Entered 30 Day Visa Exempt and want to do 90 day extension - confirm requirements

Dear Forum Members,

I'm UK passport holder and entered Thailand on 30 Day visa exempt on April 1st. Can I apply for a 90 day day extension at my local immigration office (Samui), or do I need to do a 30 day extension first? And, if possible to do 90 day extension what are the requirements/documents to be submitted?

My original intention was to apply for retirement Non 0, but I need to exit Thailand for three months from mid-July so would rather postpone this until I return in October.

Thanks in advance for advise and feedback.

• Confused 1

As noted above, there is no 90-day extension of a tourist (including visa exempt) entry with the special exceptions of medical extensions or extensions due to involvement in a court case.

Under certain circumstances, apart from the regular 30-day extension and possible 60-day Covid extension, you may be able to apply for a "conversion" Non Immigrant visa at Immigration. This is not an extension, but results in you having a fresh 90-day permission to stay.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

As noted above, there is no 90-day extension of a tourist (including visa exempt) entry with the special exceptions of medical extensions or extensions due to involvement in a court case.

Under certain circumstances, apart from the regular 30-day extension and possible 60-day Covid extension, you may be able to apply for a "conversion" Non Immigrant visa at Immigration. This is not an extension, but results in you having a fresh 90-day permission to stay.

Thanks - I think that's what I had in mind (convert to Non Immigrant visa with an additional 90 days). I'll have sufficient funds deposited in three days' time and showing as coming from out of country. Would you know if Immigration (Samui) will be open over Songkran? I understand I need to request the conversion max 15 days prior to end of 30 day visa exempt period, so it might be tight if there's govt. holiday and closures.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is not 90 day extension you can apply for.

You could apply for the 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry and then a 60 day covid 19 extension prior to May 24th.

Great, thanks....that gives me sufficient time in Thailand for now. I'm also considering a conversion to Non immigrant with 90 day stay.

59 minutes ago, Conrad65 said:

Thanks - I think that's what I had in mind (convert to Non Immigrant visa with an additional 90 days). I'll have sufficient funds deposited in three days' time and showing as coming from out of country. Would you know if Immigration (Samui) will be open over Songkran? I understand I need to request the conversion max 15 days prior to end of 30 day visa exempt period, so it might be tight if there's govt. holiday and closures.

Immigration will be closed from tomorrow, reopening Monday April 18. (when they will probably be insanely busy).

15 hours ago, Conrad65 said:

87EC51C7-093C-48B1-BCC0-A75C3ECF1D99.thumb.png.39f081fcbc7c78eb1da76bc37f51e440.png

do note 5.3 

many offices will require proof of funds from overseas.

Some offices only require that the amount is correct.

AD5389D7-7B37-4494-8E9B-1808A20C0275.thumb.png.a30cf607aca1f3faa583269880d9f5b4.png

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

Immigration will be closed from tomorrow, reopening Monday April 18. (when they will probably be insanely busy).

For conversion to Non O (90 days) will I be out of time after 18 April? I've read reference to applying no less than 15 days prior to end of stay (I arrived 01 April visa exempt 30 days)? 

25 minutes ago, Conrad65 said:

For conversion to Non O (90 days) will I be out of time after 18 April? I've read reference to applying no less than 15 days prior to end of stay (I arrived 01 April visa exempt 30 days)? 

The 15 days before can be from the 30 day extension you can apply for.

Many offices will do the 30 day extension and the non-o visa application during the same trip to immigration.

As @ubonjoe indicated, you will need to get the 30-day extension before applying for the Non O visa. Given that this will be needed anyway, you might want to wait until a couple of days after April 18 to apply for the extension and then visa. Monday will likely be a madhouse.

• Like 1