Would Normal Tourists Accept This?

KhaoYai

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Lots of the OP sounds like a pretty typical international travel experience in the cheap seats, even before Covid.  Some go better, some actually worse.   United out of the USA aspires to do that well.

But I calculate the cost difference per hour to upgrade to a nicer seat, and grin and bear it.  I've done all kinds of unpleasant jobs in my life for less than $100 an hour.  

Ha ha someone who thinks like me. I too am pretty happy to put up with a bit of discomfort in a plane, a few hours in an airport etc all the while saving a few hundred dollars.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Lots of the OP sounds like a pretty typical international travel experience in the cheap seats, even before Covid.  Some go better, some actually worse.   United out of the USA aspires to do that well.

But I calculate the cost difference per hour to upgrade to a nicer seat, and grin and bear it.  I've done all kinds of unpleasant jobs in my life for less than $100 an hour.  

I've travelled to Thailand for over 20 years and I can guarantee you, my experience was nothing to do with 'cheap seats'.

At all 3 airports, both outbound and return, the queues at Qatar check in and baggage collection were very noticeable by their size. Yiu didn't need to ask which check in they were using - just head for the largest queue.

yeh i lost the op when he mentioned he organised a hotel taxi and wasnt happy when a van arrived with other customers on board, when he clearly asked for a solo trip!

Lol thats Thailand and the more time you spend here the more you have to just brush these type of things off, as the are a regular occurrence and they will take advantage of you if you let them.

9 hours ago, actonion said:

An interesting note... I was talking to the sister of  Thai lady restaurant owner in East pattaya, she was telling me  about her arrival experience at Bangkok airport having arrived that very afternoon from Belgium, i asked why are  you not staying  the 24 hours in a hotel like all arrivals to Thailand..

She replied  if you 'pay enough'  you dont have to stay !!!

And there is the Thai magic

Qatar Airways are busy....  they have been on of the few reliable options throughout the pandemic, they cancel very few flights and stick to schedule, they offer free changes, free cancellation. 

As a result everyone seems to know that if they book QR they will travel, if they book TG you never know !

Regarding the arrival issues: No van and long time to process PCR.

Which hotel and how much was the T&G rate ?

I’ve been in and out of Thailand a number of times now and have had no issues, flight are getting busier - some T&G hotels are taking the pish...  others are reliably good.

I’ve just cancelled my T&G hotel at Grande Centre Point T21 (used them twice before) after I saw that they were offering a discount to Thai’s but not foreigners, I told them why I was cancelling (dual pricing) there response was just ‘noted’ !!!

One other point - book T&G through Agoda (always) they have better control over the refunds. 

Agoda has ‘Easy Cancel’ option and if chosen anyone can cancel for any reason up to 3 days before hand.

• Like 2

I normally travel business class to and from UK, but in the last six months have travelled there twice in Economy.

Two of the most pleasant long haul economy flights that I have had. Partly due to the low numbers of passengers. Flights left on time, Covid passenger processing through airport arrival and Covid hotel testing all went smoothly

My worst problem was arriving London hotel at 08:30am and no room check in until after 2pm.

Suvarnabhumi was a bit of a let down both times due to most restaurants, and many shops being closed air side. Couldn't get a meal. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I've travelled to Thailand for over 20 years and I can guarantee you, my experience was nothing to do with 'cheap seats'.

At all 3 airports, both outbound and return, the queues at Qatar check in and baggage collection were very noticeable by their size. Yiu didn't need to ask which check in they were using - just head for the largest queue.

Flying through 3 airports, one of them being abu dhabi (or that area) in this day and age is asking for a ruff trip. Just travle to london and fly direct, would be easier and less stresfull.

As mentioned not flying economy would help also, especially direct as you will not have any queues at the airport.