Would Normal Tourists Accept This?

KhaoYai

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Well no, it wasn't but people do book onward travel - I am refering to normal tourists remember and they are staying for a sert amount of time. What else can they do?  I booked my onward travel in advance and I got the last room available at my chosed hotel - believe it or not, some areas of Thailand are very busy with domestic tourism, especially at weekends.  If you don't know a country, its neither sensible nor cost effective to book travel on the hoof.

Why would anyone who knows nothing about Thailand think that they should ignore a written instruction that test 'the hospital partner MUST report the results within 6 hours'?

Booking onward travel on the fly has always worked just fine for me, even around Songkran. To me booling ahead makes no sense and loses flexibility. This is Thailand, yes test results MIGHT come back within 6 hours (mine within 4.5 hours) and sometimes take considerably longer. Do not travel to Thailand if you expect them to adhere to a promise, go elsewhere. 

39 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Do not travel to Thailand if you expect them to adhere to a promise, go elsewhere. 

You're missing my point - as have several other posters.  Pre-covid, thousands of travellers will have visited Thailand for the first time - far less will do so at the moment but a good proportion of them are still likely be first timers with no knowledge of Thai ways. You have to take your 'connected to Thailand' hat off and put yourself in their shoes.

I met a group of first time German tourists on my last trip - they were very disappointed.

I would guess that the majority of real tourists will definitely not be staying in Bangkok but will be moving on as soon as they are allowed. Are they not entitled to believe the official flyer that states 6 hours?  In all honesty, as a first timer sitting in your home, planning your holiday, would you expect your stay in quarantine to be more than double the stated time or would you book your onward travel based on an official statement?

Most people here don't seem to be able to see this as a genuine tourist would.

As for your statement that you have never had a problem 'booking on the fly' - remember that Thailand has tradtionally attracted a high number of backpackers, budget tourists and students on gap years.  These people often use buses to get around - it can be extremely difficcult to book a bus or a sleeper train around Songkran.  Even with domestic flights, if you leave it until the last minute, you're either going to be out of luck or have to pay a much higher price.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You're missing my point - as have several other posters.  Pre-covid, thousands of travellers will have visited Thailand for the first time - far less will do so at the moment but a good proportion of them are still likely be first timers with no knowledge of Thai ways. You have to take your 'connected to Thailand' hat off and put yourself in their shoes.

I met a group of first time German tourists on my last trip - they were very disappointed.

I would guess that the majority of real tourists will definitely not be staying in Bangkok but will be moving on as soon as they are allowed. Are they not entitled to believe the official flyer that states 6 hours?  In all honesty, as a first timer sitting in your home, planning your holiday, would you expect your stay in quarantine to be more than double the stated time or would you book your onward travel based on an official statement?

Most people here don't seem to be able to see this as a genuine tourist would.

As for your statement that you have never had a problem 'booking on the fly' - remember that Thailand has tradtionally attracted a high number of backpackers, budget tourists and students on gap years.  These people often use buses to get around - it can be extremely difficcult to book a bus or a sleeper train around Songkran.  Even with domestic flights, if you leave it until the last minute, you're either going to be out of luck or have to pay a much higher price.

You keep missing the point that travel as existed pre-covid is not back, there are currently additional hurdles, one of which is a one day quarantine in a sha hotel awaiting the test results. Waiting a bit longer is not the end of the world, what happens if the test is positive could potentially be financially devastating and this is what prevent travellers from going to Thailand. It is not the test, nor waiting time, which is easily handled by anyone with half a brain. It is the potential of being sent to some hospital that is what keeps people away. And in typical Thai fashion, even the touted change to ATK in May does not addtess this issue. Your complaint about test turnout time is laugable compared to the potential consequences of testing positive.

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

You keep missing the point that travel as existed pre-covid is not back, there are currently additional hurdles, one of which is a one day quarantine in a sha hotel awaiting the test results. Waiting a bit longer is not the end of the world, what happens if the test is positive could potentially be financially devastating and this is what prevent travellers from going to Thailand.

But the country IS portayed as open (with limited restrictions) and all genuine tourists have to go on is what they are told by travel companies etc.  Some are coming but they have no idea what awaits them.  Those that are coming are either those of us with connections to Thailand or those that have no knowledge of the pitfalls.  All most tourists do is to check what's the readily available info says - they don't sit and read posts on Asean now. Reading the UK government's website on travelling to Thailand will not reveal any of the pitfalls I've mentioned

If I was going to a country I didn't know, I'd read the normal tourist info, I wouldn't be looking for online forums aimed at ex-pats and regulars.  You it seems, simply cannot take that hat off and look at things how a regular tourist would.  You might not be aware but the Amazing Thailand ads are back on UK TV or that at least one of the larger travel agents here send people who make enquiries, an information pack that includes the addresses of the Thailand Pass application websites and recommended insurers + the TAT flyer that states test results must be reported within 6 hours. 

Why would anyone who has no knowledge of Thailand have any reason to doubt what they are told?  The German tourists I met had no idea that the entertainment venues are closed. I suspect that they will realise that if they do test positive, that's the end of their holiday and clearly those that have come, were prepared to take that risk.  I agree that a postive test could be devastating if their insurers refuse to pay but that's just another wrong that Thailand is creating.  Nowhere is it made clear that tourists could still have to pay if they test positive but don't meet the criteria set out by Thailand.  I also know of nowhere where tourists are advised to make sure their insurance must include close contact insurance - in fact that information appeared briefly on the Thailand Pass website and was then quickly removed.   Yes, many just won't accept even one night's quarantine, special insurance etc.  But some are travelling - my flight was rammed both ways. Those that do come could well find themselves faced with the same situation I was and quite frankly, if I didn't have to travel, I wouldn't be back under current conditions.

Clearly there are people that know the potential pitfalls and refuse to come at the moment - many have posted on various threads on Asean Now that they won't travel yet - they read this site and know what they're in for, most tourists don't know this site exists.  I have first hand experience of five German tourists that had no idea of the conditions in Thailand at the moment, yes only 5 but I don't make a habit of talking to tourists.

You are also giving reasons why tourists won't travel to Thailand and you are correct, many won't so we don't need to worry about them.  My main concern is the long term damage done to an already crippled tourist industry by tourists who were prepared to travel and found what I found.  I think many will be put off travelling there again - especially if they missed onward travel as a result of a late test result

I also think that its wrong of Thailand to present itself as 'open' when it clearly is not - all they want is the tourist's money.  The authorities don't seem to realise the potential future damage they are creating.

1 hour ago, sjaak327 said:

It is not the test, nor waiting time, which is easily handled by anyone with half a brain.

Prey tell how those with 'half a brain' could easily handle that?

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

A moaning old farang has a big old moan over nothing.

You've got to pity the workers/family that need to be around him. 

And how do you know the age of any posters on this site?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Prey tell how those with 'half a brain' could easily handle that?

That is obvious, we seem to be going in circles, by not booking any onward travel until you are sure you test negative. Why is everything so difficult these days ?

So you have exemplified my question - would normal tourists accept this?

I certainly would not accept that and I doubt tourists would either.  I can't speak for other nations but in the UK its normal for people to go on holiday for 2 weeks.  Having already lost 1 day through waiting for a PCR test, I would not want to lose another by leaving it until my test results came back. I would not be prepared to hang around in Bangkok, wasting my holiday.

My flights to and from Chiang Mai were booked before I left the UK.  Even when I'm on a normal holiday, I book any basic travel beforehand and I'd suggest most people do the same.  I may well add additional trips etc. whilst I'm away but I always arrange the main items before I go.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

You were considering a retirement extension almost half a decade ago but were too ill. 

I'm not calling you a liar but I don't ever remember 'considering' a retirement visa. I have always planned to run a business in Thailand so I can't think why I would enquire about retirement.  I might possibly have been asking in general or for a friend but I can't remember a time when my plans changed. But using your guess - 55 is old?

17 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I have always planned to run a business in Thailand so I can't think why I would enquire about retirement.  I might possibly have been asking in general or for a friend but I can't remember a time when my plans changed.

"I was due to move to Thailand this year but may have to delay that due to health problems requiring quite a few hospital visits. Worried that the rules may change on retirement visas I was considering going ahead and applying for a retirement extension. I known that you can get a re-entry permit but will it be frowned upon if I'm actually out of the country more than I'm in?"

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't ever remember 'considering' a retirement visa.

Memory loss due to old age?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Memory loss due to old age?

Ha ha ha - yes probably.  I honestly don't remember having any such thoughts but the last few years have been quite turbulent.  Going by the date on that, I had just got divorced and may have been thinking that I would no longer be able to obtain an extension of stay using my marriage visa.  No idea but normally, I would shy away from a retirement visa - I ain't sticking 800,000 in the bank or paying an agent 20k per year.

Whatever - do you spend a lot of time reading members posts going back 4 years?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...