Online lottery ticket sales proposed for year end if overpricing persists

snoop1130

1Bl34hWSAipZ-default.jpg

A plan for the government to launch the online sale of lottery tickets at the end of this year is to be proposed, if the authorities remain unable to prevent the overpricing of the tickets, according to Spokesman for the Government Lottery Office (GLO) Assoc. Prof. Thanawat Pholvichai.

Thanawat’s remark came after complaints of the rampant overpricing of lottery tickets across the country, with prices as high as 120 baht, instead of the set 80 baht, and raids on the offices of two major online lottery ticket dealers.

At the premises of Kong Salak Plus in Bangkok, and Mungkornfa in Nonthaburi, over five million lottery tickets, allegedly bought from vendors who had each been granted a quota of 500 tickets per draw by the GLO, were found. The tickets could not be confiscated because they had already been sold, but not yet delivered to the buyers.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/online-lottery-ticket-sales-proposed-for-year-end-if-overpricing-persists/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-03-29

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

I thought one of the reasons behind the present "paper" lottery was to give a form of employment to the disabled.  What is going to happen to them if it all goes online?

30% of the current tickets are already distributed to charitable organizations for this purpose. They could continue to do this so that they can continue to sell to the public at the correct price.

With the bulk of the sales being on line, also at the correct price, it mean a level playing field for them and the agencies who are creating this overpricing issue should be out of business for good.

Should be!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

30% of the current tickets are already distributed to charitable organizations for this purpose. They could continue to do this so that they can continue to sell to the public at the correct price.

With the bulk of the sales being on line, also at the correct price, it mean a level playing field for them and the agencies who are creating this overpricing issue should be out of business for good.

Should be!

10 minutes ago, DezLez said:

I understand that money goes to charitable organisations but that does not equate to wages. 

I believe that they will have to increase that percentage and or find some other way to compensate the disabled sellers from their loss of income.

I didn't say 30% of the money, I said 30% of the tickets! Please go and read the full article.

• Confused 1

Has anyone ever published the actual price of lottery tickets as they pass through the supply chain through any intermediaries on to the end user?  Or the actual payout percentages? 

I don't recall ever seeing transparent numbers.  Just references to a few families getting filthy rich, the street sellers getting hosed, and the buyers making a real poor payout...  Also quite nebulous regarding how many levels of corruption on the way from the gub'ment to the masses.

No guesses solicited.  Just the facts, if they're available.

Edited by impulse

The sad part to me is that the Thai population (including my now wife) accept this mark up so willingly like it's normal corruption.  

Also what is the procedure with collecting winnings?  When sister In law won a modesty big lotto she went to the man who sold her the ticket to collect and she paid him like 2%?   

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DezLez said:

I thought one of the reasons behind the present "paper" lottery was to give a form of employment to the disabled.  What is going to happen to them if it all goes online?

More unemployment.  ☹️

Thailand - hub of unemployed and distressed people.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Also what is the procedure with collecting winnings?  When sister In law won a modesty big lotto she went to the man who sold her the ticket to collect and she paid him like 2%? 

Yes, this is normal. There is a government tax on all lottery winnings.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

as already discussed, there has to be provision for the disabled folk who currently sell some 30% of the tickets.

Do they get those allocated tickets direct from the gub'ment or is there an intermediate markup?  And what percentage actually makes it to the intended disabled folks vs siphoned off? 

I'm just trying to understand how it really works.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

overpricing of lottery tickets across the country, with prices as high as 120 baht, instead of the set 80 baht

I have seen them higher than 120 baht.  Specially for sets.  I once saw single ticket prices of 150 baht because they were numbers lots of people wanted to buy for that draw.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DezLez said:

I have never seen a disabled lottery ticket seller.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, DezLez said:

Absolutely no reason they could not have a small booth inside a 7/11 operating the machine

• Like 2