Dodgy stuff happening when importing personal effects to Thailand

rose33

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thai customs are the pits, they behave like they run their own business there and with no accounting to anyone and what ever their sick brains conjure up rules and regulations and tariffs and duties that what they will do and you can talk to the walls...

PERSONAL effects are duty free as far as I know....all over the world.....

i brought into LOS.......laptop, computer tv microwave...pots pans,,,,,, golf clubs.....fishing tackle....frying pans....plates.....you name it I had it all classed as personal effects

I paid 10 k baht to get thru customs and dleivery to Jomtien.

The lot came from uk via 20 foot container.....

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Chuck it.

Was crazy idea in first place. 

There's stuff in there I'd like to have with me. Childhood photos and journals. Clothes that fit really well. 

If I'd been travelling direct from AU to TH I just would have flown biz class and brought it all with me. But there was a bit of traveling before coming here.

5 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

PERSONAL effects are duty free as far as I know....all over the world.....

i brought into LOS.......laptop, computer tv microwave...pots pans,,,,,, golf clubs.....fishing tackle....frying pans....plates.....you name it I had it all classed as personal effects

I paid 10 k baht to get thru customs and dleivery to Jomtien.

The lot came from uk via 20 foot container.....

If I may ask, when was that?

We seem to have 2 schools of thought on this thread, re: personal effects. 

Just now, rose33 said:

2008 dec 10 th when i flew in......stuff left uk nov 2008 arrived thai.....february 2009 delivered to my condo feb 11th 2009 53 boxes in total......also brough my 18 speed mountain bike !!!!!!

21 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Contemplated shipping all my stuff over from Germany for all of 10 sec........I envisaged exactly what you are going through........not that helps you any.

Hope you get it all sorted.

use ags fourwinds at lam chabaeng as the cleaing agents like i did

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rose33 said:

There is the added complexity that I was initially (when I left Australia) planning to move to a different country (not Thailand). I made sure my shipping items met all the requirements for leaving AU, travelling by air, AND entry into Country A. I carefully read all the rules for that, packed and disposed of items accordingly, and made a detailed inventory and took a lot of photos.

That is no reason for failing to check the Thai requirements.  That is just an irrelevant story.

1 hour ago, rose33 said:

I also note it's not a business transaction... It's merely the transport of my personal items.

You bought a service from a company.  That is a business transaction no matter what you were shipping.  Using a credit card is a business transaction.  

1 hour ago, rose33 said:

FedEx have offered no meaningful support throughout the whole process. 

You failed to read the part that says they have no liability or responsibility for customs duties or taxes.  They owe you nothing, they told you up front. 

1 hour ago, rose33 said:

There is the added complexity that I was initially (when I left Australia) planning to move to a different country (not Thailand). I made sure my shipping items met all the requirements for leaving AU, travelling by air, AND entry into Country A. I carefully read all the rules for that, packed and disposed of items accordingly, and made a detailed inventory and took a lot of photos.

That is no reason for failing to check the Thai requirements.  That is just an irrelevant story.

1 hour ago, rose33 said:

I also note it's not a business transaction... It's merely the transport of my personal items.

You bought a service from a company.  That is a business transaction no matter what you were shipping.  Using a credit card is a business transaction.  

1 hour ago, rose33 said:

FedEx have offered no meaningful support throughout the whole process. 

You failed to read the part that says they have no liability or responsibility for customs duties or taxes.  They owe you nothing, they told you up front. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rose33 said:

"personal effects" can go through customs tax free when you are moving your official address / household as part of the process of taking up residency. There is official documentation for that.

FedEx or any other courier service do not really provide a customs service. They could, but they don't. They present your paper to the customs and can advance the fee and charge you and that's it.

For any customs work, due diligence, advice, etc. it's necessary to talk with an international shipping company/agent, international movers, etc.

Edited by tgw

Through reading stories like this and from friends' experience, I for sure would never, ever try to import anything to Thailand that I cannot bring on the plane with me. Too much opportunity for seizure, charges and graft. 

I have to chuckle as I write this. In January I arrived at BKK with a big suitcase and a small rolling carry-on case. At customs they wanted to x-ray the small carry on case. I asked if they wanted the big case too. They said no. Bad luck for them as it was the big case that had all the numerous bottles of wine and champagne in it. I really expected to lose it all and as I walked out of customs my smile was as big as it gets!

Edited by soi3eddie

4 hours ago, blackshadow said:

2008 dec 10 th when i flew in......stuff left uk nov 2008 arrived thai.....february 2009 delivered to my condo feb 11th 2009 53 boxes in total......also brough my 18 speed mountain bike !!!!!!

What was the damage for that service pal ?

Anyone have any recommendations for best shipping company or shipping method for sending personal items to Thailand from the US.

I am considering sending some books and other possessions totaling about two A4 paper boxes and maybe 20 KG total.

I got an estimate online from DHL which was higher than the value of what I am sending, like $800 USD.

6 hours ago, rose33 said:

It's a 2010 ThinkPad with NO BATTERY, no wifi, and an Australian recharger. Why would they want it? ???? Very desperate indeed ????

I tried to abandon it but apparently the abandoning is an all or nothing game.

it definitely seems that some nice guy at NatEx Thailand liked your laptop. Maybe they need a spare parts for the very same model?

I've bought a second hand Thinkpad a few years ago and it came in a messed up cardboard box so it was absolutely clearly seen as a second hand item and no questions were asked by both DHL who delivered it and by Thai customs who "inspected" it.

Just forget that FedQuick and use another couriers.

Yes, DHL is expensive and they like to charge extra "customs fees" but they do deliver.

Edited by fdsa