Hotel is asking me to message them to get bank details for payemnt for RT-PCR test & airport pick-up

MaiDong

I made a booking on Agoda, with a large hotel in the centre of Bangkok, it's a well-known hotel, and was featured on a recent Youtube vlog about a western couple entering Thailand, and their experience with the whole shenanigans.

I paid for the hotel(Approx. THB1,500), got confirmation, entered it onto the Thailand Pass website and it was rejected due to RT-PCR test and hotel pick-up not being part of the booking.

I didn't know the costs of the test & pick-up etc, so B1,500 didn't seem cheap, nor expensive, just a normal price.

However, I messaged the hotel through Agoda and they told me the extras would be another B3,800, that's fine, having looked around I can see that they're unreasonably expensive, but it's a hoop, and I'll jump it this time.

The odd thing is though, that the hotel said they'd sent me a file attachment within the agoda messaging system with bank info, but it was never received, I told them this and their suggestion was this: 'Maybe Agoda is not allowed. Please kindly send an email to the hotel directly. Best Regards,...'

So they want me to send 3800 to a random bank account, and I'll just sit here in hope that I'll get some kind of confirmation that will be suitable for my Thailand pass registration, is that normal??

Edited by MaiDong

The hotel just said that my wife can call them or I can make a new booking with the required test & pick-up(despite them not being available during booking on Agoda).

So it seems legitimate enough, but what a disjointed process this is.

• Confused 1

A one night,  RT-PCR test and Hotel pickup could not be 1,500 baht.  Also, if you look carefully the hotels that offer the full Test and Go package can be in the range of 4,000 to 5,500 Baht.  I do not like to give a hotel my banking information as well.  Can you make another booking with Agoda for the full Test and Go package.  I have used Agoda 3 times in the last 14 months when I entered Thailand and each package clearly listed the RT-PCR tests, hotel pickup and 3 meals.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

A one night,  RT-PCR test and Hotel pickup could not be 1,500 baht.  Also, if you look carefully the hotels that offer the full Test and Go package can be in the range of 4,000 to 5,500 Baht.  I do not like to give a hotel my banking information as well.  Can you make another booking with Agoda for the full Test and Go package.  I have used Agoda 3 times in the last 14 months when I entered Thailand and each package clearly listed the RT-PCR tests, hotel pickup and 3 meals.  

As I said in my OP, this is the first time I've even looked into the costs so I didn't know what was an accurate price.

However, as the payment was to such a large and reputable hotel, communicated through their Agoda messaging system, I decided to pay and give it a go...

48 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Some hotels still don't have their ducks in a row, especially now that many of them are SHA+Extra which means they can also host regular, non-quarantine guests. Last year, not all hotels on agoda had the all-inclusive rates and the OP's experience of being asked for subsequent, ad-hoc payments wasn't unusual.

Why would any hotel want their customer's banking information?

Edited by NanLaew

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Some hotels still don't have their ducks in a row, especially now that many of them are SHA+Extra which means they can also host regular, non-quarantine guests. Last year, not all hotels on agoda had the all-inclusive rates and the OP's experience of being asked for subsequent, ad-hoc payments wasn't unusual.

Why would any hotel want their customer's banking information?

Are we the ducks? ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I just found one for under 4000 in late April  This includes the RT-PCR test, Airport Van and meals.  

Citrus Sukhumvit 13 Nana Bangkok by Compass Hospitality (SHA Extra Plus)

22 Sukhumvit Soi 13, Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand, 10110

Very good location  

Quarantine Package

27 Apr 2022 - 28 Apr 2022

1 night
1 x SuperiorChange

1 room, 1 adult

1 adult

Medical services and hygiene measures 

Food and beverages 

Technology and entertainment 

Transportation 

Others 

We have limited availability at this price - book now!

18% OFF TODAY
Original price (1 room x 1 night)฿ 4,000.00
Our price ฿ 3,421.93
AGODASPONSORED Coupon applied-฿ 156.00
Room price (1 room x 1 night)฿ 3,265.93
Booking feesFREE
Price

฿ 3,844.00
Included in price: Tax 7%, Service charge 10%

20 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Are we the ducks? ????

Never felt like a Duck with Agoda.  All the relevant information is available to review before booking.  The price difference between a one night regular stay and one night Test and Go stay is outrageous.  I have seen some offers of 900 Baht for a regular stay go to over 5,000 with the Test and Go Package.  The PCR test alone could be 3,000 Baht.

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Never felt like a Duck with Agoda.  All the relevant information is available to review before booking.  The price difference between a one night regular stay and one night Test and Go stay is outrageous.  I have seen some offers of 900 Baht for a regular stay go to over 5,000 with the Test and Go Package.  The PCR test alone could be 3,000 Baht.

You did read my OP thoroughly, didn't you? I was completely unaware of the cost of the test, and quite reasonably thought that it could be just a couple of hundred baht - or somewhere else near it's ACTUAL cost, and a ride from the airport to BKK could have been as little as 500, if it were priced reasonably.

And with regards to Agoda, this hotel was clearly labelled as '**** Hotel (SHA Plus+)', so I had no reason to think there would be extra costs.

Again, I had NEVER looked at the costs of entering Thailand until today, when I started my journey.

Edited by MaiDong
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

You did read my OP thoroughly, didn't you? I was completely unaware of the cost of the test, and quite reasonably thought that it could be just a couple of hundred baht - or somewhere else near it's ACTUAL cost, and a ride from the airport to BKK could have been as little as 500, if it were priced reasonably.

And with regards to Agoda, this hotel was clearly labelled as '**** Hotel (SHA Plus+)', so I had no reason to think there would be extra costs.

Again, I had NEVER looked at the costs of entering Thailand until today, when I started my journey.

Welcome to Thailand, I hope you learned something new.

1 hour ago, MaiDong said:

SHA only means it was inspected to Covid standards.  Most hotels display this sticker.  Eliminate the word "Reasonable" when reviewing anything related to Covid and Thailand.  How much does a RT-PCR cost  in your county right now?  The cost of an RT-PCR test in Thailand is slightly less than most western countries.  Gather as much information as you can before coming to Thailand.  

• Like 1

Cancel your booking.... 

Contact Agoda and tell them what has happened and that a hotel they are advertising on their site is not an SHA Plus + Test&Go hotel.

Then book a proper Test&Go hotel - its easy to spot the legitimate ones because they have Airport Trx, RT-PCR test, ATK...    and they are approximately 4000 Baht +

IF you want to be safe - book a Centre Point T&G package (on Agoda) or one of the many others.

IF you try and be cheap and think you can get away with a hotel for one night which includes, RT-PCR Test, Airport Trx and ATK for 1500 Baht then there’s a little naivety involved. 

There are enough threads on Test&Go now - perhaps too many, but this really is not difficult. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Which hotel is it ?  someone (I) can take a look and see what went wrong and IF the hotel is misrepresented by Agoda - IF it is, Agoda will give a refund (they did in the past for others who had the same issue). 

18 minutes ago, darrenr said:

I have been going to a well known hotel in Pattaya called Flipper lodge on soi 8 since 2004. When I wanted to book a test and go package about 1 month ago , they wanted me to email them a copy of the data page of my passport and also immunisation certificate , I didn’t book with them as sending and email which is unencrypted end to end you run the risk of cyber criminal intercepting and stealing your personal information 

I thought this was very odd , considering the info they requested would have to be uploaded by me to obtain a Thailand Pass ?

Anyhow not coming back to Thailand until they do away with the Thailand pass, 1 night quarantine with PCR test and 5 day RAT test ,why not just allow fully vaccinated (3 shots) to only have a PCR test before they depart their country ?

Agree! Me too????

Let me please share my experience:

I booked a hotel direct with a listed ASQ / 'Test and Go' hotel.

The hotel sent me a payment link which didn't contain their name. The hotel mentioned there's currently lots of problems with scams and intercept of the 'normal' payments using VISA etc. direct.

I took the risk and opened the link and made the payment and (as requested by the hotel) took a 'snip' of the payment confirmation details/reference no., etc and quickly sent the 'payment received snip' to the hotel.

Within a minute I got an e.mail direct from the hotel manager confirming they had received my payment and confirming that there was no further balance owing to the hotel.

Ten minutes later I got a new version of the hotel booking confirmation letter (direct from the hotel) mentioning the fee and mentioning that it was paid in full and there was no outstanding balance owing to the hotel.

There was no further mention, by e.mail, of payment or more payments.

I arrived in Thailand, went to the hotel using the transport linked to the hotel, and no further mention of more payments on arrival at the hotel or when I checked out. In fact the hotel was great, all services were as expected, including the swab test on arrival, receiving the negative reprt, food, help to continue on my journey to get to Chiang Mai to my family.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The hotel sent me a payment link

I think this is the correct way and this is how I paid the T&G package last time. Those payment services allow the use of credit cards. Direkt bank transfer is quite unusual and potentially slow if you don‘t habe a Thai bank account. 

On 3/28/2022 at 5:04 PM, MaiDong said:

I was completely unaware of the cost of the test, and quite reasonably thought that it could be just a couple of hundred baht - or somewhere else near it's ACTUAL cost, and a ride from the airport to BKK could have been as little as 500, if it were priced reasonably.

The cost of the PCR test from many hospitals is between 2,500 and 4,000 Baht, the cost of a ride into Bangkok before covid would be reasonable at 500 Baht, however now the interior must be sterilised before collecting you and after dropping you off and you need to be sure that the driver is not going to transmit the virus to you, so that means that 500 Baht is no longer a reasonable cost, is it?

so 3,800 looks to be just passing on the actual costs, doesn’t it?

Last year I entered Thailand on the CoE scheme.  I booked the hotel using my credit card, and it was all confirmed as normal.

Two months later my credit card contacted me to question 'unusual transactions' on my card.  Sure enough, someone had used my card (Mastercard).  Mastercard accepted that transactions were fraudulent and cancelled them and my Card.

Major inconvenience being in Thailand with no credit card to use to book a flight back to UK.

I am not saying that the Hotel I stayed at was guilty of cloning my card or using the details, but this has never happened to me before.  So I would beware of using a credit card or giving bank details when booking a Thailand entry scheme.