Online lottery ticket sales proposed for year end if overpricing persists

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A plan for the government to launch the online sale of lottery tickets at the end of this year is to be proposed, if the authorities remain unable to prevent the overpricing of the tickets,

Over-pricing is allowed as it's a form of corruption exceptable to those who reap the benefits.

An online system would never be allowed.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Do they get those allocated tickets direct from the gub'ment or is there an intermediate markup?  And what percentage actually makes it to the intended disabled folks vs siphoned off? 

I'm just trying to understand how it really works.

If you would just read the full article you should understand how it works (as apposed to how it should work)

45 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The little people who sell at the correct price won't be affected.

Why people buy over-priced tickets I just don't understand.

My local seller says 100 baht... I walk away... if everyone else did the same the following sale would be the normal price.

same with me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

I have never seen/heard somebody on streets buy ticket whit 80 bth, minimum always has been 100 bth. Most of quota's belong to rich people who send poor people to sell ticket's. And from those who get quota many are government workers. 

So a markup of minimum 25% for someone. probably a ticket cartel of rich people.

I have seen certain tickets, or books of tickets much higher than 100 baht. Then there are always certain numbers that are either priced very high, or, and this one I can't understand, "not for sale".

Almost as if they are known to be winning numbers.

• Haha 1

Thailand purchased online lottery equipment under Thaksin’s regime. Installation and training took place. The project was stopped during the coup against him. The central system probably still resides at Lottery headquarters.
Many countries require hand-held machines for the handicapped/disabled to be able to continue to sell. Online is more easily managed. (Most lotteries operate a system as a separate entity, not part of a government network to ensure security.)

How many years has this been proposed and never happened !

For the price of the ticket for the prize payout it is one of the worst lotteries in the world !

Never be put online as too many people involved will lose their cut from it. Not all sales help people with disabilities etc , there are two different tickets from what I remember and one is sold by people with disabilities and the other is just sold by a vendor. They said you shouldn’t be able to buy the same number in large amounts like 10 or above , yet the other day I seen a page selling tickets in groups of 10,15 and even 20 of the same number. But if you want these you better be rich as the sellers ask double the price or more and also there are certain tickets they say are lucky and they charge more for them also ! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

I have never seen/heard somebody on streets buy ticket whit 80 bth, minimum always has been 100 bth. Most of quota's belong to rich people who send poor people to sell ticket's. And from those who get quota many are government workers. 

There's a seller in Khon Kaen who has a sign up saying 80 baht a ticket but he limits sales to 3 tickets per person, told me I would have to come back the next day for the rest if I wanted more than 3.

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Therein lies a major problem in Thailand.

The Thais expect corruption. ????

That is part of the problem and I think there was a survey a few years that found that a lot of Thais are OK with corruption so long as they benefit from it. I don't know how accurate that is.

Not all Thais are like that though. My wife certainly isn't and that goes for her family and many friends of hers. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Will B Good said:

This will certainly hit the 'little people' at the end of chain........doesn't seem right.

If I'm not mistaken the lottery tickets should all be 80 baht. I always assumed the little people would make something off this already. Am I wrong?  Why are so many little people selling them for 120 or 110?  I noticed this so much more this month after a 2 year absence. At 120 the little people are ripping off the people in general.  This is the rest of often little people. Sorry but at  110, 120 occasionally 130 a ticket I think you need to rephrase your word " little people " it's also quite condescending as well.  A fifty percent profit after already making some baht doesn't make them " little people". 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

My local seller says 100 baht... I walk away... if everyone else did the same the following sale would be the normal price.

No chance. The price would be increased to make up for the loss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The little people who sell at the correct price won't be affected.

Why people buy over-priced tickets I just don't understand.

+1

17 hours ago, LosLobo said:

In the West a lot of lottery profits go to community projects.
Part profits from a Thai online lottery could go to workshops for the disabled.
It would be a win/win scenario. No corruption, better odds for the punter and a more productive disabled cohort.
What could possibly go wrong?

Some very influential people and organisations will lose money.

For example, I seem to remember reading that the Police receive a substantial allocation of tickets. I wonder what  happens to that, and where the money goes. I somehow doubt that your local plod gets one as a bonus with his monthly salary!

How about sending every policeman out for an hour later this week and arresting those illegally overcharging for tickets.

And next month doing the same.

I think the issue could be fixed quickly. 

I often pull off five tickets and hand over 400 baht and enjoy the discussion about the sale price printed on the tickets.

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Oh dear...we are a sensitive 'little' soul.....wrong time of the month for you?

No. You are still very condescending and that comment from you would totally freak out a couple of long term posters on here. Really get a life boomer. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Try living out in rural Thailand. There are many of them out here.

There are many of them on Silom and Sukumvit. Not sure where he lives. But I don't see them charging 120 or 130. Not sure why my post above made you " sad" but you are probably just bored. 
No one even cared to answer my first question which was: Don't  they make something off of the thickets at face value/ 80 baht? 

Edited by alex8912

5 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Jolly good, the Thais are famous for shooting themselves in the foot, this time by overcharging their fellow citizens.

When you live in a me, me, me environment your fellow citizens are there for the taking whenever and wherever the opportunity arises.

Edited by Excel

Every last vendor overcharges because there is no enforcement.  That only 80 THB tickets I've seen are they ones the vendors are attempting to offload a couple of hours before the deadline.

I'd prefer to see it go all online. Therein is the price of greed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, connda said:

Every last vendor overcharges because there is no enforcement.  That only 80 THB tickets I've seen are they ones the vendors are attempting to offload a couple of hours before the deadline.

I'd prefer to see it go all online. Therein is the price of greed.

Exactly. Would you rather buy 2 tickets for 240 or 3 tickets for 240?  I know my answer and I know every Thai persons answer. This in not an industry that is important. Other jobs are available with the same or better income everywhere. 

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

30% of the current tickets are already distributed to charitable organizations for this purpose. They could continue to do this so that they can continue to sell to the public at the correct price.

With the bulk of the sales being on line, also at the correct price, it mean a level playing field for them and the agencies who are creating this overpricing issue should be out of business for good.

Should be!

Correct price, Correct price bla bla bla.......

Anyone who can spend 80 baht on a lottery ticket can sure as heck pay 100 baht....That extra 20 baht is going to a very good cause in supporting the vender with a bare bones  income....

The online plans only purpose is to steal from the poorest of the poor so a few already stinking rich people can get even more stinking rich.....

Anyone that supports this is despicable...

Edited by redwood1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Correct price, Correct price bla bla bla.......

Anyone who can spend 80 baht on a lottery ticket can sure as heck pay 100 baht....That extra 20 baht is going to a very good cause in supporting the vender with a bare bones  income....

The online plans only purpose is to steal from the poorest of the poor so a few already stinking rich people can get even more stinking rich.....

Anyone that supports this is despicable...

Complete and utter nonsense. The mark up does not go to the poor and needy at all. It goes into the bank accounts of greedy agents AT THE EXPENSE of the poor and needy!

Read the full article and then go off and read some more on this topic and get properly informed!

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If you would just read the full article you should understand how it works (as apposed to how it should work)

The article has some good info, but it doesn't match years of reporting that indicates certain families get the tickets from the GLO to distribute to the sellers at the given prices.  Then those families apparently dole them out to others, who sell them onto others. 

It never mentions how much the GLO ultimately gets, how much goes to those families (if they do, in fact exist), and how much is actually paid out in winnings.  The small vendors pay 70.4 baht, but how much of that goes to the GLO?  Is it 100%, or 100% minus a handling fee?