on it for his card number - but we get a copy with all the full card details. We don't get the CVV number, but it wouldn't be hard to look and remember it. This is the new "High Security" method (so called) - a dodgy member of staff could easily go shopping on the internet. Card shopping is not so safe as it seems, but for most of us it seems to work out ok, thankfully. It probably better that getting hit on the head for all the cash you would have to carry around otherwise.

As far as the shop writing it all down - this is total against the card Visa and Mastercard rules and you should report the shop. Thai shops do seem to like their paper work though.

It's the same advise over and over again: Don't use your credit card for purchases in Thailand. ONLY for cash withdrawal and ONLY from proper and secure bank ATM's.. Thailand is a cash society, don't let your guard down, you WILL be punished.

Have used my Nationwide Visa credit card (nil interest) to buy things on many occasions and the only problems are sometimes the micky mouse pin machine in the stores.

I would never use a CC to withdraw dosh since they all rip you off with "extras"....2% for this and O Yes a wee transaction charge...1-2%...(for the shareholders bubbly)....and then usually a lesser exchange rate.....sods..

As been said many times before... hit the ATMs with a Flex debit C from N/W....NIL anything charge wise and inter bank exchange rates....Dont chuck yet Loot AWAY...... :o

I can picture it: you notice something awry, you make a polite yet firm mention to manager of the place. He/she responds in one of the following ways:

1. doesn't understand (or doesn't want to, or try to understand) and waves you away.

2. listens, makes a paltry excuse and that's it.

3. listens, gets annoyed or angry at uppity foreigner telling him/her what to do in his/her own country.

4. listens, says he'll make the an improvement .....but doesn't

5. says it's store policy. end of conversation.

On more than a few occassions I've tried to make suggestions, but usually when a Thai hears a foreigner suggest any change in 'the way things are done' it goes in one ear and out the other. Security or safety issues, same thing. Most often, the response is a nice smile and a few words saying, in effect; "this is the Thai way of doing things - you're not expected to understand."

Case in point: I was at a waterfall and a couple young boys were dancing around in the pool with beer bottles. I tried to explain that if one were to slip, and a bottle were to break, there'd be broken glass in the water - but they just waved me away with grins and words I didn't comprehend.

I use my (Thai issued) credit cards all over the place - both in Thailand and other parts of Asia. Never had a problem. The only occasion i ever had a problem was when I lost my wallet which contained the cards. The person found it had used it for a small transaction. I simply told the card company it wasnt my purchase and they reversed it immediately.

There are a lot of scare stories. I wonder how many of them are true?

I use my (Thai issued) credit cards all over the place - both in Thailand and other parts of Asia. Never had a problem.

Me either. I use the cards for everything, to the point where I rarely ever have a significant amount of cash on me!

I think that a semi-smart Thai credit card scammer would stay away from Thai issued cards, and target foreign cards. They would be figuring that the victim will be thousands of miles away when they get the bill and realize that they have been screwed, and that said victim will complain to their local police who are powerless in Thailand.

To the OP- definitely report this to your credit card provider. What they are doing is highly unethical if not illegal. If you are changing your card over it, perhaps write a letter to attach to your application paperwork, explaining the situation and that this is the reason you are having to change your card.

I have a credit card, but I almost never use it--at least not in Thailand. It's for emergency use and for those things that you absolutely need a credit card for. I also always pay the entire card off every time it's used, that way I know there aren't any surprises waiting for me.

I also seldom use my debit card--once in a while, but I find it just as easy to go to the ATM, take cash and use that.

Most people don't seem to have any trouble though. I think the chances are relatively small. The people who clone cards etc., are kind of experts at it and it's rather hard to stop them, I think.

Those of you who have used your cards and been lucky, why can't you just be grateful for that?

Yes, I used my card once in Pattaya - the Dundomon (or whatever it's called, Japanese food chain) in Big C North Pattaya. Only place I ever used it outside bank ATM's. 2-3 weeks later the card was maxed out with purchases from Japan and Malaysia.

Just be happy you were lucky and don't tempt fate. Notice that if your Thai issued card should be used fraudulently the lack of consumer protection here means you will be held liable for any purchases made. If you have a foreign issued card you will incur the hassle of reversing the charges and costs involved of getting a new card issued - and unless you have an alternative mans of funding you'll be without cash in the interim.

Edited by Phil Conners

i never realized it till my wife drew my attention to it :o

Notice that if your Thai issued card should be used fraudulently the lack of consumer protection here means you will be held liable for any purchases made.

Which part of my post couldn't you read or understand? I had a card stolen. A transaction was made on it before I cancelled it. I pointed it out and it was reversed, no questions asked.

I use my (Thai issued) credit cards all over the place - both in Thailand and other parts of Asia. Never had a problem. The only occasion i ever had a problem was when I lost my wallet which contained the cards. The person found it had used it for a small transaction. I simply told the card company it wasnt my purchase and they reversed it immediately.

"small transaction" and the positive (lucky) result, coincidence?

Mr. Murphy's (no relation to Mr. Rosner) probably got a cousin whose name applies to that equation.

Edited by calibanjr.

Consumer protection laws are definitely different in Thailand. And credit cards are somewhat of a new phenomon. I know - they've been here for a long time. But the criminals here haven't really been aware of the vast fraud potential. I mean, how difficult would it be to break into that grocery store after hours and steal all the credit card ledgers they keep under the registers?

It also violates Visa/MC agreements if a vendor charges you for using your card - like 20 Baht, for instance. Credit card rules say that the vendor must charge the same price for credit as for cash, or they can lose the privilege of accepting credit payments. But does this stop them?

Yet what pisses me off most is when I get a Visa/MC receipt that says "NO REFUND." That completely violates credit card policies, which allow you to contest charges if the goods were not delivered per contract. For example .. say you wanted to stay at a hotel for 3 weeks, but you find you have to leave after only 1 week. If the hotel has a 48 hour cancellation notice, technically you should only owe them for 1 week plus 2 days. But they have that "NO REFUND" payment from you. What do you think usually happens?

And they wonder why I refuse to pay in advance...

agreed. 10 years of local issue credit card use in thailand and never an issue.

I do get a phone call whenever i spend more than 10k though.

thing is i live and shop in areas that seem to get reported for fraud alot on TV.

Those of you who have used your cards and been lucky, why can't you just be grateful for that?

Or maybe those people that have had problems have been unlucky.

If people are going to be so paranoid about using a CC, simple solution is, DON'T HAVE ONE.

I regularly use my UK Visa card in Thailand at various outlets. I have never had a problem.

This advice has been posted previously but there's no harm in repeating it.

If you are going to use your CC abroad, notify your card issuer.

Don't let your card out of your sight, though sometimes this can be hard to do.

Never leave your PIN with your CC.

Shrubbery, I see you've only got 111 posts to your name. When you've been here longer, you'll realise that sensible, practical and responsible advice isn't appreciated.

Instead, you get more friends if you blubber away about how shitty everything is and how every single Thai person, Thai business and Thai institution exists solely to screw over the poor white farang.

Don't worry about getting it wrong here. You'll soon learn our ways . . .

The Thai-issued cards are usually safe to use because the fraudsters know that if they play games with your card, you will probably be in the country to track them down. It's much more common to hear stories of tourists using cards and somehow or another being defrauded (with a foreign- issued card). So a lesson for tourists- be extra careful about using cards here. For a local using a local card, the risk is much lower.