Pre-Flight Testing Options-Anyone Tried This?

mrwebb8825

My wife and I are leaving for America in 2 days. Up until this morning I've been under the impression that we needed to get a PCR test 24hrs before boarding. Then I received this in my email (we're transiting through Vienna on route to Chicago):

When entering Germany, Austria, Canada and the USA, you also have the option of using test kits with a video-accompanied and verified self-test, which are available to you as an alternative to our trusted partner laboratories. You can use the tests conveniently at home or in your hotel and you will receive the test certificate including a QR-code by email afterwards.*

Germany, Austria, Canada and the USA

* Important note: Verified self-tests are not accepted in all countries and/or only for certain categories of persons. Up until the day of your flight, the legal/regulatory requirements pertaining to your flight (including those relating to the test regulations), in particular those of the respective country of destination, may change. Please find out independently and in good time about any changes to the legal/regulatory requirements (including those relating to the test regulations) for entry into your destination country. See Lufthansa’s General Conditions of Carriage, Art. 13.1. Lufthansa cannot accept any responsibility in this regard.

This seems to be a much easier, cheaper (10-30 baht each vs 3,000 baht each + 370 baht video fee for both) and less stressful way to get the certificate needed to fly.

I'm a little confused still on which test qualifies and where to buy it.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:24 AM, treetops said:

Recent posts indicate an antigen test is all that's required for the USA and if you are only transiting in Vienna then you are not entering the country so don't need to worry about their requirements.

Actually, the airlines required compliance with Vienna AND the US. The good thing was that we didn't have to pay for the expensive PCR and worry about the  24hr before rule getting messed up since our flight left at 11:45pm.

We downloaded the Testifly app and was able to find the Boson BioTech home test kit that matched their requirement and do the test on the same day as we left with results and accepted certificate within 10-20 minutes after testing completion.

Now we won't/don't need anything to return as both Thailand and Switzerland no longer require any test.