Elderly patients not being responsible by shunning booster shot, says senior doctor

webfact

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Sometimes you need to grab the bull by the horns go out there and do it yourself.

Wow  ....  you stormed the hospital, grabbed a vial & stuck the needle in your arm!  Only kidding .... you're right  ....  you could be waiting for an appointment forever!  

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Got my first booster last month, a municipal building 2 minutes walk from my home.

Told the lady next door to go get her booster, as she was due.

I had to talk her into her first two shots at the same place as she was told by friends not to have them due to stupid beliefs.

All her friends got the Delta variant as they were unprotected, she didn't go as she decided it was unnecessary.

Last week she got Omicron and gave it to her daughter & granddaughter.

Can't cure stupid.

Having got the booster would not have prevented her getting infected and passing it on to her daughter and grand-daughter.

6 hours ago, law ling said:

In some up-country towns, shots are not easy: I took someone to their second-shot appointment at their local hospital, and it took  four and a half hours.

Think that's why UK vaccination roll out was successful, every shot I've had taken no more than 25 minutes from entry to exit. Get organized and make it easy for people to do and more may be inclined to get it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whiteman said:

I have not been offered a booster shot still waiting to hear over 5 months since 2nd shot I asked my hospital a fortnight ago they said no have.

Strange. Where are you? I had mine in January at a walk in vaccination site in Udon Thani. Also I know there are walk in sites in smaller places in Esaan. These sites are not usually in hospitals. Perhaps they are just answering  that they 'no have' but not offering more info. on where you can get vaccinated. Thais often do this; answer a specific question without telling you anything else obviously connected to the subject.

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Well that's up to them isn't it. Their body, their choice. My Pfizer booster gave me a lot of issues for about 8 weeks and frankly if I could go back in time I would have stuck with the 2 x AZ I had. 

Omicron is probably the best booster available now. 

I am 69 and had no side effects at all from my Thai Pfizer booster. Maybe your injection was not aspirated. Many have had serious side effects when the needle has injected directly into a blood vessel in the muscle sending the vaccine around the body almost instantly when it should stay in the muscle. Aspiration; the slight withdrawal of the needle after inserting it to check for blood from a blood vessel prevents this from happening.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

I am 69 and had no side effects at all from my Thai Pfizer booster. Maybe your injection was not aspirated. Many have had serious side effects when the needle has injected directly into a blood vessel in the muscle sending the vaccine around the body almost instantly when it should stay in the muscle. Aspiration; the slight withdrawal of the needle after inserting it to check for blood from a blood vessel prevents this from happening.

That's possible. It's also possible these issues could occur for the elderly Thai people in the title of this thread. 

Fortunately I am under 50 with no major health issues and I have shook off 95% of the side effects. I don't believe it's fair to label elderly people with genuine concerns about taking a third dose of a largely untested vaccine "irresponsible".

3 months ago young people were being pressured to take the vaccine to "save Grannie". Now Grannie is being labelled irresponsible. That's disingenuous in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, law ling said:

1. Well, doctor, give us the stats on the "vaccination status" , "age" and "serious infection/death".

2. The elderly are being shamed now for no booster, but in a few months it'll be all of us without a second booster being shamed ... and then without a third booster ..., etc.

3. In some up-country towns, shots are not easy: I took someone to their second-shot appointment at their local hospital, and it took  four and a half hours.

An information campaign is needed also, something like: 'if you had Sinovac before, consider yourself currently unvaccinated, as those vaccines will do nothing for you now.' I think a lot of people don't realize the metrics have evolved and their previous 2 innoculations are useless. It's up to Mr. Hemp to inform the public, but he is distracted with other business ventures.

• Like 2

While the effects of the vaccine may vary, I believe it is worth taking the shots. I had 2 Astra and one Moderna booster in January. I am over 60 and have diabetes type 2. Two weeks ago I tested positive for Covid. While self isolating I had none of the serious effects I would expect. Mostly it showed as a continuous runny nose and an intermittent cough. Then after 2 weeks I tested negative. I can only put it down to the vaccines.

While people may make their own decisions, you are taking a chance by not taking the simple precaution of being boosted. There is a lot of mythology out there but the fact is the vaccines have been developed after a lot of research and really do work. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html?s_cid=11714:covid antibodies vs vaccine:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY22

• Like 2

21 hours ago, whiteman said:

I have not been offered a booster shot still waiting to hear over 5 months since 2nd shot I asked my hospital a fortnight ago they said no have.

You need to be proactive.... there were no SMS messages sent out to me this time either.... got 2 different ones for jab #1. Find out where jabs are being given, they are often walk in with your vaccination certificate and likely your passport  all that is needed. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, mokwit said:

Likewise. There is no way I am having that mRNA poison in my body again. I don't understand what the benefit of making your body display a foreign protein on the surface of your cells is. For what benefit vs the established technology of AZ?

OK this AU Government symptom checker actually mentions severe abdominal pain as a Covid 19 vaccination symptom and suggest "Go to an ER right now"

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/symptom-checker/tool?symptom=CVVR

It does not appear in the standard lists of expected symptoms/show up in Google searches.