Clear instructions to my wife in the event of my untimely demise!!

26 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Your 800k account for extension purposes needs to be solely in your name. BUT, you can designate your wife/gf as a co-signatory, meaning, she can show up at the bank with your passbook and do a withdrawal, as her signature shows up under UV.

I will pull you up right there.

The expert poster I referred to earlier in thread indeed has his wife's signature on his bank book.

The account is not a joint account and works for immigration purposes.

In that case it's his wife.

I personally have been to several banks about doing the same with my gf.

A couple had excellent English and also I spoke on the banks "english hot line"

All replies NO WAY hose.

Also I'm not convinced that even marriage is water tight.

My suggestion on this topic is don't listen to anyone (myself included).

I personally had a bank employee state that "just empty account using ATM" ........idiot. 

Edit: the teller Jim not you. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 3/30/2022 at 7:11 PM, Lacessit said:

I have a Thai will, and an Australian will. Both specify what my executors are required to do.

My Thai GF has a joint account with me. There is enough money in it for her to live on until probate is declared on the assets she will inherit in Thailand, which is usually about 6 months.

I assume from the OP's post his wife is not Thai, in which case the easiest course for her is to engage a reputable agent.

Mine is a Thai and has my bank details and yes the 800k in my account with my Thai bank and she has my pin but assume she could draw down on it, unless the authorities get involved or she can open an account in her name and transfer it
She has a joint account re our running expenses and also a joint account in the UK and yes on my passing a couple of credits will still go in do no need to change that.
I have written everything down and my wishes but not sure if it is that easy and yes been hearing of difficulties of some.

8 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Co-signatory accounts are 'business as usual' at Bangkok Bank.
The co-signatore can be anyone you like -- no need to be a wife or relative.

OK .....I'm off to Bangkok Bank tomorrow. 

Will report back.

24 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Mine is a Thai and has my bank details and yes the 800k in my account with my Thai bank and she has my pin but assume she could draw down on it,

Think some of these posts are guess work.

Above you use ..."but assume she could draw down on it"

Assume not good enough.

In the other post just now you state.......

"Co-signatory accounts are 'business as usual' at Bangkok Bank.

The co-signatore can be anyone you like -- no need to be a wife or relative.".....

If that's the case why isn't your gf co-signator on your 800k account for immigration. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

If that's the case why isn't your gf co-signator on your 800k account for immigration. 

Appears may be possible for a foreign currency account.

Will check this out tomorrow with bank.

Edit: above I mixed up two posts from different guys.

Bottom line is I'm going to Bangkok Bank tomorrow with my gf, who happens to have account with that bank.

Intend to specifically ask re open account and have gf as silent signature. 

Thinking I already know answer. 

Will be waste of time. 

Even if possible still think illegal to access that account upon death. 

Edited by DrJack54

15 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I mentioned nothing in regards to funds  but conversation is a foundation one needs. I suggest the op read his own statement right after the bike 500 C.C.

He responded to me " he love his wife "  I didn't imply in anyway he didn't. 

There is a understanding that things need to be written down account numbers and such but how about sitting down with your wife the one he loved the one he want to make sure she is OK,  then sit down and do it TOGETHER have a conversation as hard as it might be for some talk and put those thoughs on paper so when hopefully not for some time comes she knows herself what to do including gaining access to funds.  He ask for advice that is what I'm giving because from his statement it doesn't come across to me they talk enough? 

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion tha we do not talk enough.

I was lookimg for any insights BEFORE we sit down and talk.

But thank you amyway, any input is better than no input 

????

11 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion tha we do not talk enough.

I was lookimg for any insights BEFORE we sit down and talk.

But thank you amyway, any input is better than no input 

????

I got or drew the conclusion from your opinion or lack of it?  " I was looking for any insights BEFORE we sit down and talk "  that is pretty clear to me that there isn't enough talking but of course that is just my opinion or input?

As you can see your request has been filled with lots of input including mines which I sense you don't seem to except fully my comments.

Here is how I think in my first marriage back home and with my Thai one over 15 years,  I do not consider myself to be a control freak or better choice of words controlling. My goal when my number is up to have some peace of mind not worrying each day so I find myself constantly coming up with better ways when the time she and the rest of the family can move on in peace.  I've handle a number of Will and Trust for my family and currently entrusted with 4 never thought too much about accepting the job but when you actually have to pull out the paperwork and execute you find out you aren't going to make everyone happy. From my experience with other expats living here even with a Will and Trust in Thai and one back home there are still walls to climb since no one seems to be on the same page everyone and office seem to be on a power trip or something. Recently an expat I know well his wife passed away thought he had all the ducks line up when time to execute even the lawyer who drew the thing up even had to get on his knees to get the land office to execute the document? 

Regardless, I wish you well and good luck whether my opinion is valid or not.

Perhaps adding a co signatory is not "business as usual." It certainly was for me -- but as DrJack has found, not everyone has such success.

The following thread has some excellent facts on co signatory accounts -- and some success stories, and not.....

https://aseannow.com/topic/1151433-wife-co-signatory-on-bank-account-bangkok-bank/

• Like 1