TurboTAX without a verifiable USA phone number.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't know but I use taxact.com and they ask for that phone number near the end of the filing process but then allow you to proceed without it. Are you really sure that turbotax strictly requires it?

indeed.    Can't proceed/continue without it.   There must be 10's of thousands of expats without a USA phone number.    As one poster suggested, it could cost around $450 a year for an actual phone number.      Damn!

Edited by In Full Agreement
5 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

indeed.    Can't proceed/continue without it.   There must be 10's of thousands of expats without a USA phone number.    As one poster suggested, it could cost around $450 a year for an actual phone number.      Damn!

Maybe switch to taxact?

I file there free.

You can get a longer extension until October 15 if you want.

I must say taxact has a screen that very much looks as if the number is required but then it isn't.

Maybe turbo might be the same.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe switch to taxact?

I file there free.

You can get a longer extension until October 15 if you want.

I must say taxact has a screen that very much looks as if the number is required but then it isn't.

Maybe turbo might be the same.

For sure, TurboTax isn't the same.     Without the phone number,  progress is ground to a halt.

How did you get past  the page requiring a phone number?     Did it simply allow you to click continue and be  along your way? 

I've searched but haven't found a definitive answer to the question "does the  IRS  require a verifiable  phone number for 2021 taxes."   My  Google search turned up a lot of companies wanting to offer paid tax advice as well as preparation  services and software. 

Even if the IRS accepts the return, it doesn't mean they'll not ask for it later.   (This came up in my search).  At least getting the return accepted by the IRS is a good first start

1 minute ago, In Full Agreement said:

For sure, TurboTax isn't the same.     Without the phone number,  progress is ground to a halt.

How did you get past  the page requiring a phone number?     Did it simply allow you to click continue and be  along your way? 

I've searched but haven't found a definitive answer to the question "does the  IRS  require a verifiable  phone number for 2021 taxes."   My  Google search turned up a lot of companies wanting to offer paid tax advice as well as preparation  services and software. 

Even if the IRS accepts the return, it doesn't mean they'll not ask for it later.   (This came up in my search).  At least getting the return accepted by the IRS is a good first start

I never file until October so I don't remember all the details from last year.

7 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

But don't you still have to basically figure out your taxes and pay them accordingly to avoid interest and penalties?

Yes  I know I owe nothing.

The automatic expat extension is to June 15. You have to file for October 15.

OOPS!

Please accept my apology but I think there was likely an error in my memory!

I think the taxact threatening screen was more likely about a state drivers license not phone.

I probably have been giving them a US phone number but not verifiable. Voip that doesn't accept texts.

Taxact might still work for you  Perhaps you can contact their customer service.

• Like 1

Update on my experience with taxact.com in relation to requirement for US CELL phone number for 2FA. 

Well, I just logged in successfully for the first time since last October. I've been with them for years and they know I live abroad.

I was able to login with an EMAIL based 2FA.

I was prompted to update my info including a cell phone number (it didn't specify US based) upon login but I just clicked LATER.

I have no idea yet whether this cell phone issue will come up late up actually filing.

Cheers.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2022 at 12:27 AM, In Full Agreement said:

Can't proceed/continue without it.   There must be 10's of thousands of expats without a USA phone number.    As one poster suggested, it could cost around $450 a year for an actual phone number.

A t-mobile phone number is only $3/month. No data. 30 minutes talk. and SMS also. 
https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Month-Plan-Roaming-Countries/dp/B08KLBGPR1

Edited by Onerak

The OP should read comments here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-try-efile-but-i-get-message-invalid-sms-number-must-be-between-10-and-10-digits-i-retyped-personal/00/1527810

In summary, the telephone number in Intuit account needs to match that being used to prepare taxes in TurboTax. I get the impression no other verification steps are needed (e.g., to respond to an SMS). So if you do not have a US-based telephone number, use that of a friend, or some gin-joint location that you can glean from Googling.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Doesn't that need to be activated first in the U.S.?

I am not sure but may be so. I have it for a long time (may be 10-years or more). But somebody (friend/family) can activate the SIM card and send it to Thailand. 

Edited by Onerak