How to get Thai people to work at my wife's nail salon in the US?

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Translation: You and/or your wife are not willing to pay a fair salary in America. Otherwise you would be able to employ people.

You want to hire (unqualified?) Thais instead and probably you would pay them less then what you would need to pay Americans.

Now what is wrong with this picture? 

I assumed,

The 'nail salon' is offering services that Thai ladies are uniquely qualified to perform.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

I'd say the de facto min wage in America has been raised to $15/hr, as that's what many places are now offering and still can't get workers. Walmart is offering this, Amazon starts at this and higher in their warehouses, Target is starting some at $20. I'll be bringing over my wife in about a year and won't accept lower than $20, given her BKK hospitality experience, and the hassle involved.

If you search it, the Vietnamese have literally taken over most of the nail business in the U.S.

I doubt a Thai female would get a Visa to work in that business anyway as the suspicion would be they are going for male entertainment.

Our full-time nail technicians make about $7,000 per month, but yet we can't find enough employees.  There is a severe labor shortage in America.  If we brought Thai citizens to America, it would only take 2 months to train them.  Then they could get their nail tech license.  We would pay them the same wage as our current employees.       

• Confused 1

The nail salon industry in the US unfortunately is primarily dominated by the Vietnamese folks.  Finding a Vietnamese nail salon employee who is will to work for a Thai boss is far and few between.  The majority of Thais I know that have gone to work in the US have gone to work in Thai restaurants

Unemployment rate fell to 3.6% after the last stellar jobs report, hovering near a 50 year record low. 
Not easy to find staff when the country is at nearly full employment. 

Edited by LarrySR

On 4/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, cowboys2008 said:

Our full-time nail technicians make about $7,000 per month, but yet we can't find enough employees.  There is a severe labor shortage in America.  If we brought Thai citizens to America, it would only take 2 months to train them.  Then they could get their nail tech license.  We would pay them the same wage as our current employees.       

This sounds reasonable,  assuming your need /offer is above board & legit.  It is indeed a shame that current USG policies give those following the laws/regs administrative difficulties but allow illegals who smell the USG "incentives" can simply walk across the border.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:46 PM, BritManToo said:

I assumed,

The 'nail salon' is offering services that Thai ladies are uniquely qualified to perform.

A silly, shallow slur. Not funny. Not clever. It demeans the commentor more than the Thai girls.  Living permanently in a village limits ones  horizons.  And it shows with comments like the above. Travelling round the west, it's easy  to observe that SE Asians dominate some aspects  of the beauty  business and nail salons are one such  area. Cheap shots about 'unique services ' are shameful anf hypocritical to an educated person especially an avowed user of girls  who provide  sexual services. The problem is that after using poor females for providing  cheap sex the user presumes all females  especially in the beauty  business  are prostitutes.  They are not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

The visa officer at the US Emb in Bkk will instantly reject their visas when they speak of working as a nail artist

If you lie or produce falsified documents then its felony

I started as "nail artist" as well.
I moved up ranks and now perform as a "hammer artist".

Edited by RafPinto

On 4/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, cowboys2008 said:

There is a severe labor shortage in America.

No there isn't , just a glut of lazy people that want to sit at home

Unemployment is 3.6% and 6 million unemployed - hardly call 6 million a labour shortage. 

Edited by RichardColeman

10 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

No there isn't , just a glut of lazy people that want to sit at home

Unemployment is 3.6% and 6 million unemployed - hardly call 6 million a labour shortage. 

Until the Government stops propping up those folks who file jobless and unemployment claims, thus making more money without going to work, and those folks get their sorry butts back to work making a living then many of the businesses who pay the minimum wages will always have employee's come and go...

Edited by ThailandRyan