Telescopes

dddave

I have a nice balcony view of Pattaya Bay from my Jomtien Beach apartment.  There are a lot of large ships passing in the distance, going in and out of the Laem Chabang port.   I would like to have a better view of these distant vessels but the binoculars I have don't really do the trick.  When on strong magnification, they are almost impossible to hold steady enough. Also, my left eye is much weaker than my right so getting balanced focus is difficult.

I'm considering a telescope on a tripod stand. My budget would be not more than B5000.

Looking on Lazada, I see both spotting telescopes and astronomical telescopes. 

Would an astronomical scope be totally inappropriate for looking at distant ships?  Would they not be within it's focus range?

Would a spotting scope be that much better for the use I have in mind? 

BTW; by astronomical telescope, I don't mean the extra powerful "mirror" telescopes, just the straight optical ones.

I bought a spotting scope from Lazada to look at the birds (feathered varieties) around my home. It is a Svbony brand and is quite good - but you will still need a (sturdy) tripod to stop the ‘shakes’.

I think an astronomical scope may be overkill for your purposes - although if you can find a decent one that is well priced - you don’t need to use it at full magnification.