TH renting: "We will fix it right away after you move in."

A few times now, while inspecting rental properties, I've been told things like:

- "After you sign the lease we will give it a complete clean before you move in."

- "2 weeks after you move in, we will install the oven/bathtub/showerhead/locks on the top drawers."

Have always kept a straight face while internally dying of laughter and immediately walking away. It seems such a transparent p*ss-take.

Initially thought I was being made the butt of some kind of joke, but has happened so many times now, am beginning to think it could actually be the way things are done around here.

Has anyway had personal experience with this particular style of Thai promise? Did the promised improvements materialise.... Promptly? At all? 

Thanks

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Yeah....they like the guarantee of money coming in before they commit to actually spending any....of your money on the repairs. It's a 'local' thing. Of course, just walk away. ???? 

Are you being sarcastic? Thanks.

I have found that you need to be careful when the word "will" is used by Thais when talking about things they will do as part of a deal / transaction. Always insist that the things they say they will do are done before you commit / pay. Too often things are said to appease a potential customer when there is no genuine intention to see through on what was promised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rose33 said:

Are you being sarcastic? Thanks.

Why would you think that I was being sarcastic?? If they haven't already fixed those issues, they are waiting for your money to arrive to fix them...if at all.

Twice on potential rentals I asked about the same thing. They both claimed it would be done and neither did it. 

I walked away and found a better place.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 10:46 AM, mstevens said:

I have found that you need to be careful when the word "will" is used by Thais when talking about things they will do as part of a deal / transaction. Always insist that the things they say they will do are done before you commit / pay. Too often things are said to appease a potential customer when there is no genuine intention to see through on what was promised.

Of course, this concern is exactly why I posted.

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your experiences.

On 4/12/2022 at 10:49 AM, Bruno123 said:

Why would you think that I was being sarcastic?? If they haven't already fixed those issues, they are waiting for your money to arrive to fix them...if at all.

Twice on potential rentals I asked about the same thing. They both claimed it would be done and neither did it. 

I walked away and found a better place.

Thank you. So, it was a case of 'third time lucky' for you?