Sticky Rice and Mango

giddyup

Quite often buy this as it's one of my favourite Thai desserts, but today the gf made it herself for the first time, and have to say it turned out pretty good. As I have had it many times, and the taste is fairly constant, I suggested adding some raisins to the rice just to add a bit of variety. This was met with an expression of horror as adding the raisins would be seen as a sacrilege.

What do you think, spoiling a perfectly good dish or not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Where do you stop, banana, kiwi, apple etc?

I was being a bit tongue in cheek.

The sticky rice with mango is probably my favourite sweet just as it is. I think my misses adds a sprinkle of sugar.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sipi said:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek.

The sticky rice with mango is probably my favourite sweet just as it is. I think my misses adds a sprinkle of sugar.

And presumably coconut milk?

• Like 1

Going for a rice pudding mashup? Why not? Rice pudding is something that Asians would love. This is like a pineapple on a pizza argument. Have it your way. I'm in Mex. They'd love it/don't have it too.

Best M+SR I ever had was at MBK Food Court. A fat lady by the entrance. She has her own mango farm.

• Like 1

My misses makes another sweet occasionally where she hollows out a small pumpkin and fills the middle with a sweet egg custard and steams it. Takes a bit of getting used to, but quite nice.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Going for a rice pudding mashup? Why not? Rice pudding is something that Asians would love. This is like a pineapple on a pizza argument. Have it your way. I'm in Mex. They'd love it/don't have it too.

Best M+SR I ever had was at MBK Food Court. A fat lady by the entrance. She has her own mango farm.

Little place near the bowling alley.....Pattaya Klang......that is to die for....

• Like 1

The best mango/sticky rice I've had comes from my wife's home town in Chachengsao.  Her town is said to be famous for the best nam dokmai  mangos used in that dish. 

They add salt to the coconut milk sauce also and sprinkle some toasted split mung beans on top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Little place near the bowling alley.....Pattaya Klang......that is to die for....

It's moved. Mae Sai Thong has moved further up Pattaya Klang. I think opposite the old PEA site. Opposite side to soi 12. The other one isn't quite as good.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

MBK, it was the best. Always amazed me how she could peel the mangoes so quickly without cutting a finger.

14 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I believe that was the very place that gave me my first taste!

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Leave it alone ! You should be tied to a post and publicly FLOGGED !

Your far to mild burned to the stake too ????

I used to love it (still do) just don't eat it. Its not really something that is good for you. But can't deny how good it tastes. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your far to mild burned to the stake too ????

I used to love it (still do) just don't eat it. Its not really something that is good for you. But can't deny how good it tastes. 

yeah most desserts just make you fat, like ice cream, puddings

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Not to mention a sure way to become a diabetic if eaten too much. 

Could say the same about Mars Bars, Coke or anything containing a lot of sugar.

Edited by giddyup

22 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes of course, but some people seem to think this is better because it has fruit.  This might look healthy but is as bad as the stuff you mentioned.

Not judging you or anything I just won't touch the stuff. But used to love it

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes of course, but some people seem to think this is better because it has fruit.  This might look healthy but is as bad as the stuff you mentioned.

Not judging you or anything I just won't touch the stuff. But used to love it

Everything in moderation. I eat it as an occasional treat, it's not my main food source.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Everything in moderation. I eat it as an occasional treat, it's not my main food source.

Good for you that you can do stuff in moderation, that is not something that comes easy for me. If my sweet tooth is activated I want more and more. For me it works best to cut stuff out totally and then I don't need it anymore.

But people like you and my GF for instance seem to have no problem with moderation. If there is a chocolate bar in the fridge.. it wont last long. (that is why i dont buy it). But for GF it can be in the fridge for months without her touching it.

We are all different and what works for one does not work for an other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

It's not as simple as just sugar, there are people who eat vast amounts of sugar and carbs every day and are slim and no where near being diabetic

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1